Do and Dont's for PA Body Lift on 00 Durango SLT - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango - Tire/Wheel/Susp Talk

Closed Thread

fabb_3

Post Do and Dont's for PA Body Lift on 00 Durango SLT - Posted: 08-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Post #1

I did the PA body lift on my 2000 4.7 D SLT. I had already done the T/S lift about year ago. I was not going to do the body lift but I came across one for a price I could not pass by. $150.00 shipped to my door.

I had the help of my brother and had every tool necessary to do the job. Breaker bar, torque wrench and Air tools.

Well, the install was not so much hard as it was time consuming and annoying. We started off the install by following the directions word for word. After about the second page we stopped because we had no idea what they were talking about. There are a bunch of directions telling you to unclip this and un do that that we frankly skipped right over them. We had the bumpers off and ready to get the body in the air in under 2 hours. We started the whole project at about 5pm and had it in the air by 7, blocks installed and torqued down. That is when we started up on the bumpers. The one fall back of the kit that I got was that it was missing the nuts so we were only able to get so far before we had stop for the night to get nuts from the hardware store. We got all of the bumper brackets installed but could not go any further because of the lack of nuts.

The next day we started at 10am got the nuts and finished the rear and front bumpers. It was actually not as hard as I thought it was going to. The rear bumper brackets seemed pretty straight forward...Got the front and back bumpers on no problem.

The two biggest pains of the whole job were the steering extension (did not it at all, I had to grind it down a lot to get it to fit) and the radiator hose extension. I could not get the metal part into the hose. Really annoying. Once we got that together it was pretty much straight forward with the rest. Just putting guards and stuff back on. We gone finished at about 3:30pm and that included 2 runs to the parts house.

There were a few things that we did not even do and did not run into any problems:
1. Passenger side ground did not need to be removed (we did remove diver side)
2. Some automatic tranny line did not need to be removed
3. We did not lengthen the fuel filler and breather lines...We just used one of the provided brackets to bolt it back up to the body
4. Cutting and welding of the 4x4 engagement lever. We got enough room out of the stock adjustments
5. The rear bumper was not nearly as hard as most make it out to be.

There were a few other things that we did not do but obviously so small I can not remember what they were,.

We got done and had the garage all cleaned up by 3:30pm so over all the lift took us about 9.5 hours.

The lift was not so much hard as it is time consuming.

Hope this helps some people out.

Pics if requested!

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
T/S Lift, 3" PA Accessories Body Lift
Ultra Type 164 Wheels, 33x12.5 Maxxis Bighorns
JVC KDAR-480 CD Player with iPod hook up
Pioneer 10" Sub, 400 watt amp
Magnaflow Muffler
Hard wired TomTom Navigation
TRC-503 CB Radio
Leather Interior, 3rd Row Seat

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

qtipextra

Posted: 08-04-2009, 10:08 AM
^BIG D^
City: Idaho Falls
State: ID
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #2

What do you mean by "pics if requested". You should know that if you are going to post about something like this that you need to post pics even without a request lol.

Good info though I am sure someone will find it helpful in the future.

Interior: Double DIN Pioneer HU - 141.7 dB Sound System - Dash Mat - Blue L.E.D Interior Lighting - Blue Gauge Backlighting - Audiovox 2-Way Remote Start - 6 Gauge Cluster Swap
Exterior: Black 1 Piece DEPO headlights - 55W DDM 5000K HID 9007 BiXenon - Hella Optilux 2500 Driving lights - 55W DDM 5000K HID H3 - 3rd Brake light decal "BIG D" - Dodge Hitch/Cover - Dodge Logo on Tinted Tails - Stainless Steel Bar Grill Inserts - Gibson 4" Exhaust Tip
Performance: Dynomax Bullet Muffler - Flowmonster High Flow Catalytic Converter - Chrome Intakes CAI - Superchips 3715 at 91 Octane - NGK V-Power Plugs
Tires/Wheels/Lift: 3" PA Body Lift - 2" T/S Lift - 33 X 11.5 X 16 Firestone Destination M/T Tires - MB Gunner 6 Gun metal gray 16X8 rims
Drivetrain: Rebuilt 545RFE Trans with Transgo Shift Kit - 4.56:1 R/P Motive gears - Auburn High Performance LSD

My Truck Domain

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

fabb_3

Posted: 08-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Post #3

LOL, I never took pics of the truck but I would go out and take them if wanted. I guess I will take some pics in the morning and post em up.

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
Magnaflow Muffler
TRC-503 CB Radio

Chowder

Posted: 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Wheeler and Dealer
Post #4

This is pretty helpful...I've been holding off on doing this lift because I honestly don't have a lot of know-how, and I was figuring I could take it to a shop to get it done. Well, I got a quote for 1,200 bucks today, parts and labor...and now I'm thinking I could just buy the tools I need to do it myself for that much haha. I did the T/S lift myself (with the help of a buddy of mine,) I'm guessing this isn't too much more involved.

