transmission flush or refill? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

screwballl

transmission flush or refill? - Posted: 02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
2nd04Durango
City: Sandy South
State: FL
Post #1

I had my D in for the G07 recall and when they did the top to bottom inspection they said the transmission fluid was extremely dirty... and the information I saw said it only needs to be done every 100,000 miles (and my D is at 81K miles) but I assumed that is because of the long life transmissions they have nowadays... the dealership wants $200 for a flush, one local shop wants $350, 2 other places including a well trusted transmission shop (excellent marks with BBB and local/state business awards) said there is no need for a "flush" through those machines, just a drain and refill (plus filter(s)) and they are asking around $110.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Advertisement

aypanthony

Posted: 02-13-2009, 08:39 AM
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
2 other places including a well trusted transmission shop (excellent marks with BBB and local/state business awards) said there is no need for a "flush" through those machines, just a drain and refill (plus filter(s)) and they are asking around $110.

Ideas? Suggestions?
IMHO, a drain, filter(s) change is all you need. It is also a chance for them inspect the pan for anything unusual. If you decide to go this route, have them install a drain plug, then you can do it yourself the next time.
4" Off-Road Lights,
Yakima Low-rider towers w/bars
Gibson Swept Side Exhaust
Hankook ATM "33
Bilstein Shocks
1.5" wheel adapters

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Nivled

Posted: 02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
City: Wisconsin
State: WI
Post #3

I did both @ Cottman Transmission. Cost me about $119 (flush and Drop the pan). AND on top of that they let me watch!!!

Mods:
Boyo Rear Camera
NAV Video
REC LockPick
9006 HID
H13 HID
2-way Remote Start
Gibson Headers (REMOVED- due to crack after running for only 2 months)
Volant Cold Air Intake (REMOVED- mileage dropped by 2 mpg and it was too LOUD)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

sca

Posted: 02-13-2009, 07:33 PM
City: Streetsville, CANADA
State: ON
View This User's Timeslip
Post #4

I'm pretty sure it is a 50,000 interval!
I had mine done twice already and I'm at 80K miles.
Mine was a flush at the dealer, OEM Tranny Fluid is the only way to go!
Our trannies don't like any other fluids!

Sir_Eagle

Posted: 02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Hemi User
City: Akron, Ohio
State: OH
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypanthony View Post
IMHO, a drain, filter(s) change is all you need. It is also a chance for them inspect the pan for anything unusual. If you decide to go this route, have them install a drain plug, then you can do it yourself the next time.
Drop the pan yourself, change the filter, put on a new gasket and bolt the pan back on. Have to torque the bolts right when you put them back on. 105 in/lb for the 545RFE tranny. It also has a transmission cooler return filter in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sca
I'm pretty sure it is a 50,000 interval!
The manual says every 60,000 miles:
Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid and
change main sump filter (4.7L/5.7L only). This applies
only if your vehicle is used for police, taxi,
fleet, or frequent trailer towing.

My Haynes Repair manual says change it at 100,000 miles.
Ram Head Hitch Cover / 12" Black Stubbie Antenna / 20% Tinted Fronts
Resonator removed / Magnaflow 22" (12578)
265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 / Monroe Reflex Shocks / TB Lift(6 turns) / Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors / Ceramic Pads

Eagle's Nest Photography & kmartin.smugmug.com
Stubby Antenna Club Member #1 / Hemi Owners Club Member #8 / Ohio Truck Club Member #9 / Mineral Grey Truck Club Member #60 / DT Durango Club Member #102

sca

Posted: 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM
City: Streetsville, CANADA
State: ON
View This User's Timeslip
Post #6

Well....I don't want to take chances....I keep changing every 50K...

Sir_Eagle

Posted: 02-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Hemi User
City: Akron, Ohio
State: OH
Post #7

Never hurts to do it more often.
Ram Head Hitch Cover / 12" Black Stubbie Antenna / 20% Tinted Fronts
Resonator removed / Magnaflow 22" (12578)
265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 / Monroe Reflex Shocks / TB Lift(6 turns) / Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors / Ceramic Pads

Eagle's Nest Photography & kmartin.smugmug.com
Stubby Antenna Club Member #1 / Hemi Owners Club Member #8 / Ohio Truck Club Member #9 / Mineral Grey Truck Club Member #60 / DT Durango Club Member #102

screwballl

Posted: 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
2nd04Durango
Post #8

interesting, that is something I have never had to do on any of my vehicles... there was always the "suggested" 50K mile drain/refill but never had any need to do it... my 79 Chevy Luv, 76 GMC truck, my 89 Olds Cutlass, my 91 Suburban... none of them ever needed a flush or drain/refill and they all had minimum 150K miles and some over 200K miles...

Flealami

Posted: 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Post #9

The reason that a flush is recommended instead of just a drain and fill is that when you drain the tranny you only get a fraction of the fluid, most of it remains trapped in the tranny inner workings. The first time you drive it with the new fluid it will mix with the old fluid and instantly become contaminated. The only way to properly do a drain and fill is to drain, fill, drive, drain and fill again, drive, drain, replace filter, fill again.

Several times, it is a pain in the arse versus just having the flush done which forces all the old fluid out of the tranny.

Flea

Don Fox

Posted: 02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Post #10

All:

Agreed that a flush may be the way to go IF the tranny is on a regular schedule of them, and it is kept up.

OTOH, many, many folks have had bad results from taking a high mile tranny that has never had one, and/or been abused by not being serviced at all.

Although a flush does do a good job of replacing all of the fluid, it also tends to break loose accumulated crap and force it through the trans causing really expensive issues if not catastrophic failure usually sooner than later.

