DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifter tapping

4K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  4x4Hemi 
#1 ·
ok how about this one, i believe that one of my lifters is tapping, i can tell by the noise that the engine is putting off, what is a fix for this, and do i have any real worries from this problem. :rck:

#2 ·
Mine will also do it. No why to tell when or where. I've asked the question before and never got a post back. Most time it is for a few seconds, but twice it was so severe I loaded it on a trailer and took it to the dealer. The first time it stopped when I got it on the trailer. The second time it stopped when I backed it off. Who knows.

#4 ·
around 18000 thats all

#6 ·
Mine just turned 13000.

#7 ·
7 year 70 thousand miles drivetrain warranty. A guarantee given to the purchaser by a company stating that a product is reliable and free from known defects and that the seller will, without charge, repair or replace defective parts within a given time limit and under certain conditions.make them fix your truck

#8 ·
what does a lifter tap sound like. my truck makes a little bit of ticking noise but not too bad

#9 ·
been to the dealer 2 times on this matter and they tell me it is the trans pump and it is normal.I already wrote a letter to dodge and i have not got a reply back.It tis driving me nuts mine does it all the time and it is loud on the passenger side behind the front wheel.

#11 ·
My truck has done it from day one!!! Someone asked me one time if it was a deisel for crist sake!!! does'nt do any thing to the preformance though.I hate it.

#13 ·
no the 5.7 hemi, and this damn thing has gotten louder and i cant stand it i cant wait for them to make a decision on what there going to do with this thing.

#15 ·
It's not just the Hemi's that tick. My 3.9 ticks. It ticks
when it's cold, If it sits for a week, it knocks.
Drive it for a bit, it goes away. And that's with a
synthetic oil. Regular oil is worse when it comes to
the ticking.

Does anyone know if the Hemi's use the same roller
lifters that the magnums use? I'm wondering there's some
kind of hydro lock going on when the oil is cold or maybe
the oil passages are too small and it takes time to get
oil into the lifters.

#17 ·
Lifter tap is loud and metallic, and if it's really bad you'll see metal flakes in your oil. You'll really know if it's a collapsed lifter, though, because you'll lose oil pressure-it's the path of least resistance in the oil chain. The other things about lifter tap include: 1) it's mostly heard on dead cold startup-and mostly then only in cold weather; 2) it'll go away even on cold startup if you raise the rpm on the engine to drive the oil pressure up. Almost all V8's today use roller cams, so they have aggressive profiles for better fuel economy, longer durability (they have to be ground from billet), and more power from lower displacement engines. However, they're harder on drivetrain components. I've heard lifter tap from my hemi maybe twice, and both were on mornings that were below 10 degrees outside. It goes away significantly after 10 seconds, and it's totally gone by a minute. Remember that on a cold morning like that, 5W-30 oil is 5 weight oil-so it's really thin, and that makes lifters collapse more easily. Have you tried a synthetic 10W-30? Some synthetic 10W-30 oils flow at just as low of temps as 5W-30's do and the added viscosity may help keep your lifter up-
Just a thought=

Fitz

#18 ·
Guys, I also have a 2000 Intrepid R/T and I have had nothing but that infamous ticking sound at cold start-ups. I work for DCX in trades and every morning while everyone is getting into their cars to start them up, I at least, hear a truck, a minivan an Intrepid, 300m or whatever. The tick is there. It more common than you think, yet, I know it is very annoying. On my TREP sometimes the ticking takes minutes to go away, although it fades gradually. My 04 RAM, I have not heard it at start up yet but I can the injectors or maybe it is a lifter. To say the least its nothing abnormal and my Ram runs like it should.

#19 ·
You're right. After a few startups the tick went away and now
everything is right with the world.

It would be interesting to find out the why behind the tick.

#20 ·
I also had what I thought was a lifter tapping. I took it to one dealership and they said it was normal. Then I took it to another dealership after someone thought I had a diesel, and they found that the bolts where loose on the manifold going into the engine, this made since to me seeing that the noise was on the right side of the engine around the wheel wells. They tighten the bolts and the noise was gone.

#21 ·
Johnny_D said:
This has become a hot topic on some other sites, you are not alone with this problem!

Has Anyone Had Their Hemi Tick Fixed?

http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/forums/topic.ten?id=81456
I had mine fixed real good - got rid of it! Dodge knows there's are engine issues with Hemi's, but refuse to fix them till they blow - that came right from the service manager.

peace

#22 ·
how did you go about fixin it real good.

#24 ·
lol i see, im not going to do that but need to find another resolution to the problem

#25 ·
Many years ago, Fords' 2.3L had a oil starvation problem with
their cams and lifters. I rebuilt the one in my mom's Mustang
several times. At the time, she worked for Phelps Dodge and
talked to one of the engineers at Ford who gave me the fix:
resize the oil passages. Did it and no more problem.

My point is that there may be a oil starvation problem with the
magnum engines. The tick in mine goes away after a few minutes
of running. Goes away right away if I use the throttle. I know
that the 3.9 and the hemi aren't the same engine but they do share
many block and internal characteristics. It comes down to getting
oil to the lifters and the rollers. I suspect that the problem lies
in the rollers, not the upper lifter assembly simply because the
vacuum, ignition and air/fuel ratio are good when cold. It could be that the
lifters aren't getting to the bottom of their journals when cold:
once the metal of the block heats up the lifters slide more smoothly.
Just a few thousandths of an inch of gap between the metal parts
in this area will cause a click. Unless the cams are made from a
poor quality casting, there shouldn't be any long term problems
that I can think of. My engine has over 90k on it and it hasn't hurt
the perfomance of the vehicle.

#26 ·
my '04 hemi , now around 1400 miles , has had a slight tap since day one, kind of has a chirp to it like a belt would ,but if you pull the belt its still there . going to the dealer this friday for a door speaker that dont sound right,and I bet they b.s. about the tap as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.