1998 Radiator Fan Relay OUT again. Dealer says " your on your own" - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

white1998

1998 Radiator Fan Relay OUT again. Dealer says " your on your own" - Posted: 05-20-2009, 04:30 PM
State: TX
Post #1

About 7 week ago, I replace the Radiator Fan Relay ($52 @ AutoZone). Then it went out again last week (same code). I bought another fan relay, and it worked great for about 4 days.

I have search all over the internet about this problem, and I have read a mix review of this issue. I called the local Dodge dealership, they say "No recalls on your vin, but it's a know problem". However, I found a website were a mechanic showed certain letters in specific locations, and I found those letters in my 1998.

I really need to get to the root cause of this issue before buying any other parts. I read where the PCM had to be flashed with a certain code. One fault that my have ruined the previous relay may have been due to my negligence. When I installed the relays, I used a zip-tie to fasten it to the frame, and may not have had a good ground, which I don't fully understand since one of the wires going into the relay is a ground. I had no instructions or other parts with the previous relays.

What I would like to learn here-
1) is there an actual recall, and should the dealer fix it for free.
2) Does the PCM have to be flashed in certain year models?
3) Did I ruin the previous relay from improper grounding?
4) What is the going rate for a dealer to flash the PCM and install a new relay.

I can't afford to buy another relay, without knowing why it keeps going out.

I spun the fan motors and they seem to be fine (not hard to spin), yet maybe there is more to it than that too. I have an ohm meter if someone could point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

vabear

Fan Relay - Posted: 05-21-2009, 06:36 AM
City: Poquoson, VA
State: VA
Post #2

Try running a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the electrical lead on the fan motor and see if the fan/s run.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Rick99

Posted: 05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
City: NH
State: NH
Post #3

I don't see why a PCM flash would have anything to do with a fan relay burning out so quickly. I'd look out for too much current draw from the fan-- it may not be obvious the fan's going bad, but if it draws too much current it could fry relays. You'd need an ammeter with high enough rating to test though.
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

white1998

Posted: 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabear View Post
Try running a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the electrical lead on the fan motor and see if the fan/s run.
I think I fail to mention something.
I have two brand new relays -
1) One of the relays is stuck with the fans running when the ignition is off.

2) The newer of the two must still be working "part time", I think, because Iv'e only gotton the trouble code. But it's only been driven 2 miles since the code came on. Anyhow, the fans are of when the ignition is off. When she brought it home the fans were running.

So, the fans do work, and I have spun them by hand. There is very slight resistance, could this be a sign off a faulty fan?

Rick99

Posted: 05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Post #5

I had this problem with a blower motor (inside the van) that was burning through speed controllers. When I hooked power directly to it it ran just fine, but when I checked, it was drawing about 25 amps-- it should have been at about 10. I pulled it out, and there was some slight resistance to turn it, but it did turn pretty easily. The radiator fan should spin very easily, but even that doesn't rule out an internal partial short in one of the windings-- something that draws less than the fuse rating, but more than the relays are designed for.

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

white1998

Posted: 05-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick99 View Post
I had this problem with a blower motor (inside the van) that was burning through speed controllers. When I hooked power directly to it it ran just fine, but when I checked, it was drawing about 25 amps-- it should have been at about 10. I pulled it out, and there was some slight resistance to turn it, but it did turn pretty easily. The radiator fan should spin very easily, but even that doesn't rule out an internal partial short in one of the windings-- something that draws less than the fuse rating, but more than the relays are designed for.
Hmm, good point.

I checked the pricing on new fans, $105 each at autozone. How can I test the amps? I bought another relay today, but Im waiting to find the"fix" before I burn it up.

Rick99

Posted: 05-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Post #7

I didn't realize-- there is a recall for this problem-- Customer Satisfaction Notification #771, though I don't know if Chrysler will honor it anymore. Anyway, I just looked it up-- the recall involved a software update to the computer and a new relay (presumably with a different design. Check to see if you have a label under the hood that refers to an "Authorized Software Update"-- this label would have been installed if the update was done.

Also, the instructions to the dealer for the recall make special note that it is important to secure the new relay firmly with the screws to ensure proper heat transfer (so the relay won't get too hot.)

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

white1998

Posted: 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Post #8

I could not find a label under the hood.

I pointed out the notice #771 to the dealer, but they said it was NOT a recall, "just a known issue with 1998. They would honor it, if it were still under warranty ". I called another dealer and spoke to their mechanic, and he said he's never heard of this issue and thinks it’s the fan motors or a short in the wiring.

