No left turn signal and brake light - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Towing Talk

Alpocat

No left turn signal and brake light - Posted: 12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
State: GA
Post #1

I have a 2003 1500 with the same problem that I have read a couple times here and found several places over the internet. The running light work on both sides of my trailer, but the left hand brake light and turn signal does not work on the trailer. There is no problem with the trailer. I hooked it up to my wife's Durango to both the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors and everything works. I have also checked a couple of trailers hooked to my truck and the problem is definitely with the truck.

I checked the fuse for the left trailer turn signal and it's ok (I swapped it with the right side fuse and it works there). I believe the problem is with the relay inside the TIPM. If you turn on the right side signal, it functions fine and it sounds pretty normal (click, click.....click, click). If you turn on the left signal, the sound coming from the TIPM is more like (doink, doink.....doink, doink). So, I'm 90% certain it's the relay inside the TIPM. It could be the wire, but I don't think that's the case.

Now for my questions...

1. Is there a Tech service bulletin for this? I know that TSB 08-021-06 is for 2006 Rams with this same problem, but what about 2003 models?

2. This is a dealer only fix, correct? If so, since my truck only has the power train warranty left (I have about 63,000 mi), what will they charge me to fix?

3. Is the dealer fix typically a reprogram of the TIPM or new firmware or something that can be done without buying a new TIPM. If I have to buy a new one I will just hook into the tail light wiring.

4. When I call the dealer what should I say? The reason I ask this is that it seems my dealer will do more for me if I seem to be very intellegent about the issue and seem to know what I am talking about. I'm not trying to get something for nothing here, but I would like to have a fair shake and getting them to fix the problem. (I am a little ticked that Dodge integrated the relays in the TIPM so that they couldn't be replace).

4. If worse comes to worse and I have to break into the tail light wiring, what is the best way to do this? Is there an off the shelf kit that I can buy for just the left side?

I realize that I have a ton of questions and any help is very much appreciated.

Alan
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Alpocat

Posted: 12-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Post #2

Anybody????
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

JeffB2002

Posted: 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

You have done a lot of research, but I am sorry I cannot help you myself. Hopefully someone will chime in. I would have to say take it down to the dealer and ask the questions you asked here. You do not have to have them do the fix, but at least you will have a starting point. Good Luck with this and keep us posted as you find out the problems.

CW3Chief

A cheaper fix!! - Posted: 12-28-2008, 07:40 PM
State: KY
Post #4

I have exactly the same problem...I have heard it is in the TIPM as well. I haven't checked as to the expense of replacing it but I think in order to prevent it from recurring I'm going with a module to convert my three wire turn/brake to a single wire setup like the older trucks had. Here is a link for them Put the www in front of this (hitchcorner.com/trailer_plugs.htm#mod_kit) DT118190...$52.50 is the heavy duty one. Wierd, why do I have to wait and make 5 posts befor I can post a url?

Hope this helps..

Dave

JeffB2002

Posted: 12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3Chief View Post
I have exactly the same problem...I have heard it is in the TIPM as well. I haven't checked as to the expense of replacing it but I think in order to prevent it from recurring I'm going with a module to convert my three wire turn/brake to a single wire setup like the older trucks had. Here is a link for them Put the www in front of this (hitchcorner.com/trailer_plugs.htm#mod_kit) DT118190...$52.50 is the heavy duty one. Wierd, why do I have to wait and make 5 posts befor I can post a url?

Hope this helps..

Dave
It is to combat spammers. Hope you understand.

CW3Chief

Posted: 12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
State: KY
Post #6

No problem, just never had to wait on any other forums I belong to.

In searching for an answer to the light problem in question, I was surprised at the number of trucks having the same problem. No one ever came up with a real diagnosis either. I heard one price of 200.00 for a replacement TIPM.

Dave

Alpocat

Posted: 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Post #7

Been very busy since Christmas, but I need an oil change (keep getting coupons for an $18 oil change) so I gave the local dealership a call and explained the problem. I figured I'd ask them about the left turn signal issue while I was on the phone. After my explanation, he wasn't very helpful at all. I wanted to give him the TSB# and have him look at that info. He said that their internet connection is down and that it would be tomorrow before it was back up. He did state that a new TIPM installation would probably run me about $800 to $1000. Yeah, whatever. He also said that the TIPM could not be reprogrammed. That is bogus info, right???

Alpocat

Posted: 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Post #8

Ok, I thought I'd post a follow up since perhaps someone with the same problem would come along in the future. I ended up purchasing the Modulite HD to remedy my problem. The dealership wanted to install a new TPIM module. Too expensive.

I bought the Modulite HD from hitchesforless.com. If you choose Modulite #118190, you will get the HD relay switch with no 4-pin connector. I did this because I wanted to tie into the factory trailer plugs already on the truck. I also purchased the wiring kit #118151 as well, but used the 15 Amp fuse that came with the Modulite HD and not the 10 Amp fuse that came with the wiring kit. I did have to use some crimps that I had to tie into the factory plug wires.

Actual wiring is pretty straight forward. You run the power wire from the battery back to the left rear side of the truck. You then mount the relay module to the truck body and tie in the signal wiring to the appropriate wire at the tail lights. The HD doesn't come with a trailer plug so I pulled off the factory flex conduit behind the four pin connector under the truck and cut the factory Left turn, right turn and running light wires. I DID NOT CUT INTO THE GROUNDS. I left the factory ground alone and grounded both the signal and trailer wiring together to the body of the truck. The instructions didn't explain that very well, but both grounds on the Modulite module have ring lugs crimped on. Lastly, I replaced all of the factory conduit.

The Modulite is simply an encapsulated relay center, not unlike the factory, except it's $55 (including the wiring kit) instead of $200+ like the TPIM module. It simply takes signals from the tail lights and power from the battery. It works great. You can hear the relay clicking from the rear of the truck though.