Engine code PO 456 ? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Cain

Engine code PO 456 ? - Posted: 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
City: Kingston
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

Hey All,
A while back the engine light came on in my wifes 03 Ram, she took it to advanced auto, they hooked up their little diagnostic computer and it gave this code PO 456. They told her it was a gas cap issue, it might not be on all the way, sooo, she tightened the cap up and the light went out....woo hoo
HOWEVER, now its back on !! So this time I took it over to Advanced Auto and it spit back the same code. So I took off my gas cap from my 03 Ram and switched it out with hers, my thinking for this was, since im not haveing issues with my gas cap and were the same make, modle, and year no harm no foul. Well, the pretty little check engine light IS STILL ON
So, heres my question. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was your remedy to fix?
Also, was I mis-informed at Advanced Auto? Is the PO 456 code something other than a gas cap issue?
Any and ALL help is appreciated.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SchroederMP

Posted: 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
living life
City: Columbus
State: IN
Post #2

My threw the same code. I'm not a mechanic by all mean but it had to do something with a purge sylidoid for emissions and a couple other things. They should have printed you out a ticket with all of the things the code could have ment. Then take that ticket to the dealer and they will run a better diagnostic on it.

2005 CTD 4x4-5" Turbo back exhaust, Icebox CAI, Smarty, AirDog, built tranny, leveled, Linex Rockers

1993 Dodge Stealth 3.0L 5sp-Project/Gas Saver

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Palmentech766

Posted: 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
City: Racine
State: WI
Post #3

p0456 is a small evap leak, most commonly caused by a faulty gas cap. Other things can cause it are most likely a crack in an evap system rubber hose.

SchroederMP

Posted: 04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
living life
City: Columbus
State: IN
Post #4

What he said

2005 CTD 4x4-5" Turbo back exhaust, Icebox CAI, Smarty, AirDog, built tranny, leveled, Linex Rockers

1993 Dodge Stealth 3.0L 5sp-Project/Gas Saver

Cain

Posted: 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Post #5

If it is the rubber hose, is it an easy fix? And if so, where abouts is it located?

mississaugaram

Posted: 04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Are we going down?
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

I had the same code last week, P0456. I crawled under the truck and checked my evap. hoses and found one had a small crack. You can find them on the drivers side just under the doors, there is a black box with a couple of hose's there. The hose I needed was part # 5210279aa. It cost me 10 bucks to fix. I will try to post a diagram I got off this site. Bye the way the code has not reappeared. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf p0456_p0442.pdf (339.2 KB, 107 views)
3.92 gears,running boards,SRT-10 hood, rollup tonneau cover,cup holder light, carpeted fold flat floor,ebay CAI

Silver Truck Club Member # 134

Last edited by mississaugaram : 04-27-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Cain

Posted: 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Post #7

Great Diagram, very helpful. I will look at that this weekend to see if I can detect any cracks.
Thank you

Rev jd

Posted: 05-16-2009, 04:08 PM
City: Tehachapi
State: CA
Post #8

I have this same code and the same 2 hoses show little cracks right at the fittings. Do I have to use the factory replacement hoses, or can I get hose from my parts house and bend them (maybe a little wider bend) to fit? Is there anything that would cause the hoses to collapse, etc., or otherwise foul things up if I did this?
-Fastman TB
-Flowmaster Exhaust
-Superchip
-4.56 Yukons (installed soon!)
-20' ECO rims

rye

Posted: 05-16-2009, 04:31 PM
City: Ontario, Canada
State: ON
Post #9

If you can't find a leak, you can take it to a garage for a smoke test. Shouldn't be more than $40 for that. Just get them to tell you where the leak is and fix it yourself.

DODGETALK.COM MODERATOR
─────────────────────────────────────────────
5.9 2003 1500 4x4
─────────────────────────────────────────────

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

Rev jd

Posted: 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM
City: Tehachapi
State: CA
Post #10

Oh, I can see the cracks in the hoses, so I'm sure that's where the leak is. I went ahead and called my trusty dealership to buy the hoses. They have one in stock and ordered the other for me. I was just trying to be a cheap-o, as usual!
-Fastman TB
-Flowmaster Exhaust
-Superchip
-4.56 Yukons (installed soon!)
-20' ECO rims
Closed Thread