So did the instructions come with the kit, or did you have an online guide? I really need to find a place with a list of tools and parts I'll be required to have. Do you have any info like that? My 32's are getting worn out and I'm looking to move up to 33's when they're done...
600 watt Polk Audio amp 2x 10" MTX subs
Flowmaster Super 40 Series (SI/SO)
115,000 and climbing....

fabb_3

Posted: 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Here is before and after pics.

Fist pic is the day I bought the D...All Stock

Second pic is after the T/S lift and 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorn tires and Ultra 164 wheels

Third pic is with the T/S lift, PA Body lift and the 31x10.5

What do you guys think? Do you think I should go with 33's or stick with the 31's? The 31's have about 90% tread left so I can't really just get rid of them unless I sell them to get the 33's.

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
Magnaflow Muffler
TRC-503 CB Radio

fabb_3

Posted: 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
This is pretty helpful...I've been holding off on doing this lift because I honestly don't have a lot of know-how, and I was figuring I could take it to a shop to get it done. Well, I got a quote for 1,200 bucks today, parts and labor...and now I'm thinking I could just buy the tools I need to do it myself for that much haha. I did the T/S lift myself (with the help of a buddy of mine,) I'm guessing this isn't too much more involved.

So did the instructions come with the kit, or did you have an online guide? I really need to find a place with a list of tools and parts I'll be required to have. Do you have any info like that? My 32's are getting worn out and I'm looking to move up to 33's when they're done...
Honestly the job was not that hard. I used Air tools to make it go faster and it did. If you were to want to do it your self all you would need is basic hand tools.

Here is a list:
Breaker Bar
Torque Wrench, torque body bolts to 55 ft lbs
3/8" Drive Ratchet and Sockets
3/8" 3" & 6" extension
1/2" Drive ratchet
1/2" 3" & 6" extension
1/2" Drive sockets, Deep and Standard, Metric and Standard as well
Closed end wrenches: Standard and Metric
I used 2 Sicissor style jacks...One from my dodge and one from a honda civic to lift the body
Utility Knife (to cut radiator hose)
A screw driver or two
Common Sense

The tools are pretty basic. I did the job in my parents garage and I literally brought every tool in my garage and every tool in my brothers garage. We had WAY to much stuff. We brought all the tools just in the worst case but really didn't end up using most of them.

As far as the directions my lift came with a set of paper directions. The directions are good for the first 2 pages and then after that I had no idea what they were talking about so I put them down. The pictures suck so dont even bother trying to look at them.

Bottom line all you are doing is unbolting 12 bolts, lifting the body off the frame, adding blocks and bolting it back in.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
Magnaflow Muffler
TRC-503 CB Radio

Zenne

Posted: 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM
in time
City: Long Island, NY
State: NY
Post #7

Not bad. I just did the PA body lift on my own over the weekend, though it actually took me some time Monday as well since I didn't have help, what a pain in the ass to do alone. Agreed the instructions are basically useless and ridiculously overcomplicated, plus you can't see a damn thing in those tiny black and white pictures in the booklet. Hardest part for me definitely was the steering extension, but once I worked it out it went together smooth enough. the rear bumper gave me some trouble simply because it's a lot for one person to mount such a big unwieldy piece all alone. I took tons of pics and in the near future I'm actually going to do a full write up on the install for anyone else interested in putting this lift on an '03.

fabb_3

Posted: 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Post #8

Yes, the steering extension is a bitch for sure....and I can see how the rear bumper would be a pain to install all by yourself....

A write up with pics would be awesome!

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
Magnaflow Muffler
TRC-503 CB Radio

Zenne

Posted: 08-05-2009, 09:35 PM
in time
Post #9

I posted pretty much all the pics I have with brief descriptions in my new thread in this section, full write up comes later when I have more free time and I'm not feeling as lazy lol.

qtipextra

Posted: 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
^BIG D^
Post #10

Looks pretty sweet. I would suggest going with a little bigger tire. At least a 32, if not a 33.

Interior: Double DIN Pioneer HU - 141.7 dB Sound System - Dash Mat - Blue L.E.D Interior Lighting - Blue Gauge Backlighting - Audiovox 2-Way Remote Start - 6 Gauge Cluster Swap
Exterior: Black 1 Piece DEPO headlights - 55W DDM 5000K HID 9007 BiXenon - Hella Optilux 2500 Driving lights - 55W DDM 5000K HID H3 - 3rd Brake light decal "BIG D" - Dodge Hitch/Cover - Dodge Logo on Tinted Tails - Stainless Steel Bar Grill Inserts - Gibson 4" Exhaust Tip
Performance: Dynomax Bullet Muffler - Flowmonster High Flow Catalytic Converter - Chrome Intakes CAI - Superchips 3715 at 91 Octane - NGK V-Power Plugs
Tires/Wheels/Lift: 3" PA Body Lift - 2" T/S Lift - 33 X 11.5 X 16 Firestone Destination M/T Tires - MB Gunner 6 Gun metal gray 16X8 rims
Drivetrain: Rebuilt 545RFE Trans with Transgo Shift Kit - 4.56:1 R/P Motive gears - Auburn High Performance LSD

My Truck Domain

Chowder

Posted: 08-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Wheeler and Dealer
Post #11

fabb: thanks for the info! I have pretty much all those tools, I might need another jack but that's about it. Also, you need 33's bra! The whole reason I want the PA lift is so I can fit 33's

Zenne: A full writeup would be awesome! I think I can handle this, but any extra help and advice would be great. I have a bicycle but other than that my Durango's my main mode of transportation, so I can't have it out of commission for several days while I'm messing around

By the way, this is what mine looks like now with 32's:

I think 33's and some nice rims would make it look so much better!
115,000 and climbing....

