MANY 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l hemi problems - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Coyotepride361
If Ur not first your last

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MANY 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l hemi problems

My 2003 Dodge ram 1500 5.7L(hemi) Quad Cab is still stalling after just spending 1600$ in the shop. They put 2 new fuel injectors, replaced the a/c, gave it a tune up, a transmission flush, and other small things. Im thinking fuel pump? Itll randomly stall so far its happened in park and drive. WHEN IT STALLS YOU HAVE NO IDEA IT HAPPENED OTHER THAN NOTICING THE DECELERATION(RADIO STAYS ON, A/C STAYS ON, LIGHTS STAY ON, DASH IS STILL LIT UP, THE TRUCK JUST DIES)When in drive itll stall randomly with no real set speed(itll happen whether going 70 or 30). The idiots at the shop cant figure it out....please help.To be more specific about whats happening ill take you through a situation thats happend to me...Im going 80 mph when i SLOWLY come down to about 30 and it stalls while rolling, i put it in neutral while rolling(its an automatic transmission), turn it on,and put it in drive and go. The car is ALWAYS able to start up right after stalling.

Ive got a list together of what could be doing this:
Bad or dirty Idle air control valve
Bad throttle position sensor
Dirty throttle body
Clogged or dirty PCV valve
Fuel Pump
Bad temperature sensor

Thats not the only problem.... when its in park the truck will randomly rev itself as if trying to stay alive. Last time it was just slowly revving itself from 700 to 1100 RPMS. It wasnt a rough rev just slowly back and forth,up and down through 700-1100. Sometimes the truck will start shaking when it goes below 500 and just die.PLEASE HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 PM
darell_n
Boost, you say!?

There is no IAC valve. Try giving the throttle body a good cleaning first. It is common for the throttle body or MAP sensor to go bad on these trucks. I need a new TB myself.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. (Pick 2)
#3 Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 PM
dearlysinned

ya i would try cleaning the TB if it was the fuel pump the truck wouldn't start at all after
#4 Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 AM
BobtheBuilder

what does it do during hard acceleration?

Bob
2005 QC Black w/scratches and a few more dents now
1500 4x4
3.92's
265/70-17 destination a/t
But I keep it clean
#5 Old 03-29-2009, 12:39 AM
KB112

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you flushed or changed the tranny lately. Sometimes if the filter isnt seated right the tranny throws a fit and can cause engine stalling etc.But a good cleaning of the TB and a PCV replacement might clear things out too.

KB

2004 5.7L Quad Cab
1/8: 9.113@70.814 --- 1/4: 14.365@95.470
Exterior: Blacked Out 06-20"s, 295/50-20 Falkens, 2/4 Drop - Hotchkis coils/DJM Flip, Sport Conversion, Mopar Air Dam, Good Hood, ARE Cover, Rollpan, Mopar fuel door, LED 3rd Brakelight, Black Headlights, HID Fogs, Powdercoated Black SS Grille, Homebrew Powdercoated bumper grill with smoked turn signals
Interior: Infinity pkg, Slammed1 Bezel, BedRug, SRT Pillar
Performance: Hotchkis F/R SwayBars, Bilsteins, MIT tube, AEM Wideband, Comp 260, 6.1L Pushrods, 6.1L Exhaust Springs, QTP Cutout, Super Chips, NGK 4306s, Taylor Wires, TransGo Shift Kit, AT3030, CalTracs.
Awaiting Install:Thorley Mid's

#6 Old 03-29-2009, 12:39 AM
MagnumPower

BigKRaul told me that happened to him a few times on the hwy...PM him and ask him what he did.

2004 Dodge Ram QCSB.....out of surgery and ready for more.
#7 Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Coyotepride361

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobtheBuilder View Post
what does it do during hard acceleration?
I tried fooling around with it... after slowing down from a hard acceleration its a definite die...The car will def. shut off.....now its turning off at every stop sign and stop light. Also, the car wont strart up after dieing...itll make that weird "trying to start" noise when the key is turned..
#8 Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Coyotepride361

(Thread Starter)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB112 View Post
Have you flushed or changed the tranny lately. Sometimes if the filter isnt seated right the tranny throws a fit and can cause engine stalling etc.But a good cleaning of the TB and a PCV replacement might clear things out too.

KB
Yea the shop flushed the tranny, but that couldnt make the problem because the truck was stalling before i put it in the shop. Im going to have the shop do the following:

change throttle position sensor
change camshaft position sensor
change crankshaft position sensor
change Mass Airflow Sensor
change Fuel Pump
clean throttle body
check Idle air control valve
check engine air temperature sensor
check PCV valve

Instead of guessing, might as well just have them do it all huh? Only problem is....how much do you think thatll run me?
#9 Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 AM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Owch.......is what it'll run you!
Any dealership/mechanic should not have to throw the "kitchen sink" at a problem, to fix it.
Anyone worth their salt shouldn't.

