Remove Proportioning Valve? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 1st Gen (87 -96) Forum

Closed Thread

racer190

Remove Proportioning Valve? - Posted: 12-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Would removing the proportioning valve mess up or set off the abs light? My truck is a '92 with rear wheel abs. I know the valve is supposed to limit the amount of brake pressure to the rear wheels, and keep them from locking up during hard stops, but wouldnt the abs do the same thing, even with the valve removed? Under hard stops once the rear wheels start to lock up the abs kicks in and limits brake pressure, and you start to feel it in the pedal correct? There are no abs connectors or anything going to the proportioning valve are there?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dodgef25

Posted: 12-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
City: NM
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #2

Yes it will. It has a sensor to check if there is a pressure difference in between the front and rear. The abs just pulses the brakes to keep the wheel turning a little, it does not limit the pressure. It goes on off on off, when on its full pressure.

So why do you want to remove the proprtioning valve anyway? When safty is a concern you shouldnt remove anything!

My Youtube Videos! ---My Dana 44 SAS
"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER"
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Tsk350

Posted: 12-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Post #3

Ya im curious why you would want to remove the valve as well?? If you have to deal with ice and snow you will be in a world of hurt if you remove that valve. I can picture it now you slow down for a red light and the next thing you know is your doing 360s.

racer190

Posted: 12-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Post #4

Ive got a feeling mine is bad. Wheels cylinders do no leak and are not stuck, master cylinder is good, and there are no rear brakes. Its got new lines and fluid also. They want almost 300 bucks for one from mopar.

Tsk350

Posted: 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Well then a better option than runnin without one is to go to a wrecking yard and grab one there. Hell grab two or three.

moe7404

Posted: 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM
moe7404
City: wichita ks
Post #6

moe in wichita ks
years ago mopar had an adjustable proportioning valve. a lot of non-mopart people used on street rods ect. but i dont know if they still make it. iam sure some one will know. happy hunting

dodgef25

Posted: 12-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Post #7

Summit racing does have an adjustable one but get a dak. spacific one would be best. Jukyard. or ebay.

kprey73

Posted: 12-19-2008, 09:15 PM
State: WI
Post #8

do you get good fluid flow from the rear brakes when you blead them?

guessing that the Proportional valve is probly stuck
Try bleeding the RR, LF, LR, RF do this a couple times - push the pedal easy for this, you should hear and feel a light click in the brake pedal ( this is the valve returning to the center ). this should bring the proportional valve back to the center, you still might have to bleed the brakes more, start from the farthest away from the master and work to it.....

when you are bleeding the brakes are you bleeding the ABS valve? are the rear brakes adjusted correctly?

there are a lot of possibilities but I bet the Proportional valve is stuck once the valve is returned to center you will have all kinds of rear brakes...

hope this helps...
K+N Filter
Silvania Silverstars
Pioneer CD/MP3
XL Trans Cooler
Softball Size Hail Damage

moe7404

Posted: 12-19-2008, 09:57 PM
moe7404
Post #9

moe in wichita ks
is that the valve that has a switch in the middle?

dodgef25

Posted: 12-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe7404 View Post
moe in wichita ks
is that the valve that has a switch in the middle?
Yes it is!

racer190

Posted: 12-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Post #11

Im gonna grab one from the boneyard off a truck with a little lower mileage, i mean come on you cant blame it for not working as my truck has 242,000 on it.

moe7404

Posted: 12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
moe7404
Post #12

moe in wichita ks
i have seen cross sectional views in service manuals. can they be taken apart and cleaned up? i have never had trouble from one . but i have never put that many miles on one. i think 1967was the first year for them, that was the first year the gov required dual master cyls i think. but it seams to me that each car/truck would need a different bias. 1967 also was the first year for a collapseable steering column, one saved my dads life in a 1967 dodge charger. strange what one can remember if your brain gets joged.

sloggerIII

Posted: 02-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Post #13

haveing the same problem with my brakes except they were fine untill the front brake line brust and then had to change the other front one because got alittle angry when it would not come free but now have no pedal even after bleeding all four wheels about 30 times each, fluid comes out right away when bleed even brke loose all lines to and from master still no pedal, also before the blow out everything worked just fine

Last edited by sloggerIII : 02-24-2009 at 07:43 PM.

moe7404

Posted: 02-24-2009, 09:03 PM
moe7404
Post #14

one way to bleed a brake system,if you dont have a power bleeder. is to use two guys, one in the drivers seat one under the truck. be sure and put anti-sieze compound on ALL the threads you take apart, in 50k mile you will be glad you did. the main thing to remember is that the guy under the truck is the boss, and NEVER let the master cyl get dry. the first thing is have the pumper push on the pedel at the same time the bleeder is open, this pushes air out. when the pedel gets to the bottom the pumper says "bottom" at that the bleeder guy quickly closes the bleeder. rule 2 NEVER let the pedel come up with the bleeder valve open, cause that will suck air in to the system. remember that this will have to be done over, over, over, over, you will get tired, but keep it up. some times they will bleed by just opening the valve, and wait it might just come flowing out, i have had it happen when i was alone. but NEVER let the master cyl get dry

DakotaChaos

Posted: 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
State: MN
Post #15

im having the same problem. i had zero rear brakes, then i replaced all internals and bled them. for the first 15 miles give or take i had rear brakes. now a week or two later i have none again. they're adjusted right so maybe i should do the same.

93 Dodge Dakota - 2000 5.9, 4x4, flowmaster 44 series dumped infront of the rear wheels, 4 130w 4x6 kc long range lights on lightbar on a roll bar from a jeep commanche, 2 hella 100w 6in round lights on the grill guard, custom aluminum switch panel, black leather headliner and sun visors, cb radio w/ 2 5ft whips, grey leather seats, sylvania silverstars, navigator true white fog lights, Cragar soft 8's, autolite 3923's, 98 intrepid electric fans w/flexilite fan controller, 3in body lift and reindexed torsion keys, cranked torsions, add a leaf for a 2500, 2 cone style washable air filters, cut and tucked rear bumper,grill guard, 4 welded D rings, Mopar performance computer, 33x12.5x15 procomp mud radials.

2 12" kicker cvrs in custom ported box 4ft^3 tuned to 32 hz, rockford 600.1bd mono amp, crossfire 400w 4channel amp, alpine type-s 4" round in front, 5x7 oval in back, jvc 720 headunit w/ipod adapter, 4g rockford power wire.

to come- a new owner. FOR SALE!!! PM

1996 Dodge Ram 4x4. nothing cool yet. but its bound to happen.

sloggerIII

Posted: 02-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Post #16

I gave up took my 1995 dakota into the shop found both front cal;ipers were bad and both drums were wore down to nothting and rear axil seals were leaking on to the drum pads all replaced $613.00 down the drain on a truck that i paid only $800.00 for two weeks ago nice huh Im going to the guys house and grap him by the back of the head and kick him in the ass!

moe7404

Posted: 02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
moe7404
Post #17

found some good brake info.
http://www.rx7.org/Robinette/brakelines.htm
Closed Thread