transmission cooler lines - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

wirenut

transmission cooler lines - Posted: 08-22-2009, 07:22 AM
wirenut
City: Sanford
State: FL
Post #1

I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 5.2 liter. The transmission lines did not run through the radiator, they went to an auxiliary cooler only.My transmission burned up and the dealer did'nt understand why it only had the auxiliary cooler.I have taken it to a transmission shop and they said they had never seen this.I have looked at another two wheel drive truck and it was the same way.Why would Dodge only use the auxiliary cooler and not run it through the radiator?I had to replace my radiator and the new one comes with the line hookups for the transmission lines.I need to know if the line from the pump goes to the top or bottom of the radiator before it goes to the the cooler and then back to the transmission.Does anyone know if this will help keep the tranny fluid cooler?I My truck has the tow package on it,I believe that dodge installed a radiator for a manual shift in this truck from the factory.
Thanks for any help with this.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

tactransman

Posted: 08-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Transmission Man!
City: Gerald, Mo.
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

The line from the front of the trans (and check ball) goes to the bottom on the radiator.
Does this help? (pay no attention to the aux cooler hook up)

'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

spun360

Posted: 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM
City: Pottstown
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

i had to study the picture for a while just to learn. thats a unique set up for a trans cooler. someones been doing some work. the cooler set up you run flows in parallel. this causes the fluid to run for the path of least resistance. is it the heat exchange on the rad or the cooler that flows better? to do it this way also increases flow. how well do you think it works for you? most rebuild shops exempt the rad heat exchange to cool better. i run my heat exchange to lower crank case oil temps. my trans cost me $2500 for the HD rebuild and i'm very interested in conserving it! originaly the trans exterior lines run in sequence. the hotter side being the check ball side. was it supposed to go in the bottom of the heat exchange first then to the cooler then back to the trany? i hear alot about your advice and respect your opinions. thanx
Closed Thread