4.7L idle surge - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

hawks4x4ram

Question 4.7L idle surge - Posted: 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
City: Central IL
State: IL
Post #1

Ok guys, 04 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7 auto 73K miles. Engine is completely stock. I have done some research on this and know of some people who have access to the factory service manual. Problem is when the truck is cold my idle surges anywhere from 500-1300rpm. When its warmed up its hit and miss, sometimes it will idle smooth at 600 other times its jumping around a little bit. Not a huge problem YET. I recently changed the spark plugs, air filter, pcv valve and Seafoamed the truck. I have tried resetting the TPS by doing the PCM reset and working the gas pedal. I have not cleaned the Throttle body yet. I have found that TPS sensors and IAC sensors are the normal culprits. Question is what is involved with changing them? Will I need to recalibrate the TPS once its installed? Will I need to reset the PCM for either one of these installs? This site is a wealth of knowledge and any help is greatly appreciated.

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." Wooderson, Dazed and Confused
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Conway

Posted: 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
CantDodgeitRamit
City: Vacaville
State: CA
Post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks4x4ram View Post
Ok guys, 04 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7 auto 73K miles. Engine is completely stock. I have done some research on this and know of some people who have access to the factory service manual. Problem is when the truck is cold my idle surges anywhere from 500-1300rpm. When its warmed up its hit and miss, sometimes it will idle smooth at 600 other times its jumping around a little bit. Not a huge problem YET. I recently changed the spark plugs, air filter, pcv valve and Seafoamed the truck. I have tried resetting the TPS by doing the PCM reset and working the gas pedal. I have not cleaned the Throttle body yet. I have found that TPS sensors and IAC sensors are the normal culprits. Question is what is involved with changing them? Will I need to recalibrate the TPS once its installed? Will I need to reset the PCM for either one of these installs? This site is a wealth of knowledge and any help is greatly appreciated.
Here's a question for you, does your RPM's jump around when you are driving down the freeway for no reason at all. Maybe only a few hundred RPM? This morning my truck was idling bad, going from 900 down to 400 and back and forth until I gave it a little gas, then it stopped and was smooth at about 650. I have been trying to figure out what could be the cause of this problem and I really don't want to have to take it to the dealership for something easy to do.

Military Truck Club# 52 03 Ram 1500 (SOLD)
15 Years USCG EMC/E-7
287 Enthusiast #235
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

moparmaniac440

Posted: 07-07-2008, 05:08 PM
City: Bradenton
State: FL
Post #3

My 4.7 jeep did this. believe it or not, but check your battery terminals. mine did that for a year until i finally saw the battery terminal was slightly lose. i guess when theres a bad connection it throws off the choke or the idle on these newer computerized engines.

Conway

Posted: 07-07-2008, 05:16 PM
CantDodgeitRamit
Post #4

Yeah I checked mine and it is tight, it is just frusturating not knowing what it could be.

15 Years USCG EMC/E-7
287 Enthusiast #235

sighless

Posted: 07-08-2008, 07:35 AM
City: Bowmanville
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

i had this on a chevy, and it was a vacuum line.
dunno if its relevant or not but could be worth checking out

2012 Crew Cab Sport -- 3.92 Anti-Spin -- 730N -- Leather -- Sunroof -- Back-up Cam -- Spray In -- Sport Hood -- 645RFE

Conway

Posted: 07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
CantDodgeitRamit
Post #6

So I think I have my problem fixed. Pretty sure of it. My problem was the throttle position sensor. There is no calibration after replacing it. It took me about 15 minutes to do it. Just disconnect the connector, take out the two bolts and it will come off. After you install the new one, manually open the throttle body to wide open to ensure there is no binding. There is a way to check to see if your TPS is causing the problem, I found this out yesterday. While the TPS is still bolted to the throttle body, try to move it or push on it. If you hear the engine change RPM at an idle, then your TPS is bad. I tried this before installing the new one, and I could hear it rev up a little. After I installed the new one and tried it again, it stayed the same. The strange thing about it is I bought the sensor at the dealership and it was cheaper there than at an auto parts store. Go figure. Ran me about a hundred bucks. Hope this will help you out. If not the is also a website you could try, I want to say it is called just ask and you can ask a tech that works with Dodge. It cost me about 15 bucks for the answer, but it still beats the 200 or higher it would have cost at the dealership for them to look at it and fix it.

15 Years USCG EMC/E-7
287 Enthusiast #235

hawks4x4ram

Posted: 07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Post #7

Good to know. I just picked up a new TPS sensor on my lunch break today and planned on replacing it tonight. Cost me $40 at Advance Auto. I will try the test with the old TPS and see if that happens. I'll keep yall posted.

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

hawks4x4ram

Posted: 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Post #8

Thanks to Conway and his TPS test!!! I tapped on the TPS and sure enough it started surging. Replaced it took it on a test drive still had a little bit of a surge but nothing like before. Got in the truck this morning started it up and just sat there and purred like a kitten. Once again thanks for all the help DT ROCKS!!!

Conway

Posted: 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
CantDodgeitRamit
Post #9

Good deal. Glad everything worked for you.

15 Years USCG EMC/E-7
287 Enthusiast #235
Closed Thread