DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck Throttle=bed totalled!!! Anyone experience stuck throttle?

13K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  dmcelhannon 
#1 ·
Aloha everybody...

Been a while since I posted a thread, but needed to share a friggin' bad day with y'all.

I just got to work, reversed into one of the 2 stalls I normally park in. There is a rock wall that runs the length of the parking lot behind me. As usual, after backing into the space, I apply the parking brake, put my foot on the brake and proceed to shift it into park. Here is where it gets all ****ed up.

It takes but a split second to shift from reverse to park, and mind you, I am on the brake, and the parking brake has already been applied. In that split second, as if my truck is possessed or something, the throttle just takes off. I mean, ****ing bury the needle kind take off. all four tires are screeching (AWD), and my truck just piles into the rock wall behind. I pop it into neutral, the engine wines for about 2 more seconds, then lets off. My bed is toasted! :VHOT:

I will post pics as soon as I develop the disposable camera I bought from work.

But anyways, anyone else experience a stuck throttle? I just glad that it was the wall behind me, and not someone else's car or someone. Imagine if I was stuck in traffic...I have already contacted Chrysler Corp and filed a report about the stuck throttle, and will push for assistance in the repairs. But how can I prove the stuck throttle? For the 4 years that I have owned my truck, I have never experienced something like that. And that was ****ing jolting! Truck just kept riding into the wall until I popped it into neutral. And I am sure if there was a recall, I would have been notified. This sucks! Can anyone relate?

See less See more
#5 ·
shoulda just kept putting it in park.. then it wouldn't have moved.. but i have NEVER heard of that happening. that is creepy as hell man. makes me worry hoping my truck doesn't decide to do that one day!

#7 ·
It's ok if you accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake. Old ladies do that all the time.... :)

#8 ·
I've had the throttle stick 2 times wide open at the track both times I threw it in neutral and shut the truck off. Also had to reach down and give the pedal a tug to get it to come up. I figured it was from slamming on it that it stuck. Never had it happen on the street. or when I wasn't wot. Seems weird.

#12 ·
Happened to me once, it was the floor mat wedged over the gas pedal. It's like WTF....$hit....thats a rush I'll pass on !

#14 ·
ultimate ram said:
Happened to me once, it was the floor mat wedged over the gas pedal. It's like WTF....$hit....thats a rush I'll pass on !

That happened to me in my 01 sport, and your righ, that is a rush i think anyone would pass on

#15 ·
this totally sucks i hope mine never does that. but just wondering if you have an automatic why would you be putting on the parking brake before the truck is in park. most of the time you put the truck in park then press the parking brake down

#16 ·
pyrokid said:
Can't relate, but if the computer did no file a code, then you will probably be to blame, which sucks. If it has never done it before, and there are no recalls, then I don't think you will be able to prove it was error on the truck.
That's what I am saying...I will probably take it back to the dealership today to have the throttle looked at.

shortbus said:
shoulda just kept putting it in park.. then it wouldn't have moved.. but i have NEVER heard of that happening. that is creepy as hell man. makes me worry hoping my truck doesn't decide to do that one day!

force of habit. I've had stuck throttle on other vehicles I have owned, and the first thing I always do is put it into neutral.

06QuadRam said:
You have AWD? I didn't know Rams had AWD..
Yep, my 04 is full time AWD. Thus the reason why I had to back down a bit on the torsion lift...too much front driveline vibration.

RubberFrog said:
It's ok if you accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake. Old ladies do that all the time....
I'm glad you are finding humor in the several thousand dollars worth of damage that has been incurred...BITE ME

sleblanc said:
this totally sucks i hope mine never does that. but just wondering if you have an automatic why would you be putting on the parking brake before the truck is in park. most of the time you put the truck in park then press the parking brake down
Another force of habit. I live on a hill, and I have the tendency to apply the parking brake before I put it into park.

spedley said:
I've had the throttle stick 2 times wide open at the track both times I threw it in neutral and shut the truck off. Also had to reach down and give the pedal a tug to get it to come up. I figured it was from slamming on it that it stuck. Never had it happen on the street. or when I wasn't wot. Seems weird.
Was there some resistance when it got stuck? I mean, was there some effort needed to pull the gas pedal up, or was it as smooth as just letting go of the gas?

