Misfire Codes P0300 & P0302 - '03 4.7 liter - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

wilsemail

Misfire Codes P0300 & P0302 - '03 4.7 liter - Posted: 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
State: CA
Post #1

These codes were present along with the one for catalytic converter inefficiency. Coolant was missing, and pressure was building in the radiator. I figured 'head gasket' so I tore it down. When I got the heads off I noticed #2 had some aluminum corrosion that compromised the compression into the water jacket. I resurfaced both heads, and reassembled with new bolts and new gaskets. I returned the truck with new NGK Iridium plugs. Customer called back and said the engine light is on again. I checked it out and the burnt coolant seems to have cleared out of the cat and no more inefficiency there. But the random misfire and #2 misfire came back. Weird. The coolant is fine, and there's no pressure in the radiator. Do you think the codes somehow didn't clear even though I used a scan tool to clear them? Runs fine.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

krs

Posted: 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

I know you know your stuff but maybe this link will help?

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

Performance: 4.56 Gears, H/O Cams, 2008 Intake Manifold, 70mm TB, 4" Custom MIT Tube, Gibson SS Headers, ATI Pulley, SCT Tuned by FlyinRyan,2.5" Custom Y-Pipe With Magnaflow High Flow Cat and Muffler (12580) SI/DO Turn Down After Axel, Jeep Grand Cherokee TCM,

Suspension 4" CST Spindles, 1" Body Lift, 2" Lift Shackles, Doetsch Shocks

Others Srt-10 Pillar With Tranny Gauge, 16 Row Tranny Cooler, Color Matched Grill Shell
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

wilsemail

Posted: 10-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Post #3

I found out that the engine shakes occasionally and cylinder 2 still misfires occassionally, enough to kick on the engine light. Now, I know cylinder 2 had coolant leaking into it, and that big problem is solved, but the misfire is still there occasionally. I replaced the coil and the fuel injector and still shakes. What do you suppose it could be? Do you think the spark plugs are bad? Even though they're new. NGK Iridiums? Do you think they need too much energy to fire? Anyone?

roskoe115

Posted: 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
City: FORT WORTH/HALTOM CITY
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

Maybe a broke wire that is barely making contact on the coil pack? Or a wire further down the system.

02 RAM SPORT DIESEL
Edge juice hot, stage 4 nozzles, Suncoast converter & valve body, BD RAD, Industrial Injection Silver Bullet 66.

Kens03Ram

Posted: 10-29-2008, 10:16 PM
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #5

I agree with Roscoe in that it could possibly be a wire. But could easily be a bad plug as well. Could trouble shoot it by swapping plugs with #2 and #1 cylinders, clear the code and see if the code pops up on #1. As for the NGK Iridiums needing too much energy,, don't think thats the issue. I have ran those for over a year now with no problems.

*Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member # 5*

Semper FI

roskoe115

Posted: 10-29-2008, 10:18 PM
City: FORT WORTH/HALTOM CITY
Post #6

wouldn't take long for that test.

02 RAM SPORT DIESEL
Edge juice hot, stage 4 nozzles, Suncoast converter & valve body, BD RAD, Industrial Injection Silver Bullet 66.

04totowcj7

Posted: 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
State: IL
Post #7

im running ngks no issues in the 4.7, or the brothers dak or the sisters stang. when it comes time to pull the plugs again i will throw new ones in and call it good. ide swap the #2 plug with #1 and the coil pack with #3 move the two apart and see if either one does it.

Air ram power wire, Jet stream scoop
Home made cold air intake with k&n race filter

Kens03Ram

Posted: 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #8

What was the verdict?

*Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member # 5*

Semper FI

wilsemail

Posted: 11-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Post #9

I will see the truck this weekend. I will swap two of the spark plugs and wait again for the verdict. Even though they're new, I understand that they could have either been bad or I could have accidentally damaged them and not realized. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks!!
Closed Thread