No left turn signal and brake light
I have a 2003 1500 with the same problem that I have read a couple times here and found several places over the internet. The running light work on both sides of my trailer, but the left hand brake light and turn signal does not work on the trailer. There is no problem with the trailer. I hooked it up to my wife's Durango to both the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors and everything works. I have also checked a couple of trailers hooked to my truck and the problem is definitely with the truck.
I checked the fuse for the left trailer turn signal and it's ok (I swapped it with the right side fuse and it works there). I believe the problem is with the relay inside the TIPM. If you turn on the right side signal, it functions fine and it sounds pretty normal (click, click.....click, click). If you turn on the left signal, the sound coming from the TIPM is more like (doink, doink.....doink, doink). So, I'm 90% certain it's the relay inside the TIPM. It could be the wire, but I don't think that's the case.
Now for my questions...
1. Is there a Tech service bulletin for this? I know that TSB 08-021-06 is for 2006 Rams with this same problem, but what about 2003 models?
2. This is a dealer only fix, correct? If so, since my truck only has the power train warranty left (I have about 63,000 mi), what will they charge me to fix?
3. Is the dealer fix typically a reprogram of the TIPM or new firmware or something that can be done without buying a new TIPM. If I have to buy a new one I will just hook into the tail light wiring.
4. When I call the dealer what should I say? The reason I ask this is that it seems my dealer will do more for me if I seem to be very intellegent about the issue and seem to know what I am talking about. I'm not trying to get something for nothing here, but I would like to have a fair shake and getting them to fix the problem. (I am a little ticked that Dodge integrated the relays in the TIPM so that they couldn't be replace).
4. If worse comes to worse and I have to break into the tail light wiring, what is the best way to do this? Is there an off the shelf kit that I can buy for just the left side?
I realize that I have a ton of questions and any help is very much appreciated.