4 Wheel Drive Vibration - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

magnm

4 Wheel Drive Vibration - Posted: 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Post #1

There is a lot of you guys who are having a lot of vibration issues. People at the dealership and Chrysler engioneers are replacing tires, wheels, rear ends, drive shafts, transmissions, tort converters and that is not the problem.

Take a look at a Dodge Ram Quad cab 2 wheel drive and look at the rear transmission mount. Then look at a 4X4 rear transmission mount. There is your answer.

Grab the tail shaft of the transfer case and start shaking. There is where your harmonic balance humming noise is coming from at 55-60 MPH. You can't do that on a 2 Wheel drive truck. There is no support behind the transfer case because the rear transmission mount on a 4X4 is in front of the transfer case.

Or start shaking the drive shaft at the front U-joint. The whole motor moves. That is why my U-joints wore out at 49,000 mi.

I'm looking for someone with 06, 07 and 08 with the same vibration and still has factory warranty on it. So Chysler can put a service bulletin out on this issue. HELP!! Magnum
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

joe47362

Posted: 11-18-2008, 11:07 PM
hemi '07
City: new castle, in
State: FL
Post #2

LOL...funny thing you mentioned that cause vibration was getting annoying to me again...so just to see if it would help some I securely placed 2 tar straps around transfer case.....yes it did help in reducing the annoying vibration....your right there magnm there is no support for tcase except rear shaft

'Past trucks---
03 QC 4x4- 4.7
*Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member # 113*
'03 has been retired out
COIN HOLDERS ASSOCIATION MEMBER #52 Affiliate Member
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Rich 2500

Posted: 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM
City: Chesapeake City
State: MD
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

Hummmm!?, (no pun intended), this would be a major engineering SNAFU.

Elec. Blue 07 2500 Thunderoad QC Hemi 4X4

BTC #181

Mopar Cai, Mopar SS Nerf Bars, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Wheel Well Liners, EGR In Channel Window Vents, Tinted Windows 30%, Hella 500's behind the grill, Gibson Dual Sport Catback Exhaust, Magna Flow "Y" Pipe, Jet Stream Scoop, Power Wire, LineX Bedliner, Flexalite 180 Efan (shrouldless), Jet 180 Thermostat, Edge Evolution (used as monitor) DiabloSport Predator, Solid Steel Industries-Steering Stabilizer, Carli Starter Suspension System, Carli Adj. Track Bar, Toyo 35/12.50/17 MT on Stock Wheels, Carli Anti Sway Bar, Xeon Fogs 6000K

magnm

Spread The Word - Posted: 11-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Post #4

Spread The Word Get This Info Out To Others And On Diffrent Forums
Ps We Can Beat This Magnm

07quad

Posted: 11-20-2008, 09:51 PM
City: Cornwall, Ontario
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Gonna look into this one.......
levelled with Bilsteins
3" PA body lift
Magnaflow exhaust
Hella's behind the grille

Blue Truck Club member #136

1998 ram 1500 4x4
318 auto
hole in lf fender
38's jammed in stock tearing fenders apart as I turn
waiting to be lifted,dovetailed,shortened and beaten

" having an import that can run 11's...is kinda like coming out of the closet....your going to suprise a lot of people....but in the end your still gay"

TXJ

Posted: 11-21-2008, 06:19 AM
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

because of snow over night, i had to run 4wd this morning on the way to work for the 1st time since i bought my new truck.

I am getting the vibration in 4wd as well. it's annoying when you are just barely on the gas, but if you get on it just a little the vibration goes from annoying to WTF is going on!!!!!!!!

joe47362, what is a "tar strap"? I want to give that a shot to see if that's what's causing my vibration or if it's related to the level kit i installed.

I'll be calling the dealer as soon as they open. Truck is only 4 months old, full factory warranty...

funny thing is, my buddy has a 2007 version of my 2008, but he's got 17" rims not 20"s, like I have. He installed the same level kit as me and claims he gets no vibration at all in 4wd.

now that I felt it 4wd, when i put it back into 2wd I can still feel it, but very faint. I never noticed it until now.

Last edited by TXJ : 11-21-2008 at 06:28 AM.

Rich 2500

Posted: 11-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Post #7

Is this a 1500 issue, my 07 2500 does not seem to do it?

BTC #181

Mopar Cai, Mopar SS Nerf Bars, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Wheel Well Liners, EGR In Channel Window Vents, Tinted Windows 30%, Hella 500's behind the grill, Gibson Dual Sport Catback Exhaust, Magna Flow "Y" Pipe, Jet Stream Scoop, Power Wire, LineX Bedliner, Flexalite 180 Efan (shrouldless), Jet 180 Thermostat, Edge Evolution (used as monitor) DiabloSport Predator, Solid Steel Industries-Steering Stabilizer, Carli Starter Suspension System, Carli Adj. Track Bar, Toyo 35/12.50/17 MT on Stock Wheels, Carli Anti Sway Bar, Xeon Fogs 6000K

TXJ

Posted: 11-21-2008, 06:37 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

AFAIK all of the vibration complaints seem to be from 1500 owners.

magnm

level kit - Posted: 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Post #9

the level kit that you put on your truck leveled the drive shaft angel some what thats why you got rid of some of the problem and not all of the problem

remember some guys are replying with single cab trucks they have shorter drive shafts (no harmonic vibration)

TXJ

Posted: 11-21-2008, 06:57 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

i'll be calling my dealer's service department at 9am sharp. I can't have this shiot!!!

my 2001 off road never had any problems. I regret selling that truck already.

magnm, i think you are totally right on with this one too. I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.explorerprocomp.com/PDFs/07cat/26-27.pdf

read the lower right section:
• Precision crafted one-piece cross members and high strength extended steering knuckle
preserve factory geometry and alignment specs.
• Maintains factory steering rack location to increase ease of installation.
• MX 2.75c performance coil over front shocks with MX6 rear shock option. Also available
with strut spacers to retain the factory struts and nitrogen charged ES9000 rear shocks.

