A/C compressor turning on and off at idle? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

terrybpp

A/C compressor turning on and off at idle? - Posted: 07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Yesterday my A/C went hot at a stop light. When I started moving again it kicked back to cold. I got home and opened the hood, the A/C compressor was kicking on and off about every 60 secs.

A/C compressor relay or low on coolant?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rumble88

Posted: 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM
City: Classified
State: CA
Post #2

My '05 Dakota at work does that, too. Usually when accelerating from a traffic light it will turn off for about three seconds before going back on again. I sent it off to the garage for two days, and when I got it back they said it was fixed but refused to tell me what they did to it. Long story short, it still does it.

The truck is usually on with the AC on full blast for just about ten hours a day, so maybe I should be greatful that it works at all!

Hopefully only 8000 more miles before it is sent off to pasture.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

4xfreak

Posted: 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm Broke..
City: Carrier Mills
State: IL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

High pressure switch maybe..?

Name's Andy

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4 Sport
Hemi 5.7L

Debadged, Beltronics RX65, Magnaflow 12198/Resonaters Removed, 15% Tint, Pro Comp 2.5" Leveling Kit..

God Squad 2005 - Forever

Shane1

Posted: 07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
State: TX
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybpp View Post
Yesterday my A/C went hot at a stop light. When I started moving again it kicked back to cold. I got home and opened the hood, the A/C compressor was kicking on and off about every 60 secs.

Low coolant for sure. Top it off with a can of frion. If it stops you have your answer. All of my 03 and 04 trucks have done this.

06trxhemi

Posted: 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM
ASE approved
State: AZ
Post #5

do not do anything..... look at the condensor fan and see if it is spinning my guess is that it is not check the fuse for the fan and you will find your problem. if not then its the fan relay. the clutch on the A/C compressor is suposed to turn on and off. that is how it works. it compresses untill the high pressure switch shuts it off the it will wait untill the pressure drops then turn on again its an on going cycle. the reason it got hot was because there was no air moving over the condensor when you stopped. (IE the fan is not spinning) then once you started moving again the air flow cooled the condensor, and the air coming from the vent cooled.

BTW this has happened to several other members here as well. feel free to do a search you will find it.
follow along with the CNC Plasma cut parts on a 41 Plymouth rat rod build
(i have the capability to do the cutting)
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356638

Shane1

Posted: 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Check the Frion. All 03-04 trucks came .5 lbs low from the factory. The fan will not work right if the frion is low.

06trxhemi

Posted: 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
ASE approved
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
Check the Frion. All 03-04 trucks came .5 lbs low from the factory. The fan will not work right if the frion is low.
yeah sorry your right. check the stuff that will cost more $$$ first. a fuse and relay can be checked for free. a A/C system check, will require the purchase of a guage. all it takes is a quick swap of a relay and fuse to check them and does not even require the drive to the auto parts store to buy the guage to check the A/C system. and if all trucks were shipped low and that the fan will not work (witch are on 2 completely diffrent electrical circuits, with only the knob in the dash in common) why does my A/C system that has never been touched on my 04 work just fine? and alot of other 03-04 trucks work just fine. like i said do a search on DT before jumping to the expensive stuff like a dealer would.

Shane1

Posted: 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ramit1 View Post
yeah sorry your right. check the stuff that will cost more $$$ first. a fuse and relay can be checked for free. a A/C system check, will require the purchase of a guage. all it takes is a quick swap of a relay and fuse to check them and does not even require the drive to the auto parts store to buy the guage to check the A/C system. and if all trucks were shipped low and that the fan will not work (witch are on 2 completely diffrent electrical circuits, with only the knob in the dash in common) why does my A/C system that has never been touched on my 04 work just fine? and alot of other 03-04 trucks work just fine. like i said do a search on DT before jumping to the expensive stuff like a dealer would.
Sorry to get you worked up and I'm not looking to argue, but after repairing over 50 of these trucks 14 of them being my own with the same problem, I know nothing. The whole A/C system along with the electronics works off preassure. If the frion is low the fan WILL NOT work right. Yes you can check the relay and fuse but in my opinion its low frion, but I may be wrong. Its just a suggestion, not to cause a problem but to help someone. You can check the preassure with a $6.00 gauge from autozone.

Last edited by Shane1 : 07-29-2008 at 08:26 PM.

DeMoN-HeMi

Posted: 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
City: Houston
Post #9

Quote:

my truck did the same thing, it was doing the same thing, it was my fan, it was going out, it would turn but very slow, easy check, the stock fan you can hear if you get out of your truck with the truck running and the a/c on, i noticed that on many rams, but id start to by watching the fan, then i get a gauge and check the levels and relays and other stuff, ect. the fan was the last thing i checked, and was the culprit. . . so good luck to you if it is, it wasnt fun, to change it your supposed to discharge the a/c system, and remove the condenser, but i did it my way

2003 1500 HEMI QC -Slammed and Sprayed,
2014 Ram 1500 Black on Black Edition HEMI! - The hauler
2013 Charger - The Toy
1995 Camaro - The Project

"Dont Spread my Wealth, Spread my Work Ethic!"

