How do I get out of limp mode? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

Gusaroo

How do I get out of limp mode? - Posted: 04-04-2009, 04:10 PM
City: Glastonbury CT
State: CT
Post #1

I suspect my 3.3 v6 2002 grand caravan is in "limp mode". How can I tell if it is? My wife stalled the vehicle and now it seems to only shift into reverse and low gear, the check engine light is on, but the only code showing doing the key on/off trick is P1684 (battery has been disconnected). Any ideas?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gusaroo

Posted: 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Post #2

OK, after an hour of searching and reading thru this forum, I believe my problem is the solenoid pack (its been leaking tranny fluid from there for some time now).

My Haynes POS manual has no instructions to do this, has anyone documented the process on this board? I have not found anything yet.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Rick99

Posted: 04-04-2009, 06:26 PM
City: NH
State: NH
Post #3

It's strange to have the solenoid pack go without any codes-- or to have the tranny in limp mode without any codes for that matter. Are you sure you're not getting a P0700?

Disconnecting the battery should reset the computer so it will start out in normal mode until it detects a fault that sends it back to limp-in.

As for the procedure, plenty of people have managed to remove it from the top with the tranny in place-- may have to remove the battery tray and some other things, just take a look at what it takes to get access. I did mine when I had the tranny out for other reasons-- see post #72 in the following link which will give you an idea for the actual removal and replacement of the pack:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...=150579&page=4
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

Gusaroo

Posted: 04-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Post #4

I agree, I dont think the van is in limp mode, I think the solenoid has failed... I found your post earlier today and printed out the part regarding the solenid. I also do not like to resolve issues by throwing parts at it, but since this thing has been leaking, I might as well replace it and hope for the best. Ill do the two speed sensors too, since they are cheap (under $20) Thx

Gusaroo

Posted: 04-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Post #5

Well I replaced the shift solenoid, input and output sensors last night (in the rain). Not too difficult of a job, my 1" socket was not deep enough to get one of the sensors out, but luckily a buddy delivered one to me. Van shifts perfectly now, maybe even a little tighter and no more leaks. All three parts cost me $327 from mopar dealer. I did break a vacuum line T when removing the battery tray, but thats an EZ fix. Thx for the info guys!

frookie

Posted: 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
State: WV
Post #6

i just replaced my pack is ez to do but a lil costly gl and dont forget to refill tranny lol
Closed Thread