Many places push them since they are a money maker, one way or the other.

Chrysler does not recommend them either, simple drain and refill with a filter change is the way to go unless you are 1st owner starting from scratch.

Don

05 Linen Gold Pearl Grand Caravan SXT
w/3.8L (hers) since 09/30/06

screwballl

Posted: 02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
2nd04Durango
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fox View Post
All:
OTOH, many, many folks have had bad results from taking a high mile tranny that has never had one, and/or been abused by not being serviced at all.

Although a flush does do a good job of replacing all of the fluid, it also tends to break loose accumulated crap and force it through the trans causing really expensive issues if not catastrophic failure usually sooner than later.

Many places push them since they are a money maker, one way or the other.

Chrysler does not recommend them either, simple drain and refill with a filter change is the way to go unless you are 1st owner starting from scratch.

Don
thats how I had always understood it all my years growing up with my best friends dad who was Master Sargent in the USAF (retired) and had been a grease monkey all of his life... they taught me quite a few things... except how to actually do it

Dj Ready Red

Posted: 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
The Musical Enforcer
City: Trenton
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

I'm close to 80k myself so I'm gonna consider all options I have read so far!!

DT Durango Club Member # 78
Green Truck Club Member # 36
# 5 "Black Mamba" DIY CAI Club Member
..........My Durango Is A..........
2004 Timberline Green Pearl Coat

SLT 4.7 L V8 Magnum 4WD
3.55 Gears with Aftermarket Tow Package
FlowMaster Super 44 Series with Resonator Chopped
Black Mamba Cold Air Intake Design by HEMI5PNTSVN
Buffalo Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
ION Wheels Style 156 22x9.5
Falken ZIEX S/TZ-04 305/45/22
Lund Interceptor Bug Shield with modded chrome trim border
Ventshade Vent Visor
Truck Tek Chrome Door Handle Covers
TPS Mirror Cover's
Pilot Fender Vents
Bully Fuel Door Cap
Chrome 3m Tape On Grill
Sony Explod 4030 Ip Head Unit
Sony Explod 6.5 3 Way Front/Rear Speaker's

Don Fox

Posted: 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Post #13

My Gen 1 book says 15 interval if you tow a lot, and 30k if you don't.

IMO the 15k deal is overkill. I don't tow more than a couple of times a year, and usually 2000 pounds or less on short trips.

I followed the 30k marker since I had an extended warranty to satisfy, but now that it has run out I think I will run that out a bit to 40 or 50k.

IIRC, the Gen 2's are at 50k on their non severe service schedule.

No matter how you cut it, a fluid and filter change now and then sure beats replacing a $3000 tranny, not to mention the associated down time.

Don

Rich86

Posted: 02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
City: Little Falls, NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

My buddy advised me that its best to flush it every 30k. I met him at dodge since hes usually the tech that works on my D, so we talk and discuss a lot of things. He knows the people down at KRC Performance too, which are actually one of our sponsors. He was telling me that if your gonna flush the tranny, you might as well do the front and rear diffs and transfer case, (if you have awd) at the same time. Price for that is about 400 bucks though. Ive got 52k on my D right now, so i think im just gonna wait till i hit 60k and do everything on the list including that. I figured since i bought it used, i might as well catch up on what was possibly not done on it and make sure everything is up to par. 60k service is 550

Mods so far..
-Mesh Grill
-Grill Shell and lower half of bumper painted black
-Inserts on rims painted black
-TB Lift
-Custom 4" Intake
-Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust
-6000k Hids for heads and fogs
-SCT Tuned by HEMIFEVER

screwballl

Posted: 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
2nd04Durango
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
My buddy advised me that its best to flush it every 30k. I met him at dodge since hes usually the tech that works on my D, so we talk and discuss a lot of things. He knows the people down at KRC Performance too, which are actually one of our sponsors. He was telling me that if your gonna flush the tranny, you might as well do the front and rear diffs and transfer case, (if you have awd) at the same time. Price for that is about 400 bucks though. Ive got 52k on my D right now, so i think im just gonna wait till i hit 60k and do everything on the list including that. I figured since i bought it used, i might as well catch up on what was possibly not done on it and make sure everything is up to par. 60k service is 550

thanks for the info... although the flush is overkill... the drain and refill should be fine in most cases

Rich86

Posted: 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Your welcome. Personally i think it depends on how the vehicle is driven and used. We all want whats best for our D's lol

Mods so far..
-Mesh Grill
-TB Lift
-Custom 4" Intake
-Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust
-SCT Tuned by HEMIFEVER

Don Fox

Posted: 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Rich:

You will want to service BOTH front and rear axles each time regardless of AWD or part time 4x4.

Most 4x4/AWD vehicles today do not have locking hubs to disconnect the front driveline from the wheels, thus everything is still turning at all times, just not under power (in the case of PT4x4).

Our Durangos are a good example of this as the part time models are disconnected inside the T case, so everything up front still turns no matter what.

Don

Rich86

Posted: 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Don:

Your right. But thats what i meant to say. When i said "if you have AWD" i was referring to the people who had 2wd durangos, since they dont have a front diff or transfer case, not part time or full time all wheel drive vehicles.

Mods so far..
-Mesh Grill
-TB Lift
-Custom 4" Intake
-Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust
-SCT Tuned by HEMIFEVER

Don Fox

Posted: 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Post #19

Rich:

OIC..............

screwballl

Posted: 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
2nd04Durango
Post #20

ummm this thread is about the transmission, not differentials...