Zenne

Posted: 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
in time
Post #12

If you have at least one more person helping you, you can get this lift done in a single day, two tops. It only took me the extra Monday because I had no help and worked late that day as well, even then I only needed a few hours to wrap it up. Just pick a weekend and if you need any advice feel free to ask. For my D, the '03 model, there's a few things (particularly the 4wd shift lever and linkage extension) that I was able to completely circumvent. For the 2000, that'll be an extra issue for you, though it seems by Fabb's notes that you can get away without doing any welding.
33x12x16 Toyo Open Country M/T's on 16x8 black/machined Vision Warriors
Gen 2 wiper conversion, AVS vent visors, remote start

fabb_3

Posted: 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Post #13

Yes I do want to get 33's eventually but right now those tires have so much tread left of them I cant afford to get rid of them. I would need to sell them and then get the 33's.

On the 2000 you can get away without welding. Just use the stock adjustment to make up the difference in the lever.

At first the job seems a bit intemidating but after you get going it actually is pretty simple and straight forward.

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
Magnaflow Muffler
TRC-503 CB Radio

Chowder

Posted: 08-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Wheeler and Dealer
Post #14

I think I've been talked into it. I just told my housemate that I wanna do this and he said his dad actually has a lot of different tools and loves to work on cars, so we might head down to his parents' place in a couple weeks and try to tackle this in a Sunday. I'm sure his dad will want to get in on this, especially if I'm bringing the beer

EDIT

By the way, does anyone know about how much it costs to have the tire size adjusted in the computer? 32's only throw it off a little bit, but I think with 33's I'll actually want to have it set right. I never know exactly how fast I'm going when I see a cop...
115,000 and climbing....

Last edited by Chowder : 08-06-2009 at 12:15 AM.

fabb_3

Posted: 08-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Post #15

Well, the bigger the wheels are the SLOWER the spedo is going to say your going. So if your going 55 on your spedo your probably going like 52 or 53.

Also you should be able to get it done in a Sunday. Just start at like 10am. We would have gotten way further but my kit was missing all of the nuts used to install the new brackets....Make sure ALL parts are there before you start. It is really a pain when you get to a point where you cant go any further because you dont have the parts. Then you have to wait til monday for the parts house to open.

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
Magnaflow Muffler
TRC-503 CB Radio

Chowder

Posted: 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Wheeler and Dealer
Post #16

Right, that's why I'm always worried when I see a cop...I usually try to keep it a few under what the speedo says it is, but the faster you go, the larger the discrepancy between what the speedo says and your actual speed becomes. So at 35 I might actually be going 37, but at 75 I might actually be going 80. But I dunno if it's that much more not, what I do know is I got pulled over going 79 in a 65 but I had the cruise set to around 70. So I really have no idea how fast I'm going.
115,000 and climbing....

qtipextra

Posted: 08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
^BIG D^
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabb_3 View Post
Well, the bigger the wheels are the SLOWER the spedo is going to say your going. So if your going 55 on your spedo your probably going like 52 or 53.
Other way around. The bigger the tires, the faster you are going compared to your speedo. If your speedo says 50, you will be going around 55, depending on how much you are off.

Chowder, I would recommend you get a tuner of some sort. Not only can you adjust tire height, but you can get performance gains too, and when you are running bigger tires, believe me you will want to get every little bit of power you can to make up for the loss in acceleration. Also, a tuner allows you to adjust the size multiple times. I find I play with mine quite a bit because I never know exactly if its correct, so I adjust it up or a down a setting, then I can compare my speed to others and see if I am in the ballpark.

My Truck Domain

fabb_3

Posted: 08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Post #18

I am an idiot! ^^^^ I knew I was close....

2000 Durango 4.7 V8
Magnaflow Muffler
TRC-503 CB Radio

Chowder

Posted: 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Wheeler and Dealer
Post #19

So I got my lift in the mail today, and I started into it. I'd like to get it done by 11AM tomorrow so I don't have to ride my bike to work, but at today's pace...ugh

I'm trying to figure out how exactly to disconnect the transfer case lever. I got the center console and everything off, but I can't figure out from the diagram in the instructions WTF I need to remove. I'm looking up at the transfer case, found the linkage and got one bolt out...that's the only bolt I could see, and I still can't get the linkage apart. Any tips? If I can't get this done I'll have to stop before I make the rig immobile.
115,000 and climbing....

Chowder

Posted: 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Wheeler and Dealer
Post #20

So I found the nut (thanks to a poster on another forum :X ) and I can't get it loose. Shoulda let the shop do it!
115,000 and climbing....
Closed Thread