How do I bleed power steering system? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
monkeywrench06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How do I bleed power steering system?

How do I bleed the power steering system on a 1996 Grand Voyager. I just finished replacing a leaking power steering pump. After starting it up I now have no power steering at all Power steering fluid level in the reservoir is good. I turned the steering wheel full left-right-left a couple of times hoping that it would auto-bleed, but it didn't make any difference. Really hoping I didn't get a dud of a pump - that wasn't a fun job, and I really don't feel like doing it again.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM
RickMN

How about the "official" Chrysler power steering bleed procedure?

Bleed Air out of Chrysler Power Steering

I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. My blog now has over 1000 in-depth repair articles, TSB's, and wiring diagrams: Rick's Blog
#3 Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 PM
monkeywrench06

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the link. I tried this procedure several times today, but it made no difference. Must have gotten a bad pump. This sucks! I guess the only consolation is that it should go quicker the second time...
#4 Old 07-11-2009, 10:50 PM
RickMN

By the way, did you replace the nylon washers on the PS hoses with new ones? Were there O rings on the ends of the hoses? If you don't replace those, you can get a leak. Also, you have to be really careful not to overtighten them. These nylon/o ring combinations can leak if overtightened.

But if you do have to replace the pump. Any job worth doing once, is worth doing twice (3 times in some cases)

We've all been there. Bummer

I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. My blog now has over 1000 in-depth repair articles, TSB's, and wiring diagrams: Rick's Blog
#5 Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
monkeywrench06

(Thread Starter)
The rebuilt pump came with a variety of o-rings. But pressure line didn't appear to have any o-ring on when I disconnected it, so I didn't use any of them. The other two lines to the pump were just held on with hose clamps. It's not leaking, but I'll double check for an o-ring when I do it again...
#6 Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM
monkeywrench06

(Thread Starter)
All good now after installing another pump. This job sucks! A lot quicker second time, but still 3+ hours.

I did follow the Chrysler bleeding procedure that RickMN posted this time before starting it up. I guess it's possible that not doing the bleed procedure before starting it up last time might have damaged the first pump - thankfully Autozone's lifetime warranty is pretty much no questions asked

Thanks again,

-Daire
#7 Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
javier

how i draining power steering fluid?????
#8 Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
teve62

whooooaaa! just finished changing mine too, pressure hoses included.Its a 1996 3.8 Plymouth GV (i know i know its all the same). Have the Chrysler shop manual and their procedure is fantasy, thanks i searched this forum too, you guys made my day, thanks all forumers.
Did what the text book said, undid the manufold to cat and pushed it aside left, undid the pump with all the hassle it means then tried to pull turn think but the pump had no room. soo, i pulled the right axle out and, aaaahhh! room. more details went in the job but i'll spare it. little extra, the pressure hoses were the highlight of stupidity to change, so far. No room and outr of reach, had to get the top of the air filter out and plunge thru engine compartment and use two keys for lever and undid them 1/16th of a turn at a time. patience and focus .... What was it about those brainy engeneers again ....

open air DIY
Plymouth GV 1996 3.8L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.