How-To: Install Transmission Temp Gauge - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > DodgeTalk Knowledge Base: Dodge/Ram Truck Articles > Dodge/Ram Truck Specific Articles > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 Up) Articles > 3G Dodge RAM - General Miscellaneous Articles

Closed Thread

SilverBullet08

How-To: Install Transmission Temp Gauge - Posted: 05-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Silvered Out
City: Arlington
State: TX
Post #1

Alright well here is a step by step (of what I did) to install my Transmission Temperature Gauge.
First, you need to pick up a transmission temp gauge. I went with the autometer 4949. It matched the factory cluster and has a backlit led light that will light up at night. I picked it up at summit racing for 80 shipped (yes hammer we know you got one for 20 lol ) Along with the gauge you will need some adapter pieces. The first one being Autometer 3280 and Autometer 2259. You can get these for around 20-30 shipped. Then you will need the srt-10 single gauge A-pillar. I got mine on cl but they are sold online. Once you got these parts you are ready to install your gauge.

**Before you install your gauge make sure your tranny is cool. I let mine sit all night before i installed it.**

1. Get a jack and lift your truck up. Makes it a whole lot easier to to get to the transmission.

2. Have your adapter pieces already so its easier to install in the transmission.

3. The best place to install the sender is the test port #3 on the transmission. To get the piece out of the test port, gently spray wd-40 to loosen it up. Then unscrew it.

4. Screw the new sending unit in test port #3. Make sure it tight but not too tight. Then spray a teflon sealant to seal it properly.

5. The next few pics show how I ran the sending unit wire from the A-pillar, through the firewall and to the sending unit on the transmission. I tried to keep the wire close to other ones so it would be a less chance of something happening to it. Then when it was wired up I zip-tied them nice and tight.

Now you are done with the wiring for the sender.

6. You need your ground wire near the sender. So I ran another wire (the same way I did before) and used a the metal part of my tranny as the ground.

7. Next you need the 12v power source. I used an inline fuse with 1 amp (recommend for my gauge) with a 10gauge wire and connected it to my battery. I ran all the wires through the same whole in the firewall and then up to the A-pillar.

8. Now its on to the other wiring part. The lighting of the gauge. Pop out your left air vent (where your light switches are) and look for the orange wire. I used a wire connector and connected that wire with the wire for my gauge. Now your gauge will light up when you turn your parking or headlights on.

9. Now you need to ground the gauge, which is very simple. Pop out the piece thats on the side of your dash. Loosen the screw thats there and connect the wire there for a good solid ground.

10. Make sure all the wiring is correct. The pic shows all the wires except the 12v power source one.

11. Put the pillar back in and your set to rock out with your new transmission temperature gauge. I enjoyed this project even though I have never done something like this before. Thanks for all the help from the other members. If you have any question feel free to pm.

Hemi: Suckin Gas and Haulin A$$

MODS: Srt Hood, FRI Sidewinder Cam, Pacesetter LT, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, K&N 57 CAI, DSP 93 Tune, 180* Tstat, Raceland E-Cutout, FM 50HD, MB Bruzer Wheels w/Cooper Zeon LTZ, Slammed1 Drop Shackles, Aerforce Interceptor w/Srt Pillar, 6k HIDS Heads/Fogs, Hella 500s, Pioneer DD, Alpine Doors, 12'' JL Audio W3 w/ Fox Box, Westin Steps, Painted Grill, Mirrors, Handles, Calipers, Cowl, Antenna Base, Silver Truck Club #198
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

DeMoN-HeMi

Posted: 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
City: Houston
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

1 question, my trans temp gauge came with a a full sensor thats supposed to screw into the trans, what size is the test port on the trans, i think my sensor is 1/4"

2003 1500 HEMI QC -Slammed and Sprayed,
2014 Ram 1500 Black on Black Edition HEMI! - The hauler
2013 Charger - The Toy
1995 Camaro - The Project

"Dont Spread my Wealth, Spread my Work Ethic!"

"Debt is normal, be WEIRD" - Dave Ramsey

~> HOW TO - TINTING TAILS <~

~>IMPORTANT LED Replacement Bulb Info For 02-06 rams<~

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

SilverBullet08

Posted: 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Silvered Out
City: Arlington
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoN-HeMi View Post
1 question, my trans temp gauge came with a a full sensor thats supposed to screw into the trans, what size is the test port on the trans, i think my sensor is 1/4"
So did mine but its too big for the sensor on the trans. you need the autometer adapter pieces i mentioned above. the test port size is 1/16.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto%20Meter/1...0002/-1?CT=999

Hemi: Suckin Gas and Haulin A$$

MODS: Srt Hood, FRI Sidewinder Cam, Pacesetter LT, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, K&N 57 CAI, DSP 93 Tune, 180* Tstat, Raceland E-Cutout, FM 50HD, MB Bruzer Wheels w/Cooper Zeon LTZ, Slammed1 Drop Shackles, Aerforce Interceptor w/Srt Pillar, 6k HIDS Heads/Fogs, Hella 500s, Pioneer DD, Alpine Doors, 12'' JL Audio W3 w/ Fox Box, Westin Steps, Painted Grill, Mirrors, Handles, Calipers, Cowl, Antenna Base, Silver Truck Club #198

DeMoN-HeMi

Posted: 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
City: Houston
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet08 View Post
So did mine but its too big for the sensor on the trans. you need the autometer adapter pieces i mentioned above. the test port size is 1/16.
correction, my temp sensor is 1/8" so ill only need the reducer, thanks for the links bro

2003 1500 HEMI QC -Slammed and Sprayed,
2014 Ram 1500 Black on Black Edition HEMI! - The hauler
2013 Charger - The Toy
1995 Camaro - The Project

"Dont Spread my Wealth, Spread my Work Ethic!"

"Debt is normal, be WEIRD" - Dave Ramsey

~> HOW TO - TINTING TAILS <~

~>IMPORTANT LED Replacement Bulb Info For 02-06 rams<~

Closed Thread