DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Painted Stock 16" steelies black.

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  05DodgeDakota 
#1 · (Edited)
After seeing many members results of painting there stock wheels, I decided to so the same.

Here's the Process I followed:
1. Removed Wheels
2. Sanded wheels with 160 grit (also removed wheel weights)
3. Cleaned wheels with degreaser (then air dried)
4. Taped off tires
5. 2 coats of etching primer
6. 1 coat of adhesion promoter
7. 2 coats of engine enamel primer
8. 2 coats of engine enamel semi-gloss (wished I had used flat)
9. 1 coat of engine enamel clear
10. baked in the sun for an hour
11. pulled off tape
12. remounted wheels

I waited about 5 mins inbetween coats, and lightly sanded out any imperfections with 320 grit. All the products I used where made by duplicolor or 3M. I'm gonna give the wheels a week to cure before getting them rebalanced. Hope fully I can have the shop use the magnetic wheels that go on the inside of the wheels instead of those lead ones.

I also painted my tailgate ram's head. All together It dracstically changed the look of the tuck. It fits in with my whole black and blue theme. I'm gonna get some flat black decals made for the rear fenders that say brusier.

Pics to come soon, be pateint!

Next thing, tint tails, paint headlights

See less See more
#9 ·
yea me too, but nce I get a small lift with lockers and 4.56s, I wont need it lol

#11 ·
well tell me if you do, I'll give you some tips about things I would have done different. The 06 & 07 steelies are different than th 05s that I have, those have like a different lip that make them look smaller.

#12 ·
nice work Charlie

#15 ·
Thanks, I may have to redo one of them cause brake flid is getting on it from the wheel cylinder I have to replace.

#17 ·
probably, I'll see what the damage is this weekend. I'm gonna have to get an alignment and balance sometime after that too.

#19 ·
well I'm at 50k and this is the first I've had to do it, and considering my driving style that's pretty good.

#20 ·
#10 baked in the sun for 1 hour! HaHa

Where the hell do you live!!! It's freezing everywhere else!

Those look good!

LB

#23 ·
the wheels look real nice, professionally done. let me know how it's holdin' up since you've had 'em done. how much did u have 2 spend on material? i was thinkin' of goin' that route (painting them myself), but i'm leanin' more 2 have my stock rims powder coated. found a couple of places that will do it 4 $65/wheel & 2-3 day turn around time.

#24 ·
Well mine took me about 5 hours and cost about $50. I'd love to have mine powder coated but I can't justify the cost. for $65 a wheel I could buy some new already black steelies. There holding up okay, including the one that got brake fluid all over the back of it. I had to touch it up but that's to be expected. I've even cleaned them with wheel cleaner and they didn't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.