Dodge ram oil pressure gauge falls then check gauges light comes on - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
ksjosker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Dodge ram oil pressure gauge falls then check gauges light comes on

I have a 2004 dodge ram with a problem. While driving the oil pressure gauge drops suddenly and the check gauges light illuminates. If I pull over and turn the the truck off then back on, it's fine. Sometimes it will keep doing it, sometimes it wont. It is still under warranty so I took it back to where I purchased it and they replaced the oil pressure switch; still doing the same thing. I was having a few other issues with the truck that they couldn't figure out so they brought it to a dodge dealer for a diagnostic. He said he had them diagnose the oil pressure gauge also. My car dealer claims the dodge dealer said the problem is in the instrument cluster; but my dealers warranty does NOT cover the instrument cluster. So I found a company who repairs them and they said they doubt it is in the cluster. They think the repair shop purchased an aftermarket pressure switch and that could cause the problem.
When the oil pressure gauge falls, the truck runs the same. It does not run rough or anything...

Is it possible the aftermarket switch is junk?? Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by ksjosker; 04-06-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 PM
JDMorgan

go to a dodge dealer and get the factory one i think mine was around 20 bucks its in the uper front corner of the motor really easy to change already has sealent on it too just unplug it unscrew it and put the new one in. I cought my dodge dealer scaming me on that they said they replaced it under warenty when mine did the same but i put a blue dot of paint on it befor it went in the third time for them to tell me it was replaced and when i picked it up looked quick and there the sender was with the blue dot. I think they just dont do it bec they know its under warenty and they can keep billing dodge for alot of diagnostic time and they know its just a sender. As soon as i put my new one in it stopped doing havent had a problem since
#3 Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
moparman2k2

agreed try an OE sender

Mike

Current Rides:
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 ext. cab LS
2011 Chevrolet Malibu 1lt Allstar edition

Former Rams: 86 W150 RC/LB 4x4, 93 W150 RC/SB 4x4, 00 1500 QC 4x4 Sport, 02 1500 QC 4x4 Sport
#4 Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I don't see why you are trying to fix this yourself. Take it to Dodge, tell them its still not fixed.. and they should fix it.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

#5 Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
ksjosker

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06QuadRam View Post
I don't see why you are trying to fix this yourself. Take it to Dodge, tell them its still not fixed.. and they should fix it.
I purchased it through a private dealer, not the dodge dealership. It is still covered under warranty through my private dealer, but he tells me it's something in the instrument cluster, which is NOT covered under his warranty.
#6 Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM
ksjosker

(Thread Starter)
What should I do? Should I replace the switch from the dealership and see what that does? What if that's the problem, do I go back to where I purchased the truck and tell them I fixed the problem.? I don't have much balls here, I am not one to bitch about things, but damn it, I am getting quite frustrated.
#7 Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Wingviper
Wingviper

I put an after market oil pressure gauge and sending unit in my 04, I still have the facory
one in as well, I would try replacing the factory sending unit first as its cheap and easy to do, should only take 15 min. to change out.

The dealers are getting pretty bad on doing what they should, I expected they would as
they are not selling cars, I had a heck of a time getting them to service my wifes PT, had to bring it back 3 times to do something that sould only take 1 day.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.