How do I bleed power steering system? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

monkeywrench06

How do I bleed power steering system? - Posted: 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
City: Boston, MA
Post #1

How do I bleed the power steering system on a 1996 Grand Voyager. I just finished replacing a leaking power steering pump. After starting it up I now have no power steering at all Power steering fluid level in the reservoir is good. I turned the steering wheel full left-right-left a couple of times hoping that it would auto-bleed, but it didn't make any difference. Really hoping I didn't get a dud of a pump - that wasn't a fun job, and I really don't feel like doing it again.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RickMN

Posted: 07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Post #2

How about the "official" Chrysler power steering bleed procedure?

Bleed Air out of Chrysler Power Steering

monkeywrench06

Posted: 07-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the link. I tried this procedure several times today, but it made no difference. Must have gotten a bad pump. This sucks! I guess the only consolation is that it should go quicker the second time...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RickMN

Posted: 07-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Post #4

By the way, did you replace the nylon washers on the PS hoses with new ones? Were there O rings on the ends of the hoses? If you don't replace those, you can get a leak. Also, you have to be really careful not to overtighten them. These nylon/o ring combinations can leak if overtightened.

But if you do have to replace the pump. Any job worth doing once, is worth doing twice (3 times in some cases)

We've all been there. Bummer

monkeywrench06

Posted: 07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Post #5

The rebuilt pump came with a variety of o-rings. But pressure line didn't appear to have any o-ring on when I disconnected it, so I didn't use any of them. The other two lines to the pump were just held on with hose clamps. It's not leaking, but I'll double check for an o-ring when I do it again...

monkeywrench06

Posted: 07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Post #6

All good now after installing another pump. This job sucks! A lot quicker second time, but still 3+ hours.

I did follow the Chrysler bleeding procedure that RickMN posted this time before starting it up. I guess it's possible that not doing the bleed procedure before starting it up last time might have damaged the first pump - thankfully Autozone's lifetime warranty is pretty much no questions asked

Thanks again,

-Daire

javier

Posted: 08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
State: ON
Post #7

how i draining power steering fluid?????

teve62

Posted: 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
City: Montreal
State: QC
Post #8

whooooaaa! just finished changing mine too, pressure hoses included.Its a 1996 3.8 Plymouth GV (i know i know its all the same). Have the Chrysler shop manual and their procedure is fantasy, thanks i searched this forum too, you guys made my day, thanks all forumers.
Did what the text book said, undid the manufold to cat and pushed it aside left, undid the pump with all the hassle it means then tried to pull turn think but the pump had no room. soo, i pulled the right axle out and, aaaahhh! room. more details went in the job but i'll spare it. little extra, the pressure hoses were the highlight of stupidity to change, so far. No room and outr of reach, had to get the top of the air filter out and plunge thru engine compartment and use two keys for lever and undid them 1/16th of a turn at a time. patience and focus .... What was it about those brainy engeneers again ....
Closed Thread