Loosing Coolant from top radiator hose - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Talamantez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Loosing Coolant from top radiator hose

ok i have a 2004 2.7 car has been great to me till a week ago. i was going through a drive through and the car started to heat up, it got so hot the ac started to blow hot air instead of cold. i checked under the hood and noticed i was really low on coolant. i also noticed all this gunk on my motor. i started to think maybe im loosing coolant from there. it looks like a hose from my radiator into the motor. is that where the thermostat is at? could a new thermostat stop the leak? here are some pics anyone have any advice please post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Daytrepper
2.7 Trauma Surgeon

That is just a water outlet. Its pretty common for them to leak, you'll need a new one to fix it. They are available at the dodge dealer.

Dan C.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/32Intrepid/trep022-1-1.jpg
1998 Dodge Intrepid
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD
SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK
#3 Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Talamantez

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
That is just a water outlet. Its pretty common for them to leak, you'll need a new one to fix it. They are available at the dodge dealer.
is that the name of the part? also it is hard to change?
#4 Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Daytrepper
2.7 Trauma Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talamantez View Post
is that the name of the part? also it is hard to change?
Its the water outlet. About an hour to change it. The intake plenum has to be loosened up and raised about an inch to get to the back bolt, and you have to remove the radiator support shroud. Connected to that water outlet is a long metal pipe that runs under the intake and out the back of the throttle body. You disconnect the heater hose below the throttle body, raise the plenum, remove the upper radiator hose, unbolt the water outlet, and then slowly pull it out with the pipe that runs under the intake attached.

Dan C.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/32Intrepid/trep022-1-1.jpg
1998 Dodge Intrepid
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD
SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK
#5 Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
popeye304

I Feel that I was Ripped Off

I just had this Coolant Outlet Connector (service manual's name) replaced, local mechanic charged me $187.00. The invoice called the part a Coolant Tube Kit.

My daughter's 2004 Intrepid SE 2.7L engine check light came on, so I had her stop by the local parts store to have the car's diagnostic codes read. They told her that the thermostat probably needed replacing.

I didn't expect the thermostat to be where it was so I crawled under the car, yes I had to jack it up, and saw a bunch of red Permatex all over the thermostat housing. Ok, I bought a new thermostat and gasket and I was going to replace it yesterday.

The service manual says I have to remove the engine mount, bolt for the alternator, and the dipstick tube. After staring at the housing for 45 minutes, and not being able to determine how to remove the dipstick tube, I decided I'll let my local mechanic take this on.

The Outlet Coolant Connector was also leaking, I could see some staining. The thermostat housing was warped, that would explain the red permatex all over the place. The intake manifold would have to be removed (gasket replaced). Total bill, $641.00

1. I think I need to find another mechanic.

2. I don't care how long it takes me to do a job, I'm doing it myself for now on.

Sorry for the rant and the hijack of the thread.

Lou Karnbach

A biker who had visited Florida for vacation wrote, "The vegetation is sharp, unfriendly, and almost screams at you to stay away."

I responded, "Welcome to Florida, now go home."

Follow me on Twitter popeye304

Last edited by popeye304; 08-24-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.