"Debt is normal, be WEIRD" - Dave Ramsey

~> HOW TO - TINTING TAILS <~

~>IMPORTANT LED Replacement Bulb Info For 02-06 rams<~

wrenchin4alivin

Thumbs up A/C problem - Posted: 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
[[[[[[[Paul]]]]]]]
City: Ponchatoula
State: LA
Post #10

Quote:

As has been stated already, my money is on the condenser fan, especially if it's original. In the two years that our new shop has been open this is the only A/C problem I've seen with Rams. Also some will blow the fuse, some won't. My dad's 02 would run for a day or two before blowing the new fuse. My fan wasn't working when I bought the truck. Fuse was still good but fan motor had an open in the windings.

JeffB2002

Posted: 07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
State: OTHER
Post #11

Plus you should not just add freon to the system without a gauge. It is possible to overcharge the system. That is not good either. My guess is the fan since it got cold again when you started moving air over the condensor.

piper18

Posted: 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #12

Fan here too, that is the only difference between driving and stopped except for a lower RPM but you test that real quick by revving the engine while parked.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

06trxhemi

Posted: 07-30-2008, 12:33 AM
ASE approved
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper18 View Post
Fan here too, that is the only difference between driving and stopped except for a lower RPM but you test that real quick by revving the engine while parked.
not arguing just stating that the truck set up from the factory, reving the motor ill not do anything unless its a compressor problem, because the ram has a seprate fan for the condensor other than the one for the motor.

LPGHemi

Posted: 07-30-2008, 01:37 AM
LPG Hemi
City: North East England
Post #14

The AC fan motor is of the brush type and the old carbon brushes wear out over time.
The fan will either stop working altogether, or like mine, have no torque behind it whatsoever.
I removed the fan assy and reebuilt the motor and lapped in a new set of brushes.
2 hours labour plus a few dollars on brushes and I had a $400 repair completed.
My AC system acted exacly like yours. Warm when not moving and OK when driving due to no air being pulled across the condenser.
I also modified my condenser fan shroud so that in the winter, no puddles of water freez up and therefore freez solid the fan blades.
This does and WILL blow your AC fan fuse as the fan can't turn due to be frozen in.
I cut away the lower part of the fan shroud stopping the water build up.
Al.
K&N air & oil filters.
NGK Iridiums. Detroit TruTrac. TMR delete.
Procomp ES9000 with torsion bar tweak.
EBC slotted rotors with Yellow stuff pads and Cooper Zeon LTZ275/60/R20.
3" T304 stainless steel custom exhaust with high flow cat side exit near rear tire with DMH Electric cutout and T304 custom muffler.
Prinz LPG VSI sequential gaseous injection system
with 2x70 litre siamesed fuel tanks.

Exterior Mods
Siege Engineering Kong Mk2 Train horns 200 psi Viair 480C compressor & 3 gallon tank.
6000K HID Twiggy hi/lo + fogs.
White front and red rear LED license plate bolt Skulls.
Rear view colour camera with infra red, hooked up to an LCD rear view mirror doubling up as a 7" monitor
Tints 20's & Westins.
Raider Low Rider solid tonneau.
Xenon wheel arches.
Billet Aluminium Rapid hitch.
EZ lift tailgate torsion bar.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
Black coin holder ha ha ha.
DVD head unit.
2xRockford Fosgate Punch 12" subs.
2 Kenwood 6x9's & 2 5.25's.
2x9inch DVD screens built into custom headrests.
Full custom black leather interior with red piping & custom stitched red Ram logo into front seat backs .
Toad Thatcham cat 1 alarm

dmcelhannon

Posted: 07-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #15

Quote:

I've had two fans fail on me and each time it did just as you are describing.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years 41-Days and Counting! ~

piper18

Posted: 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #16

Yep thats what I was saying. while your parked the only difference is the air flow through the condenser and the speed of the compressor. My money is on the fan or a dirty condenser.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

dmcelhannon

Posted: 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #17

So has terrybpp updated DT what was found or not found with the this problem?

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years 41-Days and Counting! ~

terrybpp

Posted: 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Post #18

It hasn't done it again since that day. I'm sure it will come back, I'm guessing it the fan now.

hawks4x4ram

Posted: 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
City: Central IL
State: IL
Post #19

Once in a while you can find these fans on Ebay. I was in a head on collision and kicked up a lot of white rock along the side of the road that eventually wound up in the AC condenser fan shroud. After I got my truck back I drove it like this for about 2 months unknowingly until one day I smelled something burning. Sure enough it was my condenser fan. Bought a new one on Ebay for around 75.00, installed it and havent had a problem since.

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." Wooderson, Dazed and Confused
Closed Thread