In any case, my insurance will be taking a look at it today, I will probably go to the guy who did work on my truck a few years back, because he was able to perfectly match the paint code, and he did a excellent job in repairing my bed...the same side that is totaled!

#17 ·
That's messed up man...good luck with the repairs!

#18 ·
When mine got stuck it wasn't hard to pull up i just barely had to toutch it and it popped up. I did not pop up on its own though.

Also for the guy who said why the parking brake befor puttin it in park. It keeps the weight of the vehiclle on the parking brake not the parking paw. I have put several cars in park at work and had the parking paw not work so I now do the same thing.

#19 ·
X2 on the Parking Brake being applied before shifting into Park. I thought that's how we all did it.

#20 ·
First of all the throttle didn't "stick". If it stuck, it would have stuck wherever you had it. I doubt you backed up to a brick wall with the pedal mashed.

Throttles can stick, but just where you had it, it doesn't just rev on its own.

Between the parking brake AND the foot brake, even if the engine reved on its own, you should have held it no problem.

I told a story like that to a cop once when I got stopped for speeding in a 69 camaro, LOL!

#21 ·
Not sure what to say other than wow. If that happened to me, I'd have to replace the driver seat along with what ever was damaged to the bed of the truck.

#22 ·

#23 ·
kenihemi said:
First of all the throttle didn't "stick". If it stuck, it would have stuck wherever you had it. I doubt you backed up to a brick wall with the pedal mashed.

Throttles can stick, but just where you had it, it doesn't just rev on its own.

Between the parking brake AND the foot brake, even if the engine reved on its own, you should have held it no problem.

I told a story like that to a cop once when I got stopped for speeding in a 69 camaro, LOL!

Geez, I guess it must be a mechanical issue, then...~

There was maybe what, 5 or 6 inches between my bumper and the wall. Not enough time to react. To hold it, I would have had to been floorboarding the brake pedal and expect a sudden rev of the motor to react. I don't expect it, so I cannot react fast enough to keep it from going into the wall. Am I making any sense to you?

Stuck throttle or not, my truck is still wasted. The adjuster will be coming up by Friday to take a look and give the estimate. As it is right now, it is being listed on my policy as a chargeable loss. until I can get some answer from Chrysler Corp, I gotta pocket this ordeal. I know what happen, I was there . As I said, thank goodness it was just a wall, and not someone else's car, or someone...My truck can always be fixed.

The shitty part is that it happened and there is probably no way in hell I can prove this without having thrown a code. And I didn't. You don't think I know that? I just wanted to know if this is a rare occurrence, or more frequent. Because I would hate to find out that this is a frequent thing and no recall...

What happened, happened. Please don't insinuate that I am full of shit, because you weren't there. Thank you. :D

#24 ·
Ouch! Keep us updated on this ... :confused:

#25 ·
I'm not insinuating anything, I'm telling it like it looks from your explanation.

You said:

"It takes but a split second to shift from reverse to park, and mind you, I am on the brake, and the parking brake has already been applied. In that split second, as if my truck is possessed or something, the throttle just takes off. I mean, ****ing bury the needle kind take off. all four tires are screeching (AWD), and my truck just piles into the rock wall behind. I pop it into neutral, the engine wines for about 2 more seconds, then lets off. My bed is toasted!"

To apply enough power to get all 4 tires screeching and cause thousands of dollars in damage means that the throttle was slammed to the floorboard.

Are you sure you were on the foot brake and not the throttle?

Things like that happen and since it happened so fast, how can you be so sure.

These trucks have been around for years and that has never happened to anybody that turned out to be the truck's fault. Throttles being stuck does not apply here, its the truck just slamming the throttle all on its own.

I think you'll have to pay, maybe the insurance will cover some of it, but your payments will go way up.

Sorry to hear that.

#26 ·
When I go to move the shifter lever, I have a tendency to press the brake AS I'm shifting. I'd say about two or three times in my life (mostly when I was younger) I either accidentally hit the throttle or my foot slipped off the brake onto the throttle, and I got an occurance exactly like you described... fortunately I never hit anything.

The repetitive circuit safety design of throttle actuators makes it virtually impossible that the truck surged without the throttle pedal being depressed.

Oh, and I agree about setting the parking brake before shifting into park. Puts much less stress on the parking locking mechanism, especially when you are on an incline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.