recycled inner fenders - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

Megunticook

recycled inner fenders - Posted: 04-28-2009, 07:04 AM
State: ME
Post #1

This is really for Ron, as I wanted him to see the transformation on the fenders a shipped up to this Yankee all the way from Tejas (I know, I know, it's crazy but there are no old Dodges in the boneyards here in Maine anymore).

The metal was solid--a little surface rust here and there, some minor pitting on one small area of one--but these suckers were filthy (sorry, forgot to take a "before" shot). It was a veritable dustbowl here when I took the grinder with the wire brush to 'em...the red clay was flying.

One of 'em had all kinds of nasty black goo caked on--wire brush took care of that, but smelled like Bayonne, New Jersey for when the friction from the brush heated the crap up.

After a good hour of brushing, I scrubbed them clean with hot water and detergent, let everything dry real well, then primed with trusty Rustoleum (I know, you auto paint purists will cringe, but cripes, this IS a work truck).

Here's how they looked after the second topcoat of flat black:

I'll put a third topcoat of high-gloss on to finish them off (more durable than the flat and easier to keep clean). Probably dark hunter green to match the eventual body color, although I may do the street-facing portion in black.

Now to pick up some fenders--local distributor in Portland quoted me $100 each for the aftermarket ones, $30 below normal price. Not sure I'm going to do better (you were lucky to get those in Spokane for $50, 'herder).

Can't wait to make this old gal pretty again. Her body's just heinous right now from rust, abuse, and neglect.

1973 W100 shortbed, 318, 4-speed standard
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

DiverDwnPowrRam

Posted: 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
City: Jacksonville
State: FL
Post #2

looks good.
360 4BL 4" lift
2000 Durango SLT+ 4X4
4.7 auto stock
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Closed Thread