• Complete 6” lift system with driveline correction for vibration free 4WD operation.

• Recommended maximum tire and rim specifications: 35”x12.50” tire on 18”- 20”
diameter rims with 4.625” maximum backspacing. Allows use of factory 20”rims and
tires.
• Suspension installation time 7-8 hours – minimal cutting required – no exhaust
modification.

Transfer case index ring and transmission mount included for vibration free
4WD operation.

I also just read this on another site...

Disclaimer:
Due to a design issue with Dodge Ram front differential and suspension, some owners may experience a
vibration in the front end when in 4x4 mode, or a shaking vibration of the front wheels when going over a
bump at speed. These two symptoms are often called a “death wobble”, but actually appear to be two different
problems with the Ram truck.
The 4x4 only mode vibration is an issue that occurs when in 4x4 high mode. Dodge couldn’t discover why their
stock trucks would do this for some customers. The solution for Dodge was to state that there is no problem
and that all of the new Rams will shudder or shake when in 4x4 high. This symptom appears isolated to 2008
model trucks and when in 4-hi mode but can occur in earlier models.
The steering wobble or vibration has to do with the steering/ball joint equipment.
Dodge had released TSBs on this problem - Daimler Technical Service Bulletin # 22-005-06
In either case, it has become apparent that raising or lifting the front of the Dodge Ram pickup may amplify
these existing OEM problems. In some cases the symptoms exist on non-modified stock vehicles.
It is ReadyLift Suspension’s position that if you have installed a 66-1090 or 66-1020 kit onto your Dodge Ram
truck and experience either of the two symptoms mentioned, IMMEDIATELY HAVE THE LEVELING KIT
REMOVED FROM THE VEHICLE!

I don't want to remove my level kit, the truck look friggin stupid without it!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TXJ : 11-21-2008 at 07:19 AM.

TXJ

Posted: 11-21-2008, 08:26 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Well, that's it... the truck is going to the dealer at 1pm today. Told them what the problem is, and even told them about the transfer case/rear tranny mount thoughts.... just to put that bug in their ear about it, and to let them know they're not gonna pull any BS on me.

I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens. Wish me luck.

Rich 2500

Posted: 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Post #12

Good Luck, I got a feeling you're going to need it.

BTC #181

TXJ

Posted: 11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

Thanks bro...

TXJ

update - Posted: 11-21-2008, 03:45 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

ok, so i get to the dealer a 1/2 hour early... they take me right away... very cool. +1 for the dealer. I mill about the show room, have a coffee, check out the 2009 Rams (pretty nice). Make some phone calls etc. about an hour later the truck is ready.

According to the service guys the front drive shaft connecting to the front differencial was bent. They've never seen one bent on a brand new truck. But I guess things happen.

popped my head under the truck and there's a brand new shaft installed. Of course, whether that really is the problem remains to be seen.

Roads are all clear and dry so I have not tested it. Supposed to get snow tonight so tomorrow I'll give it a go.

Hope that's all it was.

Dealer is open tomorrow, so if the shimmy is still there I'll be driving straight to the dealership to beat someone with the newly installed driveshaft.

SteGTO

Posted: 11-22-2008, 05:43 AM
City: Lucca
State: OTHER
Post #15

Hello Guys, i live in Italy and i own a 2005 Hemi. I have a bad vibration but at hight speed (100mph) with oil leak between shaft and trans case... Has anyone the same problem?

Rich 2500

Posted: 11-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Post #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteGTO View Post
Hello Guys, i live in Italy and i own a 2005 Hemi. I have a bad vibration but at hight speed (100mph) with oil leak between shaft and trans case... Has anyone the same problem?
First of all your crazy if your running that speed for any length of time, more than a few seconds, tires are not rated for it. Try pulling the front drive shaft out, and see if it makes a difference.

BTC #181

SteGTO

Posted: 11-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 2500 View Post
First of all your crazy if your running that speed for any length of time, more than a few seconds, tires are not rated for it. Try pulling the front drive shaft out, and see if it makes a difference.
I'll try that. Thanks

Will225

Posted: 11-22-2008, 05:52 PM
City: Anchorage AK
State: AK
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Today I drove my truck for about 5 miles in 4x4 and in snow. I didnt feel any unusual vibrations.

What area of the truck are you guys feeling/hearing this come from? I'd like to see if I have the same problem before I take my truck to the dealers on Monday to get the CV joint fixed.

2012 5.7L Hemi 4x4 CC Deep Blue Pearl
GOD Squad: 1981 - Eternity!
Military Club Member #74

SteGTO

Posted: 11-23-2008, 05:08 AM
Post #19

I have tried to pulling the front drive shaft out and no change... I think that the trans shaft is balanced only for inferior speeds to 100mph.
Sorry for my poor english again.

Stefano Italy

Rich 2500

Posted: 11-23-2008, 05:23 AM
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteGTO View Post
I have tried to pulling the front drive shaft out and no change... I think that the trans shaft is balanced only for inferior speeds to 100mph.
Sorry for my poor english again.

Stefano Italy
Your English is a heck of a lot better than my Italian, in fact it's very good. One other thing you could try is to swap wheels front to back, put the front wheels on the back and back on the front. Is your truck an automatic transmission, since you don't have the vibration going up thought the gears, I don't think it is in the engine or transmission, since the RPM is probably higher going though the gears, than it is at 100 MPH. You do mean 100 MPH, and not Kilometer, correct?

BTC #181

Closed Thread