Tranny stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear randomly - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

thrustidle74

Tranny stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear randomly - Posted: 07-03-2008, 07:36 AM
State: OTHER
Post #1

Hi,

I got a 2001 Durango SLT+.
Once in a while (once every 3 months) for a week long I have this problem.
I searched the database but I couldn't find an answer.
Here's the situation;
When I start the truck and drive in D everything is fine until I come to a complete stop.Then it gets stuck in 2nd or 3rd...If I pull over and stop the car and start again it's back to normal.
The dealer couldn't tell me anything cause this thing happens randomly.They offered me to start changing all the sensors one by one starting from the cheapest one until we find the faulty one which didn't make sense to me.
I had 2 fault codes before this problem which I wrote down but I can't find it now.As far as I remember one was Governor Pressure Sensor.
I apperaciate any suggessions.
By the way I live in Dubai,UAE which is basicaly a desert,can this be dirty(sand,dust etc) sensor, selonoid problem?

Thanx

Thrustidle74
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Neil F.

Posted: 07-03-2008, 08:37 AM
City: Marlton, NJ
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

The Governor pressor sensor and solenoid are internal to the trans. You have to drop the pan to get to them so no dust/dirt should not be the issue. It is not uncommon for thos parts to have issues. Do a search.
99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, MOPAR PCM, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

thrustidle74

Posted: 07-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Post #3

Thanks for that,

As you said dirt,sand and dust out of question then,
I found the codes that I wrote down, P1757,P1762,both related to governor pressure sensor and selonoid. But what I don't understand is after I erased the fault codes,they never appeared again although I'm still having the problem once in a while.
I think I'll go for the Governor Pressure sensor and selonoid first.
I'll be in Texas end of July,It should be cheaper than Middle East where I live.

Thanks

tactransman

Posted: 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Transmission Man!
City: Gerald, Mo.
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

blkdur98

Shifting problems - Posted: 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Post #5

I have a '98 D and a similar problem just started with the tranny. It will not downshift when coming to a stop and wants to pull out in 2nd or 3rd. It doesn't drop into passing gear either.

If I pull the shifter into L (1st) before stopping it will downshift...it's kinda operating in semi-auto mode. I got the check engine light about 2 days after the problem started...don't have any codes yet...don't know how to get. I plan to have a shop to a diagnostic, then repair myself.

I'll take any suggestions anyone has.

Tony V Durango

Posted: 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Post #6

I am no expert so take my thoughts for what they are worth. I have a 5.9 that had what I thought was a similar problem. The engine would randomly bog down when I braked and even stalled once or twice. Took it to a few different mechanics who gave me a few different solutions. The last mechanic I took it to said to change the Trans fluid. I did that and it solved the problem for about 12k miles. I now change Trans fluid every 12k miles or when/if it starts again.

thrustidle74

Posted: 08-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Post #7

Ok...I think I sorted it out...At least for the last 10 days it seems to behave.

I bought brand new vehicle speed sensor,governor pressure sensor,governor pressure solenoid and replaced all with the usual transmission fluid and filter.

At the end it costed me something around 300 USD in Middle East.

Thanks for all the replies that I got....

Cheers
Thrustidle74
Closed Thread