V10 Misfire - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge Ram Performance Talk

Closed Thread

Ringo

V10 Misfire - Posted: 04-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Post #1

My 1999 Ram 2500 V10 started misfiring the other day. When idling, if I goose the throttle, it will sound like a sharp backfire through the intake. I’m throwing codes PO302, P0307, and P0300 after a few drive cycles, indicating misfires, but only in cylinders 2 and 7…with the 300 code indicating a general misfire. My first action was to replace all the wires and plugs…no change. I’ve done a compression check on number 2 and an injector resistance test on the number 2 injectors just to rule out something mechanical on that one. Now, I’ve checked all the resistances on my 6-tower coil block (including the pins and the towers) which has 2 and 7 on it, and all are within specifications. Here’s a strange part…I can hear what sounds like a mechanical clicking that sounds like it’s coming from the plenum chambers. With a broomstick, I can hear it most prominently in the front of the intake manifold. I’m thinking that maybe this is intake backfire, but it’s like none other that I’ve ever heard….but I believe I’ve ruled out the mechanical issues. Question: can a bad coil block cause this kind of misfiring and this kind of mechanical type noise even if it has tested fine in the electrical department. I can’t see any obvious visible cracks. I hate to spend $140 on a new coil block on a hunch and I don't know where I can get my hands on a known good one. Thanks!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

'02ram360

Posted: 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
State: IL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

bad lifters maybe? how many miles?
3rd Gen 360 5.9 Club Member #4
Airaid CAI
Taylor 8.2 wires with MSD coil
Motive 4.10 gears with Detroit Tru Trac diff
Pacesetter Long Tube headers with Monza y pipe, cat delete
A-Pillar gauges: AEM Wideband, Autometer Trans temp and Voltage
KRC 214/224
Mopar Valve springs
Stage II Hughes intake
Fully built MSAINE TRANS 2800 stall
SCT TUNED BY HEMIFEVER

www.AIRRAM.com Discounted Performance Parts with FREE SHIPPING!

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Ringo

Posted: 04-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Post #3

Thanks 02Ram. It's got 127K miles. I suppose lifters is a possibility, but not likely in my opinion...that's not really the sound I'm hearing. Plus, the sound is intermittent and random. I just discovered that my #7 plug is carbon-fouled, which usually indicates a weak spark or bad compression...and the compression is good. Here's the kicker, the number 2 and number 7 cylinders come one after another in the firing order...and...they are on the same coil block, but not on opposing towers. Nor are they controlled by the same pin where the coil block plugs in. The number 2 plug looks good, but I'm wondering how/if a number 7 misfire could cause a misfire in the next cylinder that fires...#2? Does the ECM try to make an adjustment for the misfire which causes the next cylinder to misfire too? Crazy. I think I'm going to try the new coil...I can't waste a lot of time and I'm not getting a lot of help from anyone else. I guess there aren't as many techs around these forums as I thought. Anyway, thanks again...I'm open to any and all ideas.

hrusso

Posted: 04-26-2009, 03:20 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

If you had access to a KV tester you find out if the spark is high or low on these cylinders. Heres a free test you can do just to eliminate leaking KV. At NIGHT get a spray bottle squirt water on the ignition system (coil and wires) have somebody start it up. Do you see LIGHTNING? If yes replace whats leaking voltage.
Accel ignition kit
Mopar headers
Magna Flow 3 inch cat-back
Transgo shift kit
4.56 gears
Eaton E-Locker(front)
CP aluminum diff covers
35x12.50R17 on Moto Metal 6 Rims
Superlift 5inch with 4 link front(not radius arm)
Thuren front shock mounts
Fox 2.0 resevoir front, Fox Emulsion rear
Trailmaster steering stabilizer
D/T track bar
Kodiac sidewinder steps
Comp Cams roller #20-744-9
M-1 intake
Edelbrock Heads
Scorpion 1.7 rocker arms
24lb FMS injectors
Parts in box
Comp Cam
Edelbrock Intake

98QuadCabV10

Posted: 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
EPA's Worst Nightmare
City: Washougal, WA
State: WA
View This User's Timeslip
Post #5

