Repairing fusible link multi-connector? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 AM
KenD
1987 D150 Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Repairing fusible link multi-connector?

After more poking around under the hood today I discovered that, at some point in the past, 3 fusible links had blown. They are the ones coming off the 5-way multi-connector just below the starter relay.

A shade-tree mechanic did a butcher job and replaced one of the links, bypassing the connector (sort of the way The Book recommends). The other links were repaired by twisting them together then running plain wire *directly* to the POS battery terminal (NO Fusible Link! ).

After looking at all the black tape and loose connections, it's a miracle the truck is running as well as it is. So, the next project is to replace the multi-connector and all the fusible links.

Can this section of wiring harness/connector still be purchased from Chrysler? That would be my first choice. I guess I could look for a pristine one in a junk yard.

What do you all think about removing the existing connector and replacing it with a terminal block (similar to this one)

Anyone been down this road?

Thanks!

1987 D150 LE
Mods completed:
Cupholder - 99 cents (Not spilling my coffee - priceless!)

My other truck is a vintage Douglas DC-8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Megunticook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD View Post
Can this section of wiring harness/connector still be purchased from Chrysler? That would be my first choice. I guess I could look for a pristine one in a junk yard.
Can you discern a part number stamped into the plastic of the old connector? If so, you might be able to hunt down a relic collecting dust on some dealer's shelf. I've found a number of things that way. Trick is to find the right dealer, because I had to call around my area until I found a dealer with a "can-do" attitude who could get on the national computer system and track down the part (if you have trouble in your area, Google Newcastle Chrysler in Maine, there's guy named Fred there who will find what you need if it exists anywhere).

I wouldn't hesitate to wire up something new yourself, though. A lot of times you can do even better than the factory. My wiring at the relay is different than yours, but I've replaced all of it and it's not hard to do. You have a good soldering iron, pair of crimpers, and heat shrink tubing? A good source of quality wire is Waytek, by the way.

1973 W100 shortbed, 318, 4-speed standard
#3 Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Speed Dragon
Aka Force Fed Mopar

I think that terminal block would work fine.

Rob M.
'93 D150 RC SWB, 5.2 Magnum, NV4500 5-spd, 9.25" diff
'72 D100 RC LWB, PT project
#4 Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
KenD
1987 D150 Custom

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megunticook View Post
Can you discern a part number stamped into the plastic of the old connector? If so, you might be able to hunt down a relic collecting dust on some dealer's shelf.
I'll take a close look at it. If I can't find a part number, maybe I'll hike over to a few dealerships with my service manual and see if they can come up with something. Would the service manual have a part number for a chunk of wiring harness?

Thanks for the lead in Maine.

Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate to wire up something new yourself...You have a good soldering iron, pair of crimpers, and heat shrink tubing?
Yes. I'm not at all squeamish about cutting, soldering, shrinking. I'll have to do some reading to make sure I get it right, but I think that may be the easiest way to go. Mounting the connections on a terminal block seems to be an elegant solution.

Thanks for the feedback!

1987 D150 LE
Mods completed:

#5 Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
bherder
Mopar Madness - Get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Dragon View Post
I think that terminal block would work fine.
Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route either... Personally I'd rather go that route, because as Meg says, any wiring that you make yourself (As in soldering and shrinktubing) you know is going to be better than factory... They were worried about time and cost, where as we aren't

"There's been a DODGE in my garage since 1974"

Restoration Photos

#6 Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
KenD
1987 D150 Custom

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bherder View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route either... Personally I'd rather go that route, because as Meg says, any wiring that you make yourself (As in soldering and shrinktubing) you know is going to be better than factory...
Good points. I planned on checking the junkyard for a replacement harness but I might end up with more problems than I have now. I'll start shopping for wire, fusible links and a terminal block.

Can anyone suggest a terminal block that would work well for this application? The one in the link I posted earlier would work, but I'm concerned about the exposed terminal:

I don't like having that thing uncovered under my hood (corrosion, grounding risk, or worse).

Could I cover the hot terminal with some PlastiDip tool dip perhaps??

A block of some sort with a gasket and cover would be slick.

Ken

1987 D150 LE
Mods completed:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.