Voltage spike - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Bratvold

Voltage spike - Posted: 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
State: WI
Post #1

Hello,

The last month or so the voltage will spike to the point that the "check gauges" light and my radar detector’s “high voltage” warning came on. Could a poor ground with the radar detector cause excess voltage requirements that would cause this spike? I do have it wired into the head console.

It only occurred once or twice while I was just driving, but seems to happen when the truck is cold (really cold like around 0 or so seems to do it) and when I use the power seats, but like I said it has happened a couple times while doing normal driving.

I was looking at the manual and the voltage regulator is built into the PCM, what about this battery heater circuit? How can I test this?

Also, the voltage meter in the truck is about ¾ to the right of the scale (the two lines, not red to red)

Thanks.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

hawks4x4ram

Posted: 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
City: Central IL
State: IL
Post #2

Alternator, or Voltage Regulator (built into your PCM) would be the first places I would look. Good luck!!

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." Wooderson, Dazed and Confused
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Bratvold

Posted: 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks4x4ram View Post
Alternator, or Voltage Regulator (built into your PCM) would be the first places I would look. Good luck!!
Yeah that's what I thought, but that would mean going to shop with a scan tool, or could you use old fashion voltmeter at some check points?

MikeHTally

Posted: 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Got 2 Hemis
City: Tallahassee, FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

A meter will only show you what you already know, and you'd have to be really ready with the probes. Is it really a spike, or does some "gadget" just think it is? Guess you could rig a meter into the lighter socket and just leave it. The next time you get the spike, look at the meter.

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

Bratvold

Posted: 01-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHTally View Post
A meter will only show you what you already know, and you'd have to be really ready with the probes. Is it really a spike, or does some "gadget" just think it is? Guess you could rig a meter into the lighter socket and just leave it. The next time you get the spike, look at the meter.
How bad do you think it is to have the occasional spike? Like I said, its only when I'm using the assc. AND it's cold outside. The spike never goes outside the two lines, but apparently it's enough to sometimes trigger the check gauges light and my radar detector.

Is there anything I can do to protect a sudden bad spike? I know this sounds silly, but a surge protector?

piper18

Posted: 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
Post #6

First check all connections between the battery and engine and alternator including grounds. A voltmeter will not catch a spike if its not that long of a event. a scan tool with graphing capabilities would work or a lab scope. Your radar detector has nothing to do with the problem. The normal charge voltage is higher the colder it is, a cold battery take a higher voltage than a warm battery.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

Bratvold

Posted: 01-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper18 View Post
First check all connections between the battery and engine and alternator including grounds. A voltmeter will not catch a spike if its not that long of a event. a scan tool with graphing capabilities would work or a lab scope. Your radar detector has nothing to do with the problem. The normal charge voltage is higher the colder it is, a cold battery take a higher voltage than a warm battery.
I'm glad to hear you think it's not that. I didn't think so either, but it was the only variable from the factory electrical system.

I think I will leave it until it thaws out here.
Closed Thread