So you have an evap code (p0455, p0442)... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

2k1sigmachiRam

So you have an evap code (p0455, p0442)... - Posted: 06-05-2009, 06:09 PM
City: Syracuse
Post #1

After a year of messing with my evap system, I finally fixed the problem and banished my pesky P0455 code to the 9th circle. I thought I would share my advice to help others that suffer from this problem. Below are the steps I suggest following to solve a P0455/P0442 code.

1. Visually inspect all the hoses running from the gas cap to the gas tank to the evap canisters and then to the engine bay. The evap canisters are on the frame rails and are either cylindrical or rectangular. They are on different sides of the truck depending on the model year. One hose runs from the gas tank to the rear (cylindrical) evap canister. The second hose runs between both evap canisters. The third hose runs from the front evap canister (rectangular) to the engine bay along the frame rail. If a visual inspection reveals no cuts, cracks, or disconnects, move to step two.

2. Replace the gas cap. Disconnect the negative battery terminal (or clear the code if you have a reader/scanner) to reset the computer. Drive a few dozen miles (city and highway) to see if the light goes away. If it does, congratulations! If not, go to step three.

3. Replace the purge solenoid (about $35 at AutoZone). It is located on the passenger side of the engine bay near the headlight. You will see several lines running to it from the frame. It attaches to a small bracket on the body. If this doesn't work, bust out the big guns on step four.

4. Replace the evap canisters. I got mine for around $190 from Rock Auto. Replacing them is easy. They are mounted on a bracket secured to the frame with four bolts (2 on the left, 1 on top, and 1 on the right of the canisters). I used a 1/2 inch ratchet with 3 inch extension to reach the top bolt (which can be a PITA). Leave the canisters mounted to the bracket until you remove the entire bracket. NOTE: Label and disconnect all the hoses going into and out of the canisters before removing them!

5. If these steps don't work, you will probably have to have a shop smoke test your truck. Other evap problems include the fuel tank pressure sensor and the "roll over" sensors on top of the fuel tank.

I hope this helps. My total for a gas cap, purge solenoid, and two canisters was about $260 (labor was free because I did all the work).

Good Luck!
Exterior Mods: Delta Diamond plate toolbox, 265/75 Firestone Destination A/T, 16x8 American Racing Outlaw IIs, Bilstein HD shocks, debadged, Sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs, front air dam delete, Line-X (OTR, rocker panels and wheel arches).

Performance Mods: Magnaflow 12449 stainless muffler and tailpipe, Edelbrock Pro-Flo 14x3 with AEM DryFlow, Autolite 3923s, SCT Tune, NAPA Ultra Premium pads and rotors.

Interior Mods: Sony digital media receiver, Infinity Kappa 6.5" components, MA 5.25" coaxials, MA 12" sub, semi-custom center console sub box, 800x4 Power Acoustic amp, Husky mats, white face gauges, 20% tint, Dynamat on rear bulkhead, LED Maglite and mount.

5.9 Gassers Club Member #11
DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #38
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RamThis

Posted: 06-05-2009, 11:36 PM
City: N. Richland Hills, Tx
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

If you live in a county that does emissions testing, they test your gas cap for pressure holding yearly. So if you have a gas cap that is bleeding off so much pressure it's causing a CEL, it should be caught within a year's time during an inspection. If you live in a safety only county and no emissions, perhaps you drive through a county that does do emissions. If so, Im sure if you stopped in they wouldnt mind popping your gas cap onto the tester and hitting the button to see if it's holding pressure or not real quick.

I know gas caps are cheap but just wanted to mention another idea in case someone passes by one of these inspection locations and also happens to have this code and has yet to replace the gas cap. Shot in the dark I guess lol.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Auburn LSD, Edelbrock headers, 2.5" true duals with crossover, MSD Superconductors, APS Plenum Kit, Level10 Trans kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 2-4 BellTech Drop, SS/T rims, Toyo Proxes ST 285-60-17's, Sir Michaels Roll Pan and tailgate handle relocator, Keystone bumper cover with light openings, PIAA fogs, painted grille shell, painted Street Scene Speed Grille Inserts, SCT XCAL-2, Alpine head unit, Infinity Components front, Infinity Coaxials back, Infinity 500W 4 channel amp, Infinity Basslink, new dash, steering wheel, and guage bezel.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Detroit Locker, Race Truck Trends Nascar Bumper, Painted SS/T Stripes, Alpine HU, Alpine Sound Field Processor, MTX Thunderform. 5.9L bored .030 over, Sealed Power coated pistons, balanced and polished crank, Comp 210 Cam, MP Timing Chain tensioner, Melling HV oil pump, 1.92 oversized valves and mild porting, Pacesetter Longtube Headers, FMS 24lb Injectors, Level10 Transmission kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 5 gear OD Planetary. Way more to come.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

2k1sigmachiRam

Posted: 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Karma paid me a visit after this thread. I tripped my P0455 code again. Looks like I'll be adding some more steps to the process...
Exterior Mods: Delta Diamond plate toolbox, 265/75 Firestone Destination A/T, 16x8 American Racing Outlaw IIs, Bilstein HD shocks, debadged, Sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs, front air dam delete, Line-X (OTR, rocker panels and wheel arches).

Performance Mods: Magnaflow 12449 stainless muffler and tailpipe, Edelbrock Pro-Flo 14x3 with AEM DryFlow, Autolite 3923s, SCT Tune, NAPA Ultra Premium pads and rotors.

Interior Mods: Sony digital media receiver, Infinity Kappa 6.5" components, MA 5.25" coaxials, MA 12" sub, semi-custom center console sub box, 800x4 Power Acoustic amp, Husky mats, white face gauges, 20% tint, Dynamat on rear bulkhead, LED Maglite and mount.

cmns2500

Posted: 06-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Senór Member
City: Houston-ish
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

kinda OT, but, here's a list of all error codes for our trucks...

