"Gen" light on. What is this? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

disastras

"Gen" light on. What is this? - Posted: 06-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Post #1

I don't have a manual for my truck so I have no idea what this light is. It just says "Gen" and it is right by the check engine light. I removed my battery today to install some new headlight bulbs, and now my truck makes a clicking noise and won't start. It will go just fine if I jump start it, but wont start up again if I turn it off. I also just took out one of those cheap ass "chips" that they sell on ebay that promises to increase HP by 20. Anyway, now my truck wont work. Can anyone please help me?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

96BlackBeast

Posted: 06-14-2004, 06:27 PM
City: Fort Wayne
State: IN
Post #2

My guess is your alternator isn't working right or at all. It sounds like your battery isn't being charged. Hope this helps...

Mods:
New catalytic converter
Custom muffler (similar to 40 series Flowmaster)
Stainless 4" tip
3rd generation tailgate and door badges
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

disastras

Posted: 06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Post #3

Is there any way to check if it is the alternator?

Big Blue

Posted: 06-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered Loser
City: Chicago area
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Take the battery and/or alternator to a parts store and they should be able to test it for you for free (usually). Phone first, just to make sure.
Rancho RSX shocks & stabilizer
Badges.....I don't need no stinking badges!
305/70/16 Discoverer S/T, American Racing wheels
Black tubular steps, Hard tonneau cover, Billet Grille Inserts

RodgeDam

Posted: 06-14-2004, 11:13 PM
City: Port Orchard
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

"Gen" = generator. Also known as your alternator. As Big Blue said, most auto parts stores can check it for you, either on or off the truck.

disastras

Posted: 06-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Post #6

I figured that "Gen" = generator, but my Haynes book said nothing on it, my two friends that own Rams (98 & 99) didn't have a gen light, and so I was confused. Thank the almighty that it wasnt the alternator though. I called up Autozone and they said that they would check my battery and alternator. So, they checked the battery first and that was the problem. Sum Bitch just up and died on me. As I said though, much better than an alternator. Now, I have fresh juice to my truck. I hope this helps someone else down the road.
Closed Thread