Replacing Serpentine Belt on 1993 Dodge Caravan - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 06-01-2008, 03:23 PM
espressonurse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing Serpentine Belt on 1993 Dodge Caravan

I tried to find a "search" forum option to see if this subject has been covered. I'm not even sure this forum is the appropriate place for this question.

My husband is presently outside trying to install a new serpentine belt on our 1993 Dodge Caravan. The belt became frayed and started making a noise, and so we went to an auto parts store for a new belt. We were on a trip, but managed to get home, as the belt wasn't completly gone at that point.

We've been looking online to try to figure out how to get the old belt off and how to put on the new one. We've ready tons on this subject, which did help allot. What we never could find was a diagram that would show us where the belt tensioner is located.

Long story short, the old belt is now off and the new one is on. My husband had to take some other parts off of the car to get the belt on, because he couldn't figure out any other way. He has a buddy helping him and neither one could find a diagram or instructions anywhere.

My husband was wanting me to find help on line. At this point, once every thing is back together.....is there something we should know? Is the tensioner (wherever the silly thing is) going to need some sort of adjustment?

I'm going to send this off and come back to check for messages soon to see if y'all have any good advice.

Sandie - Missouri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2008, 05:19 PM
espressonurse

(Thread Starter)
Hi Again,

My husband is at a stand still again. I thought he had gotten the belt back on, but apparently he couldn't get the tensioner to budge and so he couldn't get the belt all the way on. He says that part of it is hanging off the tensioner slightly. I hope this is making sense, as it's all greek to me. :-(

I did finally find the search option on this forum and we've been reading everything we can on this subject. We've not found something that is dealing with a 1993 specifically. We'll keep reading and hopefully someone who knows about a 93 can see this post and come to our aid.

After reading more, he is going to go back out to try again to get that tensioner to release so he can get the belt on better. He did start the car up and the belt squeals now.

He has to work tomorrow and this is our only vehicle right now. Do you think it will hurt to drive the van with the belt like it is? He get's off early from work tomorrow so and he can try to get it to a mechanic if it's safe to drive until then. We were hoping to save some money by doing this ourself. If we can't drive it, we'll try to get a friend to come over tomorrow and help out and he can just take a day off of work.

Thanks in advance,

Sandie - Missouri
#3 Old 06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
RickMN

Sandie,

He should NOT drive the van with the belt part way on. It will destroy the belt.

You could make this a lot easier for us if you'd tell us what engine is in your van.

I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. My blog now has over 1000 in-depth repair articles, TSB's, and wiring diagrams: Rick's Blog
#4 Old 06-01-2008, 07:31 PM
espressonurse

(Thread Starter)
Sam here,

Thanks. It's a 3.3 liter engine. I finally figured out how the tension pulley worked and pushed the belt on. But when I run the car, the belt goes back to the edge of the pulley. It makes a whine or squeel sound as it runs.

Any advice would be appreciated.
#5 Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
RickMN

A whine or squeal means that the pulleys are either mis-aligned or one of the components it powers if offering resistance. Use a short piece of garden hose as a stethoscope and hold it near each component while it's running. That will narrow down the source of the squeal.

I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. My blog now has over 1000 in-depth repair articles, TSB's, and wiring diagrams: Rick's Blog
#6 Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
turbinemech

The belt may also be the wrong size. The belt should barely slide on the last pulley with the tensioner relaxed completely against the stop. I have had numerous problems with parts stores giving me the wrong belt.
#7 Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
espressonurse

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, I rechecked the size and the autoparts store said I had the right one.
I had the tension pulley replaced. It was crooked. The new one works good
but I still have a whine in the belt.
#8 Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 AM
turbinemech

Parts stores always go by the book and I have found the book is wrong, especially for Dodges. But hey it stopped squeaking. Some whine is normal. But if it is loud, you may have a bearing going out on one of the accessories. Try the hose idea that was early in this post.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.