08 hemi oil pressure dropping - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

bigbadram1500

08 hemi oil pressure dropping - Posted: 06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
HEMI
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

What's up with my oil pressure dropping when coming to a stop and then going back up when accelerating? I just noticed this the other day and did some searching on here and found some older threads but was getting mixed messages as to if it was something to be concerned about or not. It's not a severe drop, I'm not getting codes or anything like that and the truck's running fine. It just struck me odd that it started doing this all of the sudden.

2008 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 QC SB HEMI in Sunburst Orange Pearl Coat - "The HEMI"

Mods: BFI, SC3815 (91 Tune, MDS disabled), Flowmaster 40 exhaust, Power Wire, 5k 55w RetroShop Projectors, 6k Fogs, LED Taillights, 34" Nitto Terra Grapplers, 2.5" Ready Lift Leveling Kit, BakFlip G2, BedRug, Wheel Well Liners, Bully Tailgate Lock, Husky Mud Flaps, OEM Tow Mirrors, SS Step Bars, Partially Debadged, Kicker 12" CVR in Custom Console, Kicker 400.1 amp

Orange Truck Club Member #1 click here to join / Lil Ram Ridin Shotgun Club Member #3 / DodgeTalk.com 345 Enthusiast Member #57

sig pic created by rye

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

piper18

Posted: 06-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #2

does it drop to about 1/8" below center when at idle and then go up to about 1/4" above center when at speed? if it does that's normal.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

bigbadram1500

Posted: 06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
HEMI
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Yep, pretty close. It will run about 1/4" past center at speed and when slowing down and coming to a stop it'll drop to about 1/4" below center. Is this something to do with the hemis? My 4.7 didn't do this.

2008 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 QC SB HEMI in Sunburst Orange Pearl Coat - "The HEMI"

Mods: BFI, SC3815 (91 Tune, MDS disabled), Flowmaster 40 exhaust, Power Wire, 5k 55w RetroShop Projectors, 6k Fogs, LED Taillights, 34" Nitto Terra Grapplers, 2.5" Ready Lift Leveling Kit, BakFlip G2, BedRug, Wheel Well Liners, Bully Tailgate Lock, Husky Mud Flaps, OEM Tow Mirrors, SS Step Bars, Partially Debadged, Kicker 12" CVR in Custom Console, Kicker 400.1 amp

Orange Truck Club Member #1 click here to join / Lil Ram Ridin Shotgun Club Member #3 / DodgeTalk.com 345 Enthusiast Member #57

sig pic created by rye

piper18

Posted: 06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #4

Most engines oil pressure will do it if they have a old fashion pressure gauge but with a lot of newer vehicles they design the pressure gauge to not do this for this reason, they thing something is wrong. Engines have a pressure regulator but it does not regulate the pressure to a certain pressure, it just limits its maximum limit.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

canada ram

Posted: 06-05-2008, 11:30 PM
City: sedgewick AB
Post #5

my 08 does it also acts like a mechanical gauge

keng1135

Posted: 06-05-2008, 11:54 PM
City: Orlando
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

yea i had an 05 ram never did that at all, just stayed in the middle, tradded that truck in an got an 08 ram and the first thing i notice was the oil pressure, but the vehicle was running fine so i just ignore it n

xpeetypx

Posted: 06-06-2008, 12:26 AM
City: Central valley Ca
Post #7

Just noticed my 06 does the same. Nothing to worry about I guess.

06trxhemi

Posted: 06-06-2008, 01:11 AM
ASE approved
State: AZ
Post #8

i would not worry about it. i personally feel that the guages (other than the spedometer) are noting more that advanced idiot lights. they just tell you that things are in an acceptable range. and only drop if the reading is too far off. (read that as 0 oil pressure it reads all the way at the bottom) now have they changed the guages since 04 its possable my stock oil pressure guage reads in the middle all the time. but the autometer guage i have reads 25PSI at idle 50psi part throttle cruizing and about 70PSI full throttle just befor it shifts.
follow along with the CNC Plasma cut parts on a 41 Plymouth rat rod build
(i have the capability to do the cutting)
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356638

MikeHTally

Posted: 06-06-2008, 05:55 AM
Got 2 Hemis
City: Tallahassee, FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

I've never seen one NOT do that. Oil pressure varies with engine speed. My C goes from ~28 psi at idle to ~53 psi at highway speed.

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

GrimReaper

Posted: 06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
City: Dallas
State: TX
Post #10

guys the mds motors oil gauges actually read the pressure. so it will flucuate wit the throttle accordingly. 03-05 hemis gauges are idiot lights. never moves. ill have to take my buddies 4.7 for a spin and see if its the same as well for the 03 4.7.

03 QCSB 2X4 HEMI SOLD

Closed Thread