There was a TSB a while back about those 2 plugs misfiring because the way the wires are routed. Try moving the 2 and 7 wires away from each other if they are next to each other and give that a shot. I lost the TSB address when Dodge Talk updated the PM folder.
SCT Tuner
3" SRB Lift
Fast Man TB
GM Push Rods
2" Leveling Kit
1.7 Roller Rockers
Exhaust: No cats, Flowmaster 50
Best Runs
60': 2.27
1/8th: 10.23 @ 68.56 MPH
1/4: 15.93 @ 85.7 MPH
0-60: 7.9sec

V10 Ram Club #1

Click For Info

'02ram360

Posted: 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
State: IL
Post #6

make sure the plugs arent cracked. same thing happened to me. made a tick noise as it arched across the electrode and onto the base of the plug. took about a month for me to figure it out. pull the plugs out and you will see carbon trails where the plugs are cracked, if they are
3rd Gen 360 5.9 Club Member #4
Airaid CAI
Taylor 8.2 wires with MSD coil
Motive 4.10 gears with Detroit Tru Trac diff
Pacesetter Long Tube headers with Monza y pipe, cat delete
A-Pillar gauges: AEM Wideband, Autometer Trans temp and Voltage
KRC 214/224
Mopar Valve springs
Stage II Hughes intake
Fully built MSAINE TRANS 2800 stall
SCT TUNED BY HEMIFEVER

www.AIRRAM.com Discounted Performance Parts with FREE SHIPPING!

Ringo

You'll never guess what it was... - Posted: 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Post #7

HRusso...checked the spark and it ended up being good...hmmm...not the coil.

98 Quad Cab...good call!!...but I had already rerouted the wires correctly...thanks!

After chasing possible electrical gremlins I narrowed it down to mechanical again. I didn't think it could be a sensor or the brain because only one cylinder was affected. I checked the spark...all good, so it wasn't the coil. The number 7 plug was carbon-fouled so I thought maybe a leaky fuel injector. I pulled the injectors and did the old crank-it-over test to watch the flow. Low and behold, when I cranked it over, I heard (and felt) compression coming up through the #7 intake port. Aha, says I...it must be a burnt valve or broken valve spring. I pulled the valve cover and what do I discover?? A broken rocker arm bolt! Holy crap. The push rod was just floating around and the rocker arm was hanging limply to one side. Good news!...I found the problem. Bad news!...have to be VERY careful extracting the broken bolt lest I have to pull the head and bring it to a machine shop to have it extracted.

The motor's very sludgy, so I was thinking about a rebuild, but don't know if I want to sink that kind of bank into this truck. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

98QuadCabV10

Posted: 04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
EPA's Worst Nightmare
City: Washougal, WA
State: WA
View This User's Timeslip
Post #8

I would just see if you can fix that rocker bolt. No point in doing a rebuild if the engine doesn't need it. As long as the oil and filter is changed every 3,000 miles and the engine gets up to the proper temp for an extended amount of time it will burn the sludge away.
SCT Tuner
3" SRB Lift
Fast Man TB
GM Push Rods
2" Leveling Kit
1.7 Roller Rockers
Exhaust: No cats, Flowmaster 50
Best Runs
60': 2.27
1/8th: 10.23 @ 68.56 MPH
1/4: 15.93 @ 85.7 MPH
0-60: 7.9sec

V10 Ram Club #1

Click For Info

hrusso

Posted: 05-01-2009, 07:33 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Heres what you do. Remove a good rocker arm bolt and measure the depth of the hole, usually you just use a zip tie. Now drill all the way through the broken bolt to the desired depth(they have stoppers for drill bits so you don't make a mistake) put WD-40 or liquid wrench in the hole. Get a easy out, the ones from sears are good enough and remove the bolt. It should not be that hard to remove if you follow my instructions. By the way a compression test would found this problem.
Accel ignition kit
Mopar headers
Magna Flow 3 inch cat-back
Transgo shift kit
4.56 gears
Eaton E-Locker(front)
CP aluminum diff covers
35x12.50R17 on Moto Metal 6 Rims
Superlift 5inch with 4 link front(not radius arm)
Thuren front shock mounts
Fox 2.0 resevoir front, Fox Emulsion rear
Trailmaster steering stabilizer
D/T track bar
Kodiac sidewinder steps
Comp Cams roller #20-744-9
M-1 intake
Edelbrock Heads
Scorpion 1.7 rocker arms
24lb FMS injectors
Parts in box
Comp Cam
Edelbrock Intake
Closed Thread