8.0L v10 FI to carb swap - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge Ram Performance Talk

Closed Thread

aggieRam

8.0L v10 FI to carb swap - Posted: 11-04-2008, 03:11 PM
SRTs wanna b like me
City: Bryan, TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #1

does anyone know if it is possible to swap the late 90s FI to a carb injection? im tired of messin with computers and am goin to put this v10 in an old muscle car. i believe car before the 80s should have NO computers. any input would help. thank you
287 Enthusiast Club member #227
Blue Truck Club Member #146
mods:
engine - 08 intake manifold, 4.10 gear w/ LSD, flowtech headers, 3950 superchips cortex, custom built dual ram air intake, high flow magnaflow cat, 40" glasspack, tmr mod, Ignition Solutions Plasma Booster, dual jet stream scoops, 69mm TB, power wire
exterior - 1/3 drop, fiberglass cowl hood, 20" boyd coddington smoothie 2s, speed grille, window tint, rancho 5000 shocks, airlift bags in rear, SRT10 front bumper, aTm Edition graphics and badges, custom grille shell, blacked out LED tails, blacked out 3rd brake light, fiberglass roll pan, color matched mirrors and handles
interior - smoothed and painted interior panels, sony xplod head unit, 1000W insignia amp, 5.25 kickers, 6.5" kickers, 6x9 fosgates, handmade sub box, 15" audiobahn, interior neons in kickpanels and ac vents, vacuum/boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, voltmeter gauge, A/F ratio gauge, triple pillar pod, steering wheel column pod, molded 2 din with GPS, relocated A/C controls
Ride #2: 1965 Mustang GT

www.AIRRAM.com Discounted Performance Parts with FREE SHIPPING

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

d34

Posted: 11-04-2008, 04:39 PM
City: Sikeston
State: MO
Post #2

first it would require a different intake... the factory throttle body sits sidways not up... then u would have to come up with a way to fire the plugs... the v10 does not have a distributor its computer controled coil packs... i dont think it would be easy and i really dont know why anyone would want to do it...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Ciscodog

Posted: 11-04-2008, 04:43 PM
State: TN
Post #3

You'd have to fab a manifold, but that wouldn't be the hard part. I don't know if these things have a distributor hole in the back. You could go fab a crank trigger but that leaves the front mounted distributor which I don't think come in V10 configuration. I'm sure there is some sort of 10 cylinder spark distributor out there. Formula cars run V10s but they're all electronic. Maybe the early stuff had a mechanical distributor you could use? Check with MSD - they might have a cap that will work for you.

d34

Posted: 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Post #4

i dont know of any distributor hole and i would doubt the cam having a gear when its not needed...

aggieRam

Posted: 11-04-2008, 05:41 PM
SRTs wanna b like me
Post #5

well crap.... was there any mopar v10 made without FI?
mods:
engine - 08 intake manifold, 4.10 gear w/ LSD, flowtech headers, 3950 superchips cortex, custom built dual ram air intake, high flow magnaflow cat, 40" glasspack, tmr mod, Ignition Solutions Plasma Booster, dual jet stream scoops, 69mm TB, power wire
exterior - 1/3 drop, fiberglass cowl hood, 20" boyd coddington smoothie 2s, speed grille, window tint, rancho 5000 shocks, airlift bags in rear, SRT10 front bumper, aTm Edition graphics and badges, custom grille shell, blacked out LED tails, blacked out 3rd brake light, fiberglass roll pan, color matched mirrors and handles
interior - smoothed and painted interior panels, sony xplod head unit, 1000W insignia amp, 5.25 kickers, 6.5" kickers, 6x9 fosgates, handmade sub box, 15" audiobahn, interior neons in kickpanels and ac vents, vacuum/boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, voltmeter gauge, A/F ratio gauge, triple pillar pod, steering wheel column pod, molded 2 din with GPS, relocated A/C controls

d34

Posted: 11-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Post #6

not to my knowledge... came out in 94 injected...

aggieRam

Posted: 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM
SRTs wanna b like me
Post #7

ok well thanx guys. if i stick with the FI can i just have the computer running the fuel and distributing?
mods:

d34

Posted: 11-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Post #8

what year do u have as the donor? is it auto or manual? if it is a 96 or newer and is auto the computer may give out a code for not receiving info from the trans... it still should run correctly tho... u would also have to hook all the motor operating sensors up like the o2's, engine temp, crank position, and so on... best thing to do is get a complete truck or motor, wiring, computer, and all sensors needed...

aggieRam

Posted: 11-05-2008, 09:26 AM
SRTs wanna b like me
Post #9

not sure of the year, but i think im just gonna go with a big block v8 instead. the v10 would b awesome but i want no wire under my hood.
mods:

Pimpina5.9

Posted: 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Brian
City: Tool (DFW Area)
State: TX
Post #10

You can look through all this if you want its a really interesting thread. I havent read it in a long time but I think they used FI. Anyway check it out.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5512

1998 1500 ext. cab 360 Auto 2WD.

GOD SQUAD GROUP: 1988 - ETERNITY.

Mod list:

Flowmaster 40 dumped exhaust.
High flow Cat.
Mopar Performance PCM.
K&N FIPK.
Relocated IAT.
Fiberglass Rollpan.
Hard Tonneau Cover.
Carriage works Billet grille inserts.
Summit shorties.
OEM 20's off an 03.
MSD Blaster 2 Coil.
Taylor 8.2mm Wires.
Home made throttle body mod.
Modded intake manifold.
180* t-stat.
Map sensor vacuum mod thing..
Largest Autozone aux trans cooler.
Transo shift kit.
CPS Mod.
24lb 6 Hole pattern Injectors off a 97 Trans AM.

I FEAR NO BEER!

aggieRam

Posted: 11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
SRTs wanna b like me
Post #11

thanx. that was a semi helpful one. i read it b4 i started this thread. i got the idea of tri-quads but i still dont think theres a way around the electronic spark distribution
mods:

Pimpina5.9

Posted: 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Brian
City: Tool (DFW Area)
State: TX
Post #12

Ah cool, wasnt sure. Ya thats all I can come up with too. Dunno how you would change that.

1998 1500 ext. cab 360 Auto 2WD.

GOD SQUAD GROUP: 1988 - ETERNITY.

Mod list:

Flowmaster 40 dumped exhaust.
High flow Cat.
Mopar Performance PCM.
K&N FIPK.
Relocated IAT.
Fiberglass Rollpan.
Hard Tonneau Cover.
Carriage works Billet grille inserts.
Summit shorties.
OEM 20's off an 03.
MSD Blaster 2 Coil.
Taylor 8.2mm Wires.
Home made throttle body mod.
Modded intake manifold.
180* t-stat.
Map sensor vacuum mod thing..
Largest Autozone aux trans cooler.
Transo shift kit.
CPS Mod.
24lb 6 Hole pattern Injectors off a 97 Trans AM.

I FEAR NO BEER!

Ciscodog

Posted: 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
State: TN
Post #13

To get the spark distro right you'd have to go with a belt drive and a front mounted distributor with a custom cap and crank trigger. With normal caps that setup is around $1500. It can be done, but how bad do you want it? It's only money LOL

aggieRam

Posted: 11-11-2008, 10:02 PM
SRTs wanna b like me
Post #14

so theres a way to run a distributor off of the serpentine belt?
mods:

Closed Thread