This fault needs a logical planned approach and a good mech, should be able to do that.
Don't go into the shop with the attitiude of "might as well just have them do it all huh?".
They will sniff that out right away and charge you the earth!
This fault now seems to have manifested itself on a more permanent basis. This will help the mech tremendously, as you can now demonstrate this dying repeatedly and consistantly. That is a great help, much better than having a tricky untraceable intermittent fault.
Hope this helps?
Al.

03 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi SLT
5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.
NGK Iridiums. Detroit TruTrac. TMR delete.
Procomp ES9000 with torsion bar tweak.
EBC slotted rotors with Yellow stuff pads and Cooper Zeon LTZ275/60/R20.
3" T304 stainless steel custom exhaust with high flow cat side exit near rear tire with DMH Electric cutout and T304 custom muffler.
Prinz LPG VSI sequential gaseous injection system
with 2x70 litre siamesed fuel tanks.

Exterior Mods
Siege Engineering Kong Mk2 Train horns 200 psi Viair 480C compressor & 3 gallon tank.
6000K HID Twiggy hi/lo + fogs.
White front and red rear LED license plate bolt Skulls.
Rear view colour camera with infra red, hooked up to an LCD rear view mirror doubling up as a 7" monitor
Tints 20's & Westins.
Raider Low Rider solid tonneau.
Xenon wheel arches.
Billet Aluminium Rapid hitch.
EZ lift tailgate torsion bar.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
Black coin holder ha ha ha.
DVD head unit.
2xRockford Fosgate Punch 12" subs.
2 Kenwood 6x9's & 2 5.25's.
2x9inch DVD screens built into custom headrests.
Full custom black leather interior with red piping & custom stitched red Ram logo into front seat backs .
Toad Thatcham cat 1 alarm
#10 Old 03-29-2009, 06:25 AM
krs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotepride361 View Post
Yea the shop flushed the tranny, but that couldnt make the problem because the truck was stalling before i put it in the shop. Im going to have the shop do the following:

change throttle position sensor
change camshaft position sensor
change crankshaft position sensor
change Mass Airflow Sensor
change Fuel Pump
clean throttle body
check Idle air control valve
check engine air temperature sensor
check PCV valve

Instead of guessing, might as well just have them do it all huh? Only problem is....how much do you think thatll run me?
Majority of that is simple to do yourself, since you are just replacing sensors . The fuel pump takes more time than rest and if it was me I would probably let someone else do it. Also we dont have a mass airflow sensor. I would think the camshaft sensor would pop a check engine light if it was faulty?

But do clean the tb , replace the pcv valve since the part cost under $7.00. Check about the return policy on all the sensors especially the iac(most solved the problem with this one that I know of), just in case none of those solves your problem.

Keep in mind you might need to get your pcm flashed from the dealer with an updated version, I know mine did which solved my problem a few years ago.

If you dont have one get a haynes repair manual and along with this site you will be good to go.

2002 Ram 4.7L 2wd Sold

Performance: 4.56 Gears, H/O Cams, 2008 Intake Manifold, 70mm TB, 4" Custom MIT Tube, Gibson SS Headers, ATI Pulley, SCT Tuned by FlyinRyan,2.5" Custom Y-Pipe With Magnaflow High Flow Cat and Muffler (12580) SI/DO Turn Down After Axel, Jeep Grand Cherokee TCM,

Suspension 4" CST Spindles, 1" Body Lift, 2" Lift Shackles, Doetsch Shocks

Others Srt-10 Pillar With Tranny Gauge, 16 Row Tranny Cooler, Color Matched Grill Shell
#11 Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 AM
krs

Here is a link for a how to about cleaning your tb

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166641

2002 Ram 4.7L 2wd Sold

Performance: 4.56 Gears, H/O Cams, 2008 Intake Manifold, 70mm TB, 4" Custom MIT Tube, Gibson SS Headers, ATI Pulley, SCT Tuned by FlyinRyan,2.5" Custom Y-Pipe With Magnaflow High Flow Cat and Muffler (12580) SI/DO Turn Down After Axel, Jeep Grand Cherokee TCM,

Suspension 4" CST Spindles, 1" Body Lift, 2" Lift Shackles, Doetsch Shocks

Others Srt-10 Pillar With Tranny Gauge, 16 Row Tranny Cooler, Color Matched Grill Shell
#12 Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Voodoo
Motörhead For Life!

Coyotepride361 where are you located ??

2012 Ram 1500 TRADESMAN REGULAR CAB 4X2 8' BOX

Billet Technology Catch Can From moes-performance.com

"You Can't fix Stupid"

#13 Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Coyotepride361

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Coyotepride361 where are you located ??
Im in Alice its about 40 miles south of corpus christi
#14 Old 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Voodoo
Motörhead For Life!

I been down that was once I think

If you where in Houston I might of been able to get you to a better mech.

