Oil Galley Plug locations - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Lucas_Harman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Galley Plug locations

OK, I am in the midst of tracking down a low oil psi problem in my 408 stroker motor. I bought this from a guy who did all the work and I am backtracking trying to chase this down so I can get this truck on the road. He thinks it is either a bearing clearance issue (cam,crank or rod) or there is a galley plug missing somewhere.

Can anyone tell me exactly how many plugs there are in a 360 Magnum block and there location? I know of the one that blocks the intersection of the oil filter inlet and outlet that is accessed from under the main bearing cap, the plug in the distributor valley, and the two behind the cam thrust plate. Are there any others?

Help! TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2009, 04:59 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

At the rear of the engine there are 2 plugs visible. The 1 on the right (oil filter side) is a galley plug. The one on the left is an access to a galley plug about 2" in the block.... this is the one that is commonly left out and can be seen if the distributor is removed.

Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300
#3 Old 01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
B-300

To be more specific. There is a cup plug in the between the oil filter in/out located in the main line from the oil pump, a 1/4"npt plug under the oil filter adaptor, 3/8" plug at the right rear galley, 1/4 "plug (This one is left out sometimes and can be see through the distributor hole) located under a 3/8" cover plug at the left rear galley and 2 cup plugs at the front of the block under the cam thrust plate.

B-300
#4 Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Lucas_Harman

(Thread Starter)
B300, thanks for the help, I have verified that the cup plug under the main cap from the oil pump is there, the 2 cup plugs under the thrust plate are there, and there is a threaded plug inside the dist pocket. This one is accessed through another threaded plug on the outside of the block.

It sounds like there is one I haven't verified under the oil filter adapter. I'm a little confused on what you are saying with the plugs at the rear galley. I have the one that is inside the dist pocket, is there another at the rear of the engine in this area?
#5 Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
B-300

Your correct that there is 1 in the distributor pocket with an access on the left rear galley, the right rear galley plug is on the outside of the block.... In the bellhousing the left is an access, the right is a galley plug 1 on each side of the cam.
Your correct that there is a plug under the filter adaptor yet to be verified.

B-300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.