Replacing fuel injector? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Barbarossa13

Replacing fuel injector? - Posted: 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

So I tried searching but couldn't find a DIY on replacing a fuel injector? I'm almost positive I have a leaking fuel injector. So I'm going to do a tune up soon, and hopefully find a plug that looks wet. That should tell me what injector is leaking, correct? So anyone have any advice on replacing one? And is my train of thought correct in finding which injector is leaking? Thanks in advance folks!
Advertisement

HemiRamOn22s

Posted: 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Hemi2nV
City: Dover
State: DE
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #2

you could pull the injector and check for damage to the O-ring. first thing you do is pull the fuel pump fuse while the truck is running then let it die. turn the key off. undo the positive to the battery. disconnect the injector plugs. unbolt the fuel rail. its 2 bolts for each side. pop the clip off the injector and pull the injector. make sure you have plenty of rags to collect the fuel that will come out when you pop off the injector. to reinstall the injector put some vasaline on the o-ring and slide it back in. reinstall the clip. Repeat as needed. make sure the injectors are seated nice before you install the fuel rail bolts. reinstall the connectors to the injectors and then battery and start it up and check for leaks. Be careful to clean up any excess fuel. A leaky o-ring could cause a fire.

HemiRamOn22s
2014 Black CC 4wd Hemi Ram Sport
-Bilsteins @2.1-Solo Mach40 Exhaust-305/55 Nitto Terras-20x10(-12) Fuel Mavericks-Ram Lockbox-
Coming soon... Tint-Air Lift 1000s-Factory Brake Controller

Other Rides
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2012 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Barbarossa13

Posted: 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Wow, thanks for the input HemiRam, sounds like a chore!

johnnyk416

Posted: 03-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
City: waterford, NY
State: NY
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa13 View Post
I'm almost positive I have a leaking fuel injector. :
One question what makes ya think ya have an injector leaking??
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

draggin-accord

Posted: 03-17-2009, 11:24 PM
//Negative Camber\\
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk416 View Post
One question what makes ya think ya have an injector leaking??

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237883

current project:
low tow - 04 rc sb 2wd hemi - too many mods to list

HEMI VALVE SPRING SWAP TOOL MAKER

johnnyk416

Posted: 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
City: waterford, NY
State: NY
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin-accord View Post
Thanks didn't see that, but he still has changed the plugs from what I can see on the other thread. 62K on stock coppers is way to much mileage mine at 33K were .010-.015 out of spec, can't imagine what they would look like if they had 62K on them.

Johnnyk

ivegotcows671

Posted: 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
City: Lebanon, Tn
State: TN
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk416 View Post
Thanks didn't see that, but he still has changed the plugs from what I can see on the other thread. 62K on stock coppers is way to much mileage mine at 33K were .010-.015 out of spec, can't imagine what they would look like if they had 62K on them.

Johnnyk
This make me nervous to pull mine out at 70k..they are getting replace this weekend

2003 4.7L QC RAM

SCT Tune by HEMIFEVER / Killians Ported and Polished Heads / HO Cams / JBA Ceramic Coated Headers / Motive 4.10 gears with lsd / Gibson Dual Extreme Exhaust / DMH electric cutout / Fastman 70mm Throttle body / Jet 180 Tstat / Ramhammer / Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster / Powerwire/Jetstream Scoop / Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge / Custom Powdercoated Srt10 wheels wrapped in 305-40-22 Nitto 420s / Sport Conversion / McGaughys 2/4 Deluxe Drop

Signature picture by BMRbrnSNRbrd

06trxhemi

Posted: 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
ASE approved
State: AZ
Post #8

i have 32 5.7 injectors let me know if you need some.they are all used but if you PM me an address ill send you what you need for the cost of shipping.
follow along with the CNC Plasma cut parts on a 41 Plymouth rat rod build
(i have the capability to do the cutting)
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356638

Barbarossa13

Posted: 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Sorry I haven't responded, been a hectic few days. Anyway I still haven't tore into my truck. The dealer said it's not covered under 70k/7 year, wishful thinking, and another place wanted $160 to replace the injector. So I think I'll try it myself. Will I know a bad injector when I see it? Or is it normally just a bad o-ring on these that causes a leak? Thanks again for your input guys, I really appreciate it!

06trxhemi

Posted: 03-25-2009, 07:11 AM
ASE approved
State: AZ
Post #10

I got your PM, and ill respond to it a little later.
follow along with the CNC Plasma cut parts on a 41 Plymouth rat rod build
(i have the capability to do the cutting)
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356638
Closed Thread