how much R134a psi to put in A/C system - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Hust

how much R134a psi to put in A/C system - Posted: 05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Post #1

I am relplacing the compressor on my 03 1500. How much pressure should be on the high and low side when I put refrigerant in the system after I draw a vacuum. I have high and low side guages.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ShortBus

Posted: 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Large consumer of rice
City: Jacksonville, FL
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

just put in the recommended amout of r134a.. there is a sticker under the hood that tells u the correct amount. but low side should be around 30-40 psi and high side around 320-340 IIRC..

i tried looking on dealer connect and all it says is
Refrigerant Charge Capacity Refer to the A/C Underhood Specification Label located in the engine compartment. R134a refrigerant

what if its missing the label? smart job chrysler.. dumbasses.

DodgeVideos.com
Hawg Wild Truck Club

Exterior: Black Headlights w/ clear reflectors, DEPO LED tail lights, Custom Gator bed stripe, KC daylighters behind the grille, Black painted wheels. Painted misc. items in engine bay.

Performance: IAT resistor mod, TMR wire mod, Flowmaster 50 SI/DO (no tips), Air Raid air filter and heat shield (wouldn't call this a CAI.....).

Blue Truck Club Member #155
Regular Cab Truck Club Member #9
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

piper18

Posted: 05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #3

about 2 pounds is normal on most vehicals.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

darell_n

Posted: 05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Boost, you say!?
City: Cochrane, AB
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Weigh it in exactly, that's the only sure way. Ounces can make the difference between go and no-go. The high side will depend entirely on the ambient temperature and load on the system. 320-340 psi would blow sh*t up fast on the industrial stuff I work on, but vehicles are different (160 normal for me). In the 300s would be reasonable, but seriously, weigh it in for your own safety.

piper18

Posted: 05-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Great View
Post #5

I charged systems using those 1 pound can and would just throw a whole can in at a time, when it didn't cool good enough. you don't have to worry about over pressure since you have a high pressure cut off switch.

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Mopar rear wheel liners
9005 fog light bulbs

ShortBus

Posted: 05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Large consumer of rice
City: Jacksonville, FL
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper18
about 2 pounds is normal on most vehicals.
most dodges use less than 2 lbs. and overcharging it will NOT cool better, contrary to popular belief..

DodgeVideos.com
Hawg Wild Truck Club

Exterior: Black Headlights w/ clear reflectors, DEPO LED tail lights, Custom Gator bed stripe, KC daylighters behind the grille, Black painted wheels. Painted misc. items in engine bay.

Performance: IAT resistor mod, TMR wire mod, Flowmaster 50 SI/DO (no tips), Air Raid air filter and heat shield (wouldn't call this a CAI.....).

Blue Truck Club Member #155
Regular Cab Truck Club Member #9

piper18

Posted: 05-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Great View
Post #7

My 95 used 2 pounds on the head, my 08 uses 1 pound 11 Oz. The 95 I had in several times and they never could find the leak so I just kept recharging it with 1 pounders. On all vehicles there is a accumulator on the firewall which acts like a reservoir for the freon so as the freon quantity changes the A/C keeps working at the same level.

Mopar rear wheel liners
9005 fog light bulbs

darell_n

Posted: 05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Boost, you say!?
City: Cochrane, AB
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Technically, the accumulator is a safety device to stop liquid refrigerant from smashing the compressor (located on suction side of the system). The drier will stack with excess liquid.