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...cle-pdf-39.pdf

no evap for me, i'm a diesel...

02 Taco

Ricker97ram

Posted: 06-07-2009, 09:34 PM
City: Western NY
State: NY
Post #5

My evap canister is mounted on the drivers side frame with wire!!! lol !!

RamThis

Posted: 06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
City: N. Richland Hills, Tx
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Switch that wire over to zip-ties, they dont rust out and let stuff fall off on the highway LOL.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Auburn LSD, Edelbrock headers, 2.5" true duals with crossover, MSD Superconductors, APS Plenum Kit, Level10 Trans kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 2-4 BellTech Drop, SS/T rims, Toyo Proxes ST 285-60-17's, Sir Michaels Roll Pan and tailgate handle relocator, Keystone bumper cover with light openings, PIAA fogs, painted grille shell, painted Street Scene Speed Grille Inserts, SCT XCAL-2, Alpine head unit, Infinity Components front, Infinity Coaxials back, Infinity 500W 4 channel amp, Infinity Basslink, new dash, steering wheel, and guage bezel.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Detroit Locker, Race Truck Trends Nascar Bumper, Painted SS/T Stripes, Alpine HU, Alpine Sound Field Processor, MTX Thunderform. 5.9L bored .030 over, Sealed Power coated pistons, balanced and polished crank, Comp 210 Cam, MP Timing Chain tensioner, Melling HV oil pump, 1.92 oversized valves and mild porting, Pacesetter Longtube Headers, FMS 24lb Injectors, Level10 Transmission kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 5 gear OD Planetary. Way more to come.

2k1sigmachiRam

Posted: 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Post #7

I finally fixed the evap code. Turns out Firestone is worthless and failed to find the cracked hose near my evap canister after they did a smoke test. Their failure to find a leak caused me to go down the "replace lots of parts" route which ended up costing me over $300 to fix the leak. The hose cost $2.50 to replace but I had to pay another independent repair shop $40 to run the smoke test again.

The shop told me that without a lift it would have been almost impossible to visually discover the leak because it was so far under the truck. From the outside (under a lamp) the hose looks fine but has two very tiny cracks in the elbow of the hose.

So I guess step one is to replace the gas cap and step two is to get a smoke test done by a competent shop.

ozplanet

Posted: 08-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Just Call Me Oz
State: ON
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #8

Or just take the time and replace all the vacuum tubes. They end up leaking after 10+ years of abuse

Mods: M1 / Comp Cams / 4.10 / 20" 3rd Gen Rims / 4/6 Drop / Flow Master 40's / All New Skins /

2010 Sport Crew Cab Black 4x4 5.7 3.92 Sport hood 10 Speaker Alpine w/nav

Mods: Diablo 91 Canned Tune / Billet Tech Oil Catch Can / Vararam Intake / Magnaflow Muffler / All Interior|Exterior Bulbs LED White / Recon Smoked 3rd Brake Light / Recon LED Light Bar / Orange Striping / Lockpick / Debaged|Murdered / 2 12" Foxbox / 2 Alpine SWR-12D4 Subs / NVX JAD1200.1 1200w amp / Flat Black VIP Wheels VP2 / Black & Orange Leather / Orange Interior Accents with Gloss Black /

Soon: Race Rotors / EBC Yellow Stuff /

www.MyDodgeRam.ca

mgrady

Eval Leak - Posted: 08-08-2009, 11:03 AM
State: CT
Post #9

I had these codes too. I replaced the gas cap but no change. I took the evap canisters down to look at the rubber tubing and found the 90* elbow that connects the line going the length of the truck to the purge solinoid to be cracked. You can't buy this the elbow piece so I used some heater hose to fix it and no codes yet. Been about 3 weeks.

Mark
2001 1500 Ram QC, 5.2L, auto, 4X4, 4:10 Westin Platimun nerf bars
CAI- Home made with S&B Filter
Fastman TB
Transgo shift kit / APS extras
Mopar Performance 7.5 wires
Autolite 3923's
Napa brass cap/rotor

onthaflooron24

Posted: 08-09-2009, 01:08 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

the purge solenoid is the wierd lookin lil peice on the pass fender wires goin to it along with one or two small hoses goin to it rite??if it is.do you by any chance have a autozone part number? my truck had one,but it disapeared after my wreck many years ago...lol

D981500

Posted: 08-09-2009, 01:59 AM
D981500
City: Lake Ozark
State: MO
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Should it be pulling a code if the bottom is missing off of the rectangular can. Mine has been missing for I don't know how long now but it hasn't given any codes from it yet.

2k1sigmachiRam

Posted: 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Post #12

I don't have an AutoZone part number for the purge solenoid but they should have it on the website.

bigmacdak

Posted: 08-09-2009, 09:41 PM
MYTYT
City: S.E. Oklahoma
Post #13

If you live in God's country like me, emissions & smog laws are very lax. Actually,they dont exist. I spen over $400 bucks to fix the evap on my Dak. The hoses will rot off before I mess with them on the Ram.....

Signature banner by BMRbrnSNRbrd

~~BIGMAC~~
2001 Ram 1500 4x4 - 5.9 - Modded & welded keg - 52mm fastman - Flowmaster70 no cat- 4" lift - DT Profab trac bar - TGC short arms - Rancho ruff riders - 35" Mud Grapplers - 4:56's - 200amp MG alt. - KMt. front & rear bumpers - 12K winch - 14 additional auxiliary lights strategically placed - & a BUNCH of other worthless crap.
Closed Thread