trucks trans keeps going into safe mode - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 AM
burton9010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
trucks trans keeps going into safe mode

I have a 1999 dodge ram 2500. First my truck was jumping from 3rd the 4th and then would be stuck in first gear (safe mode I guess) whenever I shut the truck off then started it back up. I fixed that with the cheap trick of wraping the wire off the alternator in tin foil then wraping it with electric tape. The truck doesnt jump from 3rd to 4th anymore but almost every time now it will go to safe mode anytime I start the truck up and start driving. I have to pull off the road disconnect the battery for a min or so then hook it back up it is getting really anoyying to keep doing this. What do I need to change out or fix to stop this from happening. Now that I have taken the battery termenals off and on so much they are pretty much shot. Can just the terminals be replaced or are they special ones because they have that alternator wire in with the terminal. Could a dodge dealer or someone change them out or would they order the whole new wire harness. Could these worn out terminals be my problem in the first place with it going into safe mode or is the a transmission computer that is most likely bad that I could change out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 AM
budnate

ahhhhhh your in for some fun now, just went through the whole deal, here is right up on troubleshooting it. first thing plug in and get the codes out of the puter.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...les-fixes.html

peace, B.

-98,12V,quad cab
#3 Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 AM
jks0313

Question

That just happened to my 2K Caravan (yes, I KNOW they are different) but it might not hurt you to check this out. Check out the vehicle speed sensors (on my Ram there were 2, one on the tranny and one on the rear diff; I'd change the one on the trans first). AAMCO transmissions wanted $800 to take the trans apart just to see what was wrong with it. A small trans shop in a town near me charged me $50 to change the speed sensor.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad-Cab 4x4 5.9L

Brand new Fog Lamps (!&#*~@! Deer!)
Cat-back Duals, BFG Long Trail T/A's P265-75R16
More mods to come as I can afford them!

2005 Dodge Neon SXT: My Econobox!

Other cars and trucks from different makers but ALL American!
#4 Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
burton9010

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jks0313 View Post
That just happened to my 2K Caravan (yes, I KNOW they are different) but it might not hurt you to check this out. Check out the vehicle speed sensors (on my Ram there were 2, one on the tranny and one on the rear diff; I'd change the one on the trans first). AAMCO transmissions wanted $800 to take the trans apart just to see what was wrong with it. A small trans shop in a town near me charged me $50 to change the speed sensor.

U was just about to ask this becuase a dodge tech was telling me to try changing the speed sensor.
#5 Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
budnate

that is why you pull the trouble codes first so you know what your trying to fix.

-98,12V,quad cab
#6 Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM
burton9010

(Thread Starter)
the shop wants $50 to hook there scanner up to pull the codes and the speed sensor is $40. I think I am going to try my luck.
#7 Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
budnate

any pep boys, schucks etc... have the scanner, you use them for free at there store.trust me this can be a simple or big deal to sort out, guessing aint going to fix it.

-98,12V,quad cab
Closed Thread