Help!Check gage light on, fluctuating temp gage - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
MetallicRam04

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Help!Check gage light on, fluctuating temp gage

My 04's check gage light comes on and the temp goes straight to Hot! (fluctuating back and forth)It's nothing to do with the radiator, water pump, or the rest of the cooling system. It seems to me a short of some sort. I changed the coolant sensor and still nothing works. Has anyone had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
piper18
Great View

Sounds like a wiring issue.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Regular Cab, Long Box, 3.55 LS rear end ,17" cast wheels, Flame Red

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs
#3 Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 AM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Maybe this will help, it's from a past DT Thread.

-----------------------

If you're hearing water running though your heater core, you have air in the cooling system. You need to park the truck in the driveway with the nose sitting higher than the rest of the truck. While the trucks engine is cold, get under the hood and remove the cap. Start the truck and put the heater on high-heat. Double check the level in the bottle and fill it up to the cold mark. Now just let the truck idle while it warms-up slowly. You need to be careful here because if the system has an air pocket, it could flash-boil on you. If it does that, it’ll push coolant out like “Old Faithful”; so be careful. As a safety measure, you can put the cap on but leave it loose. That way if it flash-boils, it won’t hose you down with hot coolant; not fun! As the coolant flows though the bottle, you can feel when the thermostat opens as the upper hoses gets hot. You need the thermostat to stay open a number of times because it the only way to get the air out of the system. Check the gauge on the dash from time-to-time and when you’re sure the coolant is hot, the thermostat has open-n-closed effort times, and the level in the bottle is full to the hot fill line, you can bet the air is out of the system now. Tighten the cap. Turn the heater off and you’re done purging air from the coolant system. There’s a purge tap on top of the engine but if the bottle is sitting higher, it’s the better choice. I’ve never be able to use the bleeder tap without getting hot coolant all over me and the whole engine. That and I hate the feel of coolant on my arms and hands.

Now you can check the cooling fan. Nothing is harder on the cooling system than the time the vehicle is sitting still with no air-flow though the front of the vehicle. When you first start the truck, you won’t hear the fan after the first few seconds. But as the truck just sits there, the air flow though the radiator gets hotter, and the fan clutch begins to get a little heat into it, the clutch will began to lock-up. You should be able to hear the fan pulling air though the radiator. Keep checking the gauge on the dash and watch where it peaks. Where does the gauge set as you drive down the road? That’s about where the needle should be now as your truck just sits with the engine idling. If the trucks temperature keeps climbing, you could very well have a bad fan clutch.

Move you hand across the face of the radiator. Check for cold spots or areas that seem much hotter than the rest of the surface. If the temperature isn’t uniform, you could have a plugged radiator core. Stop leak products have a bad habit of plugging good and bad areas within the core.

After checking all of this and the system just seem to be running too hot, you could have a thermostat that’s not opening fully. Checking or testing it will take more time than the thing is worth. They’re pretty cheap so just replace it. If you’re going to take the time to replace it, you need to make a choice; do I flush the cooling system or use the old coolant. And since you think there maybe stop leak in the system, you need make a choice about using an acid flush though the system. The acid flush should clean that crud out of the system. If you use the acid flush, you need to remember to open up the heat core as well.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

#4 Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
MetallicRam04

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the feedback, I had a mechanic check it with his computer and meter, and everything seemed ok except for the occasional fluctuating . He cleared 2 codes for the temp gage and my gage only goes up 1/4 of the way. Other than that my truck drives fine.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.