how much R134a psi to put in A/C system - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Hust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
how much R134a psi to put in A/C system

I am relplacing the compressor on my 03 1500. How much pressure should be on the high and low side when I put refrigerant in the system after I draw a vacuum. I have high and low side guages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM
ShortBus
Large consumer of rice

just put in the recommended amout of r134a.. there is a sticker under the hood that tells u the correct amount. but low side should be around 30-40 psi and high side around 320-340 IIRC..

i tried looking on dealer connect and all it says is
Refrigerant Charge Capacity Refer to the A/C Underhood Specification Label located in the engine compartment. R134a refrigerant

what if its missing the label? smart job chrysler.. dumbasses.

Zack
2003 1500 Ram RCSB HEMI 4x2 Atlantic Blue

DodgeVideos.com
Hawg Wild Truck Club

Exterior: Black Headlights w/ clear reflectors, DEPO LED tail lights, Custom Gator bed stripe, KC daylighters behind the grille, Black painted wheels. Painted misc. items in engine bay.

Performance: IAT resistor mod, TMR wire mod, Flowmaster 50 SI/DO (no tips), Air Raid air filter and heat shield (wouldn't call this a CAI.....).

Blue Truck Club Member #155
Regular Cab Truck Club Member #9
#3 Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 PM
piper18
Great View

about 2 pounds is normal on most vehicals.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Regular Cab, Long Box, 3.55 LS rear end ,17" cast wheels, Flame Red

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs
#4 Old 05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
darell_n
Boost, you say!?

Weigh it in exactly, that's the only sure way. Ounces can make the difference between go and no-go. The high side will depend entirely on the ambient temperature and load on the system. 320-340 psi would blow sh*t up fast on the industrial stuff I work on, but vehicles are different (160 normal for me). In the 300s would be reasonable, but seriously, weigh it in for your own safety.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. (Pick 2)
#5 Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
piper18
Great View

I charged systems using those 1 pound can and would just throw a whole can in at a time, when it didn't cool good enough. you don't have to worry about over pressure since you have a high pressure cut off switch.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Regular Cab, Long Box, 3.55 LS rear end ,17" cast wheels, Flame Red

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Mopar rear wheel liners
9005 fog light bulbs
#6 Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 AM
ShortBus
Large consumer of rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper18
about 2 pounds is normal on most vehicals.
most dodges use less than 2 lbs. and overcharging it will NOT cool better, contrary to popular belief..

Zack
2003 1500 Ram RCSB HEMI 4x2 Atlantic Blue

DodgeVideos.com
Hawg Wild Truck Club

Exterior: Black Headlights w/ clear reflectors, DEPO LED tail lights, Custom Gator bed stripe, KC daylighters behind the grille, Black painted wheels. Painted misc. items in engine bay.

Performance: IAT resistor mod, TMR wire mod, Flowmaster 50 SI/DO (no tips), Air Raid air filter and heat shield (wouldn't call this a CAI.....).

Blue Truck Club Member #155
Regular Cab Truck Club Member #9
#7 Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 PM
piper18
Great View

My 95 used 2 pounds on the head, my 08 uses 1 pound 11 Oz. The 95 I had in several times and they never could find the leak so I just kept recharging it with 1 pounders. On all vehicles there is a accumulator on the firewall which acts like a reservoir for the freon so as the freon quantity changes the A/C keeps working at the same level.

Mopar rear wheel liners
9005 fog light bulbs
#8 Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 PM
darell_n
Boost, you say!?

Technically, the accumulator is a safety device to stop liquid refrigerant from smashing the compressor (located on suction side of the system). The drier will stack with excess liquid.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. (Pick 2)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.