How Do I Install Manual Locking Hubs - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - 4X4 Talk

Closed Thread

sel

How Do I Install Manual Locking Hubs - Posted: 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
City: saint john
State: NB
Post #1

how do i install manually locking hubs and what brand should i get...whats the difference between internal and external locking hubs
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dsertdog56

Posted: 08-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Mopar owner since 1977
City: Broken Arrow
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

I can't tell from your pic if you have a 1500 or larger, but EMS is the place to get them. Eric puts out an exceptional product.

I'm not sure what you meant by external/internal. The cad assembly on your front axle locks the two piece axle together internally.
The external locking hubs do just that. But you have to turn the handle to lock them to the axle internally. Technicaly speaking you can eliminate the two piece axle and the cad unit. EMS sells the axle as well.

Last edited by dsertdog56 : 08-12-2008 at 10:07 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

sel

Posted: 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Post #3

1500 is the size of mine...is it worth the conversion?

sel

Posted: 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Post #4

ahhhhhh.....im gonna buy them this fall...but is it really worth it to have them i never had manuals before

tkirk

Posted: 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
work in progress
City: ripley ohio
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

if you dont mind getting out to lock them in they are better in the long run less wear and tear on your spider gears in the front axle

sel

Posted: 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Post #6

really how often does one put it in 4wheel drive on the road...i might have done it 10 times last year...not too much to be too big of a pain i suppose

tkirk

Posted: 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM
work in progress
City: ripley ohio
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

the only pain is when your fender deep in a mud hole and realize you forgot to lock in the hubs not that this has ever happened to me or anything.....lol

sel

Posted: 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Post #8

ya i suppose that would be a pain in the ass...lol...im a while before i get into that anyway...i want a lift first and now im doing all the stuff i need to do before the lift...hubs, upgraded rockers, lower gears, pushbar...etc and then finish off with the lift so i dont wear anything out cause i didnt change this or that first...that and i got 80% new tires on it...like to wear them out first before buying new tires...just trying to figure out what size tires..33s or 35s...i want to still to be able to use my truck as a truck and not sure if 35s will be too big to be able to get 4wheeler in and out and move house hold stuff...what u think...never seen my truck with 35s on it

dsertdog56

Posted: 08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Mopar owner since 1977
City: Broken Arrow
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #9

Non Locking hubs give you the advantage of not turning your entire differential assembly while driving. It eliminates any parasitic drag from spider gears to front driveshaft. This benefit is even more useful if a locker were installed. They also put less side stress on your axles when turning, and give you 2wd low for certain towing situations.
It also eliminates the failure prone unibearing with bearings you can service and repack (provided you do that). And, it also eliminates the even more faliure prone CAD assembly (which replaced locking hubs)!
I believe this mod is useful with any tire over 33 inches, especially mudders. They tend to "squrim" or "push" in tight turns in 2 wd
I don't believe you'd notice a large mileage gain.

I had an 81 W-150 with lock outs. Yes its a pain to get out and twist them, but I used 2 low in many situations instead of 4 wd.

Last edited by dsertdog56 : 08-13-2008 at 09:15 PM.

lower

Posted: 08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
It smokes
City: Calumet, OK
State: OK
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

With a simple vac. pump you can have 2wd low even with the stock setup

2001 Dodge 2500 4X4
Edge Juice W/Attitude
5 Inch Straight Exhaust W/6 in tip
30 psi of boost
Southbend 13-1.25 Con OFE
36X12.50X16 Super Swamper Radials
Blue Truck Club #126

audiomechanic

Posted: 08-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I R SMRAT.
City: Katy
State: TX
Post #11

What about a Posi-lok?

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

I'm thinking bout doing that to my truck in the future to get rid of the vacuum actuated CAD. This will give you 2-low as well.

Can't Lay a Scratch Member #1!

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 5.9L

Bought at 93,000 miles. Repairs to date:
-Rebuilt tranny and installed aftermarket tranny cooler
-Fixed exhaust leak
-Replaced drivers side tie rod, Lukes Linked the rest (including trac bar)
-Replaced Both wheel bearing hubs
-Replaced front u-joints
-Replaced power steering pump
-Replaced passenger side brake hose
-Replaced upper ball joints
-Replaced ALL fluids front to back
-Installed Maxxis Buckshot 33X12.50's
-Rewired bootlegged stereo
-Tune-Up including Sea Foaming intake, gas, crank case
-Replaced brake pads
-Replaced front sway bar bushing with Energy Bushings
-Replaced shocks with Bilstein 5100's
-replace AIC
-replace TPS
-Relocated AIT Sensor to air hat
-Modded CPS bracket to advance timing about 4*
-Changed plugs over to Autolites
-Replaced water pump
-Replaced plenum gasket
-Modded kegger and TB
- replaced driver's side wheel bearing hub (again)

AT13

Posted: 08-14-2008, 11:28 PM
City: POINT PLEASANT
State: NJ
Post #12

its not worth the money on the second gen trucks for manual locking hubs if its not gonna be a wheeler and its just gonna be a driver. i put manual locking hubs on my old 85 dodge but the hubs only cost me $80 and i just flipped the CAD unit around so its allways locked. there nice but i miss the CAD because if you do go in a mud hole with the CAD all you gotta do is pull a lever and you got 4 wheel, rather then getting out and locking hubs in the mud.
-35" GOODYEAR ALL TERRAINS
-35" DUNLOP MUD TERRAINS

1985 DODGE W150 4X4
-HAD A 318 BUT I BLEW IT UP SO I PUT A 360 IN IT
-4 INCH ROUGH COUNTRY
-35" BAJA CLAWS
-REBUILT ENTIRE TRUCK

1995 JEEP WRANGLE
-BONE STOCK, DAILY BEATER
Closed Thread