Driveline Vibration - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

gpeace

Driveline Vibration - Posted: 11-16-2008, 01:40 PM
G Peace
City: Saco Maine
State: ME
Post #1

OK, I really need help. I have a 2004 3500 4x4 Cummins, Quad 8ft bed with 58000 miles. I bought this truck used after my last truck was totaled. Since I bought this truck it has a vibration in the driveline starting about 60mph. This is a high frequency vibration that you can hear and feel in the seat. To me It feels like a u-joint or drive shaft wipe. The faster you go it gets worse. I’ve had the truck at the dealership (chevy) where I bought it. 2 different Dodge dealers and a transmission shop. To solve the problem the u-joints were replace, new driveshaft, driveshaft balancing, diff wedges, I told carrier bearing was shimmed with no chance. The trany shop said it is enough of a vibration, that I should avoid the highway and the dealer said they have to wash there hands. After 1-1/2 years they do not know what is wrong and they have done everything. Does anyone have any thoughts? Oh did not mention. I had a hunting in 2nd gear problem which the same 3 dealer looked at and after 3 trany rebuilds they finely got it right.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rich 2500

Posted: 11-16-2008, 04:38 PM
City: Chesapeake City
State: MD
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Are you still on the same tires, does it go away if you put it in natural while moving at speed, swap wheels front to back, pull the front drive shaft out drive with out it, check the flywheel, torque convertor, for thrown balance weights, at a stop with the truck in drive, foot on the brake, if you raise the RPM can you get it? I'm sure you tried all this stuff, but that's all I have.
</IMG>

Elec. Blue 07 2500 Thunderoad QC Hemi 4X4

BTC #181

Mopar Cai, Mopar SS Nerf Bars, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Wheel Well Liners, EGR In Channel Window Vents, Tinted Windows 30%, Hella 500's behind the grill, Gibson Dual Sport Catback Exhaust, Magna Flow "Y" Pipe, Jet Stream Scoop, Power Wire, LineX Bedliner, Flexalite 180 Efan (shrouldless), Jet 180 Thermostat, Edge Evolution (used as monitor) DiabloSport Predator, Solid Steel Industries-Steering Stabilizer, Carli Starter Suspension System, Carli Adj. Track Bar, Toyo 35/12.50/17 MT on Stock Wheels, Carli Anti Sway Bar, Xeon Fogs 6000K

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Try harder
City: Norman
State: OK
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #3

The dealer said they have to wash their hands of it???

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

gpeace

Posted: 11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
G Peace
Post #4

Yes still on the same tires, but they were checked. The vibration is a high freqencey not a wheel hop. I have put the truck in natural and brought the rev up. No vibration. I have not pulled the front drive shaft, but I told the trany shop has. I have seen string with people saying to rotate the drive shaft 180 on the yoke. I’m going to try that.
Thanks

Rich 2500

Posted: 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM
City: Chesapeake City
State: MD
Post #5

Yep, forgot that one.

Elec. Blue 07 2500 Thunderoad QC Hemi 4X4

BTC #181

Mopar Cai, Mopar SS Nerf Bars, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Wheel Well Liners, EGR In Channel Window Vents, Tinted Windows 30%, Hella 500's behind the grill, Gibson Dual Sport Catback Exhaust, Magna Flow "Y" Pipe, Jet Stream Scoop, Power Wire, LineX Bedliner, Flexalite 180 Efan (shrouldless), Jet 180 Thermostat, Edge Evolution (used as monitor) DiabloSport Predator, Solid Steel Industries-Steering Stabilizer, Carli Starter Suspension System, Carli Adj. Track Bar, Toyo 35/12.50/17 MT on Stock Wheels, Carli Anti Sway Bar, Xeon Fogs 6000K

gpeace

Posted: 11-16-2008, 06:34 PM
G Peace
Post #6

As far as the dealer. They were a little more politically correct.

gpeace

Posted: 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
G Peace
Post #7

Well, We are still looking. A year and half process has lead to getting drastic. This weekend I pulled the front axels out. The only thing to date I can find is in the front drivers side wheel bearing. The bearing felt tight, tighter than anyother one I have seen and after a road test the hub on this side was warmer than the otherside. One thing I noticed was the bearing rolled fine and sounded great, but when rolling very slow, you could feel the bearing hitch, Almost like there were as if there were flat spots. I think I need a new bearing, but I'm not sure in this is the cause of my high speed vibration. If not I guess I need to go to a one piece driveshaft, Dodge P/n 52123220AB

HemiRoy

Posted: 05-27-2009, 06:08 PM
State: FL
Post #8

My '03 did that. I spent many hours at the dealership and they finally gave up too. First acknowledging it and then denying a problem existed. Said it's a diesel. They vibrate. Not so. I could shut it off at 70mph and coast down to 65~ and it vibrated bad enough to rattle change in the ash tray. My '95, '98 and '01.5 didn't have the vibration. I still believe it was a defective pinion yoke. I put the rear axle on jack stands and idled the truck in drive while watching (very carefully) the drive shaft roll. There was enough run out at the rear of the shaft that I could see it. The '03 and '04 had the "dreaded driveline vibe" in about half the trucks to some degree. Some were said to be the front drive shaft angle but mine was 4X2. The Cummins Rams had it while the Hemi Rams seemed to not have it. Other than the engine, the Cummins used different yokes in the driveline. I think there was a bad batch in the mix and DC and AAM found it cheaper obviously to turn their backs than to replace them. Just my unproven conclusion and opinion about it.
Now I have a broken rubber in the carrier bearing at 107k miles in my '05 Hemi Ram and the vibration feels very similar. I've never warmed up to Dodge dropping Dana and going with AAM axles and drive shafts. Too many problems.
Web browsing on a MacBook

gpeace

Posted: 05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
G Peace
Post #9

I Believe there is a TSB for the 4x2 on the yoke for a vibration problem, but not for the 4x4. I'm still chasing mine. The wheel bearing did not work. However I have been driving the truck without the front driveshaft and I have no vibration, sweet. Had the driveshaft balance and checked, no problem found. Now if I can totally solve my problem. next thing to try is to pull the leveling kit out. I had one on my 98 truck with no problem. (this truck came with the kit installed). So to recap, as stock at 60 vibration, 65 big and up, delete front shaft no vibration, and with 11,000lb camper at 70, humm there might be a slight vibration(?). When did Dodge drop the Dana?
Closed Thread