'95 Plymouth Voyager "Trans System Relay" going nuts before engine start. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

deusexaethera

'95 Plymouth Voyager "Trans System Relay" going nuts before engine start. - Posted: 02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
State: VA
Post #1

Still trying to diagnose what the hell is going wrong with my 1995 Plymouth Voyager -- aside from the fact that it's old as dirt and has 288kmi on the clock, of course.

It's intermittently dropping into 2nd gear, the infamous "limp mode" (without which I wouldn't have made it home one night, so it's not all bad), and the speedometer is also intermittently cutting out. Both the input and output speed sensors have been replaced, so while it's possible the new OSS is pooched already, it doesn't seem likely. I unplugged the ISS, OSS, and transmission computer harnesses and hit them with silicone spray to dry them out, but that made no difference.

Since it's a '95, I don't have the luxury of plugging in an OBD2 reader, but I was able to use the Check Engine light to blink out codes to me, and it's reporting codes 37 and 15 -- i.e., "Part Throttle Solenoid Short" and "No Output Speed Sensor Signal".

In addition, I noticed that one of the relays in the relay box next to the battery is clicking on/off constantly, stock-ticker style, when the ignition is on but the engine is off. It stops doing that when the engine is started. It might be totally unrelated, but I don't recall it ever doing that before. I swapped out the relay and it still does it, so it's not a problem with the relay in any event.

Any of this ring any bells?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

91AWD3.3

Posted: 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
State: ON
Post #2

Sometimes, shutdown & restart gets the tranny back.
Grounds can be problematic; allpar covers all the basics.
Dealer Item $$$ type scanner can pull tranny codes (~40 buckis).
Good thread here.
Tranny solenoid pack might be a prob & ~ easy (clean up & 3 bolts) to change (part is ~ 100 bucks).
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

deusexaethera

Posted: 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
State: VA
Post #3

Well...I appreciate the advice, but we have snow coming, and a move also, so the decision was made to replace the old Plymouth Voyager with a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with ~30kmi on the clock. Anything I should watch out for with this one?
Closed Thread