2012 Ram 1500 TRADESMAN REGULAR CAB 4X2 8' BOX

Billet Technology Catch Can From moes-performance.com

"You Can't fix Stupid"

#15 Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Coyotepride361

(Thread Starter)
Any other fresh ideas ?
#16 Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Coyotepride361

(Thread Starter)
Took off my throttle body as i intended to clean it....it was sparkling clean. mustve been the mechanics.... Guess that eliminates that idea

Ive got a new list to what it might be:
throttle position sensor
intake air temperature sensor
pcv valve
camshaft position sensor
crankshaft position sensor
mass airflow sensor
fuel pump

let me describe this again..

flashing red lightning bolt is coming on occasionaly(Electronic Throttle Control)

While driving the truck will stall. Usually while slowing down from a fast speed, when the truck begins to act up bad it will die at almost every stop sign/light. After stalling, the truck will have a hard time starting back up. When it stalls the only way to realize it is to notice the deceleration and hard steering. The radio,a/c, and lights stay on. The truck will stall when decelerating from a fast speed,idleing,in reverse,or any other time when your not feeding the engine gas with the acceleration pedal. Another problem is when the Electronic Throttle Control(flashing red lightning bolt) comes on at random and the truck loses power and throttle response.You can have the gas pedal floored but the truck will only move at 10-15 mph, it will take a park and turning the truck on and off for it to work again. Also the idle sometimes has a problem. When the truck is in park the truck will sometimes rev itself (usually around 500-1100) at times the truck will go below 500, begin to shake, and die( or rev hard and struggle to stay alive). The truck also sometimes revs itself while in drive. For example, you can be driving and come to a stop sign and the truck will just keep reving itself. Not only at stop signs either sometimes while going 20 or another slow speed(also when allowed to roll in Drive)the truck will constantly "jump".***New Problem>> I think the transmission linkage needs to be adjusted. Sometimes when you turn on the truck it wont let you move the gear shifter itll take turning the truck on and off for it to move.

Last edited by Coyotepride361; 03-31-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Info.
#17 Old 04-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Coyotepride361

(Thread Starter)
please help lol i just bought a new tps and idk where it goes? any help
#18 Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
4.56'd5.7
Trucks Rule

Check all your grounds.

03 QC Hemi 4x4, Motive 4.56's, APS 2800, Dynatech Lt's/Y,Comp 260, 100 shot, AT3030/AR30 Res, SC 3715, AEM CAI, AEM Wideband, Trac lok LSD, MSD 9mm's, Rancho RS9000, Undercover bed cover, LMC Rollpan, PML Diff cover

PB 1/8th : 8.25 1.75 60' @ 80mph
#19 Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Coyotepride361

(Thread Starter)
Still have my damn intake off and throttle body removed no space for a tps on either side of the intake manifold....getting really ticked off
#20 Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 PM
ChryslerTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotepride361 View Post
Still have my damn intake off and throttle body removed no space for a tps on either side of the intake manifold....getting really ticked off
Hemi's don't have a seperate TPS sensor since the throttle body is not controlled by cables. They have a APPS sensor which is mounted below the battery tray and has a cable running to the accelerator pedal.

REMOVAL
3.7L V6
The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is mounted to the throttle body (TPS LOCATION - 3.7L V-6), or (TPS INSTALLATION - 3.7 V-6).

Remove air resonator tube at throttle body.
Disconnect TPS electrical connector.
Remove 2 TPS mounting screws.
Remove TPS.
4.7L V-8
The TPS is located on the throttle body (TPS LOCATION - 4.7L).

Remove air duct and tube at throttle body.
Remove two TPS mounting bolts (screws) (TPS LOCATION - 4.7L).
Remove TPS from throttle body.
5.7L V-8
The 5.7L V-8 engine does not use a separate Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the throttle body.

5.9L V-8
The TPS is located on the side of the throttle body (TPS LOCATION - 5.9L V-8).

Remove air intake tube at throttle body.
Remove two TPS mounting bolts (TPS LOCATION - 5.9L V-8).
8.0L V-10
The TPS is located on the side of the throttle body (TPS MOUNTING BOLTS - 8.0L V-10).

Remove air plenum.
Remove two TPS mounting bolts (TPS MOUNTING BOLTS - 8.0L V-10).

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.c...S/80f292b5.gif

You have a problem with your throttle body. You're also experiencing problems with the shift interlock that is integrated into the shift cable. Get a scanned and see if it has any codes related to the ETC

'09 Quad Cab Monotone Laramie/Sport Conversion, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, ProComp 6 inch lift, RevTek 2 inch spacers, 3" Body Lift, 35x13.5x20, ProComp, 20x10 Rockstars, Predator, 4.56s -Traded in- ROTM Feb '11

'11 2500 Laramie, 8" BDS lift, 37x12.5x 20 BFG KM2s on 20" Eagle 079s, Predator, Bushwacker flares

Last edited by ChryslerTech; 04-03-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.