transmission cooler lines - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
wirenut
wirenut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
transmission cooler lines

I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 5.2 liter. The transmission lines did not run through the radiator, they went to an auxiliary cooler only.My transmission burned up and the dealer did'nt understand why it only had the auxiliary cooler.I have taken it to a transmission shop and they said they had never seen this.I have looked at another two wheel drive truck and it was the same way.Why would Dodge only use the auxiliary cooler and not run it through the radiator?I had to replace my radiator and the new one comes with the line hookups for the transmission lines.I need to know if the line from the pump goes to the top or bottom of the radiator before it goes to the the cooler and then back to the transmission.Does anyone know if this will help keep the tranny fluid cooler?I My truck has the tow package on it,I believe that dodge installed a radiator for a manual shift in this truck from the factory.
Thanks for any help with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 PM
tactransman
Transmission Man!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The line from the front of the trans (and check ball) goes to the bottom on the radiator.
Does this help? (pay no attention to the aux cooler hook up)

Terry aka tactransman
'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

#3 Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 PM
spun360

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
i had to study the picture for a while just to learn. thats a unique set up for a trans cooler. someones been doing some work. the cooler set up you run flows in parallel. this causes the fluid to run for the path of least resistance. is it the heat exchange on the rad or the cooler that flows better? to do it this way also increases flow. how well do you think it works for you? most rebuild shops exempt the rad heat exchange to cool better. i run my heat exchange to lower crank case oil temps. my trans cost me $2500 for the HD rebuild and i'm very interested in conserving it! originaly the trans exterior lines run in sequence. the hotter side being the check ball side. was it supposed to go in the bottom of the heat exchange first then to the cooler then back to the trany? i hear alot about your advice and respect your opinions. thanx
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.