I found an auto parts store on eBay that sells the ENTIRE fan assembly (both motors, fans, and shroud for $85 and free shipping. I'm going to swap out my assembly and install the new relay. Now, I can’t program a pcm, but I wonder if I need too? We bought this minivan 2001 with 40,000 miles 1 owner, and now have 169,000, and No issues until now. SO, we've put 120,000 on it the way it was. I wouldn’t mind having the PCM flashed with this code, but the dealer mechanic told me "I never heard of that". So, how do you go about getting this done if the mechanic doesn’t know How? lol

Rick99

Posted: 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Post #9

Unfortunately we can't expect people to take time to look anything up these days. PM me your email and I'll send the complete notice to you. It's not a "recall" force by the government, but it is a "customer service campaign" which is supposed to be done at no cost to you, but you may have to take it up with Chrysler customer service directly if the dealer won't help-- no idea if you'll get anywhere with that.

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

sepumanpr

Posted: 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
State: FL
Post #10

Hi, my radiator fans have giving trouble for last 10 months, changed the relay twice at different mechanics offices but they overlooked the connector. When i inspected it was seriously burned. I bought the pig tail at the local mopar dealer in PR and fan are happily working, no more overheating.
Thanks to other members valuable comments..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARAVAN-FAN-CIRCUIT-RELAY-CONNECTOR.jpg (311.3 KB, 27 views)

dovecs

Fan relay problem - Posted: 10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
City: Las Vegas
State: NV
Post #11

Hi all,

Had a similar problem with my 99, it turned out to be the connector that plugged into the relay, the white wire pin was burnt, causing an intermittent connection, it would work OK if you wiggled the harness. So, I modified my relay by trimming the connector housing, and soldering a heavy gauge wire onto the pin of the relay that connected to the white wire (seems like it was one of the end pins). I then cut the white wire coming from the harness, and soldered a wire to it. I then plugged the connector back into relay, then connected the 2 wires together. Has worked well ever since. If I recall, the white wire was the 12 volt line.

mrbizness1

Posted: 10-02-2009, 09:08 PM
City: Mt. SInai
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick99 View Post
I didn't realize-- there is a recall for this problem-- Customer Satisfaction Notification #771, though I don't know if Chrysler will honor it anymore. Anyway, I just looked it up-- the recall involved a software update to the computer and a new relay (presumably with a different design. Check to see if you have a label under the hood that refers to an "Authorized Software Update"-- this label would have been installed if the update was done.

Also, the instructions to the dealer for the recall make special note that it is important to secure the new relay firmly with the screws to ensure proper heat transfer (so the relay won't get too hot.)

copy of my vans fan relay recall here.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r.../vanrecall.jpg

Ted928

Posted: 10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Post #13

When my relay failed on my 2002, the fan kept running until the battery was dead. I replaced it with an OEM part bought off-line for ~same price as a generic unit. No problem since (40k miles)

gas28man

Posted: 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
City: Smyrna, TN
State: TN
Post #14

I drove my first 96 T & C 356,000 miles and replaced the fan relay twice. The first time, it was because for whatever reason, the fan shroud cracked in about three places, and was sporadically causing resistance in the fans. The second time, I have no idea what caused it.

XDGT03

Posted: 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Post #15

I have to replace mine again after about 40k miles (165000 now). Local Oreilly's has a "Dorman" replacement with lifetime warranty that comes with a replacement harness to splice in as well. $33.

When I replaced mine originally, I made sure that there was good clean and solid contact with the frame and used dielectric grease on the contact surface and the harness so there should be no corrosion to have caused this failure. I do remember a scorch mark on the harness as shown in the pic in post #10 above but everything seems to work fine so I didn't worry about it at the time.
2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 2.0L
1968 Ford Mustang Convertable 289 Hypo

XDGT03

Posted: 04-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Post #16

UPDATE:

Sorry I did not take pictures.

When I spliced in the new connector, one of the wires (I believe it was the green one) was corroded up the wire about 5 inches. The copper wires inside were covered in green oxidation and were brittle. It may have actually been corroded further up the wire but that was about as far as I could go without taking more of the bulk of all the wires apart and tracing that wire back to where ever it goes. I just went back as far as I could go with the new harness wires. The wire was in better condition but not perfect. All the other wires were fine. I don't have a wiring diagram so I don't know what this wire carries.

So far so good. They come on as they should. The fans both spin freely. Actually, I should get a couple more years out of them than normal since they did not work for a long time. lol It never overheated until I used the A/C so I didn't use the A/C. Which was a bummer because I spent all that time replacing the evaporator. (I wrote a detailed thread about this a few years ago). Now I can enjoy all the benefits of my 12 year old, 168k mile van. Oh, except for the just failed p/s window regulator. Damnit....
2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 2.0L
1968 Ford Mustang Convertable 289 Hypo

TomQuick

Posted: 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Post #17

Good work, and sorry about the just failed window regulator, it just never ends!
Closed Thread