Truck won't start - HELP! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
dodge_em

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Truck won't start - HELP!

TRUCK WON’T START.

I will try to describe everything that I know, and see if any of you have any advice.

I recently got back from a 600 mile trip to Illinois and back to Ohio. When I got back into Toledo, I had to make a couple of stops. While idling in the parking lot waiting for the GF to come back to the truck, the truck died on my twice. It didn’t want to start right away, but if I waited a minute, it re-started fine and I made it home. The next morning, it would crank, but didn’t want to fire. A quick shot of starting fluid through the airbox and it fired up. I know that starting fluid is not a good thing to use, but figured a quick shot would not permanently hurt anything. It ran fine for a quick errand I had to run, and then I parked it when I got home. Over the course of the last week, I have been unable to get it started no matter what I have done. I thought I got some bad fuel, so I changed the fuel filter. It will crank (seemingly a little slower than usual), but it won’t fire. If I try a shot of WD-40… nothing. If I try a shot of starting fluid, the cranking will actually sort of seize up, and sneeze back through the intake almost like a backfire. Even if it is not getting fuel, shouldn’t it fire and run a little rough just on starting fluid or WD-40? I noticed in the last week or so that it has a very small fuel leak somewhere near the injection pump, although I can’t tell where. (It leaves a puddle about the size of a quarter). Turning the key 3 times gives me a P1693 code on the dash, which I know is just a companion code. The truck is in my garage, and I haven’t had it towed anywhere to get the code pulled from the OBD II port. When I changed the filter, I tried to see if the lift pump was working. With the filter out, I turned the key to on. The lift pump buzzes like it always has, but the reservoir for the filter did not fill up. Should it? The truck went through 3 lift pumps before this one was installed at 100k. It has been on ever since. The injection pump is the original. I have a JVD Torque Enhancer Fueling box installed, but it hasn’t seem to work for the last 60k miles or so. It runs like it is on stock power.

If I need to get it towed in somewhere, I will. But before I just started throwing money at it, I was wondering what your thoughts were. I know that mechanics will change parts thinking that they know what the problem is, and if it doesn’t fix the problem, they don’t take that part back off and give you credit. You just buy a new part that you may not have needed. If I have a better idea of what might be wrong, then I can evaluate better what a mechanic diagnoses. If it is something that I can fix myself… even better.

The fact that it won’t even fire with WD-40 or starting fluid confuses me. Did the injection pump finally die? Is the injection pump timing off? Could the truck have jumped time somehow? Is the lift pump bad? Crank position or Cam Position Sensor bad? Bad PCM or ECU? I checked the fuses under the hood and on the side of the dash and they seem fine.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, 4.7L, Cooper Discoverer HTP tires, 122k miles

1978 Ram W150 Club Cab, Convertible, Step Side w/wooden floor, 4x4, '69 440 engine, Auto, 3.55 gears, 33x12.50x15's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Clunk

Sounds like it's not getting fuel, what's your lift pump fuel pressure?

'01.5 2500 4x4 Red QC Sport HO SWB, 6spd.,cowl hood, 4" ex., Edge Drag Comp, Banks boost & pyro pillar mount, single Holley style lift pump...13psi WOT, US Gage & 4 grease gun lines for fuel pressure monitor, Power Service in the tank, Amsoil in the trans and Valvoline in the pan. Vulcan Big Line kit, Napa #2790 BHAF, cheapo fuel cooler, IP 200's, Cat C300 turbo 3.55 gears jes' like Ram3500Dually sez..., ARP studs, 507.9hp, 1050 torq.

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
#3 Old 02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Fmt662

if there's no fuel I doubt that a shot of starting fluid or wd-40 will have enough kick to turn the engine over. I'd check for fuel pressure at the injection pump. Loosen the flare nut on one of the injector lines and crank the engine over, there should be fuel coming out of the injector line. Alternatively, remove the fuel inlet line to the injector pump and turn the key on, see if the lift pump is getting fuel to the injector pump.
#4 Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 PM
regsburg

if you have checked and ruled out ,lift pump,pressures,,and have no code's that will cause a no start problem, plus crank speed ,,heaters ,,,,filters,,air and fuel
I had the same problem with my truck .had to sniff it with either..
and in the summer i had to do the same ..not as often..plugging it in ,,it would start every time,the problem was with the ,,,,pressure limiting valve;; part 5093113aa'',,,,haven't had a problem since
I have read the ,,cascade,, valve on the pump is also a problem with a hard ,to a no start

hope this will help
bill
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.