DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IMPORTANT LED Replacement Bulb Info For 02-06 rams

19K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  DeMoN-HeMi 
#1 ·
:teacher: Ok, for anyone who wants to add LED replacement bulbs to our rams, and they have a 02-06 ram with the circut boards on the tails, most charts will tell you to use a 3057 bulb, more commonly known as a 3157, well what most wont know is that there are whats called a 3157 SRCK bulb, so what that means that the 2 bulb types share plug sockets but the wiring in the sockets are different, now why is this little bit of information important, because the use of a regular 3157 LED bulb can cause a few different things to happen, some as simple as the bulb just not working, but also a bulb i tested actually caused a short in the system, which had it been hooked up to the truck, it would have shorted out the FCM, and we all know the FCM is not something to mess with on our truck, and its not a cheap part to mess up on a regular basis, so in short if you are going to replace the bulbs in your tails with LED bulbs BE VERY CAREFULL, if you get the wrong one it can be a costly mistake.

now this only applies to the TAIL LIGHT CIRCUT BOARDS, of an 02-06 ram, no where else is this a concern to our trucks, if you have an 07-up, you dont even need to be reading this :D

Below is a few PIX that show the difference in the wiring between the 2 bulb types

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The Demon is always on duty... haha. :D

#4 ·
Good to know. Thanks!!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info because I was thinking about getting some for mines.

#16 ·
X2

#8 ·
You need the SRCK ones like he said. :D

Thanks demon! :D

#10 ·
This happened to me. I've bought 3 different types of LED bulbs and they all started smoking once I plugged them in. What a nightmare. Now I shall try this one more time. Thanks Demon!

#11 ·
I just found out that SRCK are also known as SACK. Just fyi. :D

#12 ·
SACK - Amber Light
SRCK - Red Light

With LEDs its reccomended that you match the color of the lense with the bulbs, ex: red tails - Red LEDs, i just didnt mention the SACK ones to avoid any confusion, and so no one goes and buys amber bulbs for brakelights :cool:

#15 ·
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up and lack of headaches in the future! :D

#20 ·
I would read this AFTER i bought bulbs I shouldnt have bought. The LED's i put in are extremely weak and caused the "lamp out" light to come on and now the check engine light just popped on. Is this a result of the wrong type of bulbs being installed?

#22 ·
first thing is put your regular bulbs back in asap, then as long as they all still function the fcm should be ok, but putting in the wrong bulbs can cause a short, which would blow fuses and possibly fry your fcm, so if you replace all bulbs with factory ones and they all work, start checking EVERY fuse, and then reset the pcm and see if the CEL comes back on

#23 ·
dont start makin people think my name is david

#28 ·
then it sounds like you may have messed up your FCM, did you wire in resistors?

#30 ·
and those are the ones that will kill your truck too, you cant buy cheap bulbs for our trucks or you will do what this guy did

#31 ·
Dont do that seriously. Thanks for your help Demon i got it all sorted out now. One of the bulbs wasnt in all the way causing the lamp out light to come on.

#32 ·
glad to hear you got it all sorted out, now just put about 50-100 miles on your truck and see if your CEL comes back, if it does tell us about the code and we will see whats up, but also if you want to still put LEDs in your tails the type of bulbs to get are listed in this thread but i can give you a few sites that sell LEDs but the srck bulbs are more expensive than the rest but they wont short you out, and also if you do this man, remember your resistors!

#34 ·
then thats all you need is any that will plug into those sockets, but make sure you get RED bulbs and not WHITE, you always want to match the lens color to the bulb color on the LEDs or you will take away from the light output

#35 ·
Do the reverse lights need to be the SRCK type or can they be the standard 3157?

#36 ·
srck is a red led, so i wouldnt use it, but yes any 3157 bulb would work

#37 ·
hey demon what led light would you recomend for the reverse light i want to get a set of led tails but none come with a led reverse so what one would you suggest for that or am i s.o.l.

#40 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.