Slim Jim...need help - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

bad munky

Slim Jim...need help - Posted: 04-27-2008, 10:43 PM
City: Pleasanton
State: TX
Post #1

Alright, long story short, I locked my one and only key in my truck. I have acquired a slim jim; is it even possible to use it on our rams?If so, where do I place it, and what should I be feeling for. Anyone with any experience with this? I understand if you don't want to post it pubicly... feel free to pm me with details.

Thanks in advance.

Turbo back straight pipe
Airaid C.A.I.
Painted Calipers
Ebc Greenstuff 6000 series brakes pads (greased the hell out of them, no noise yet ) Thank you Bob at moes
2 10" orion subs in down firing box, powered by sony 1000 watt amp.
Front doors replaced with wal-mart blue coned pioneers 6x9's, powered by mtx road thunder.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ChryslerTech

Posted: 04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
State: BC
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

If you can't get it open you can get the key code from a dealership and have them cut another key
'09 Quad Cab Monotone Laramie/Sport Conversion, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, ProComp 6 inch lift, RevTek 2 inch spacers, 3" Body Lift, 35x13.5x20, ProComp, 20x10 Rockstars, Predator, 4.56s -Traded in- ROTM Feb '11

'11 2500 Laramie, 8" BDS lift, 37x12.5x 20 BFG KM2s on 20" Eagle 079s, Predator, Bushwacker flares
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

bad munky

Posted: 04-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Post #3

From my understanding...that can be quite costly, I was trying to avoid that. However, when they open tomorrow, I will give them a call and see. Thank you

Turbo back straight pipe
Airaid C.A.I.
Painted Calipers
Ebc Greenstuff 6000 series brakes pads (greased the hell out of them, no noise yet ) Thank you Bob at moes
Front doors replaced with wal-mart blue coned pioneers 6x9's, powered by mtx road thunder.

ChryslerTech

Posted: 04-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad munky
From my understanding...that can be quite costly, I was trying to avoid that. However, when they open tomorrow, I will give them a call and see. Thank you
I'm not 100% sure but I THINK you can get the key cut onto a key without the FOB you wouldn't be able to drive the truck but you could use it for unlocking if this were to happen again. To have another key cut that has the FOB is expensive I think they're 200 bucks
'09 Quad Cab Monotone Laramie/Sport Conversion, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, ProComp 6 inch lift, RevTek 2 inch spacers, 3" Body Lift, 35x13.5x20, ProComp, 20x10 Rockstars, Predator, 4.56s -Traded in- ROTM Feb '11

'11 2500 Laramie, 8" BDS lift, 37x12.5x 20 BFG KM2s on 20" Eagle 079s, Predator, Bushwacker flares

bad munky

Posted: 04-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerTech
I'm not 100% sure but I THINK you can get the key cut onto a key without the FOB you wouldn't be able to drive the truck but you could use it for unlocking if this were to happen again. To have another key cut that has the FOB is expensive I think they're 200 bucks

That's insane... I will call in the morning and see if I can get just a regular key.

Turbo back straight pipe
Airaid C.A.I.
Painted Calipers

HEMI450HP

Posted: 04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #6

I could get into your truck in 2 minutes with a flathead screwdriver and a coat hanger

I have done this about 10 times on my own truck when I locked my keys in the truck...I dont have the option of having a key made because I dont have door handles.

bad munky

Posted: 04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Post #7

please pm with details...thanks matt

Turbo back straight pipe
Airaid C.A.I.
Painted Calipers

dmcelhannon

Posted: 04-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #8

I believe there was a Dallas TV News Station that did a program about breaking into Dodge truck. After they did the news story, it was posted on YouTube.

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Engine Failure ~ 660+-Days and Counting Thanks To A Dodge Pin-Head Engineer

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

Blackhemiquad

Posted: 04-28-2008, 12:43 AM
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
City: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Post #9

If you have the chrysler warranty, it covers road service. I had them come out to unlock mine once when I locked the keys in my truck with it stall running.
Iceburg Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
Color matched Arrow Matrix Canopy
Mopar Mud Flaps
Armaguard over rail spray in box liner
COIN HOLDER ASSOCIATION MEMBER #30 S.N.A.T.C.H.!!!
BLACK TRUCK MEMBER # 46

bad munky

Posted: 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Post #10

Ok...just got off the phone with the dealership. Said it'll cost $20 to cut a new door only key. That's not too bad, kinda sucks when you think about wal-mart, and how they only charge $3. Should've just had this done a long time ago.

You tube seems to have the answers for everything, unfortunately I roll oldskool with the dial-up. It would take like a week for a vid to load up.

I'm also going to ask about warranty.... just hit 36,000 though.

Thanks all

Turbo back straight pipe
Airaid C.A.I.
Painted Calipers

Hemi Dog

Posted: 04-28-2008, 09:40 AM
City: Huntington Beach, CA
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

If you're an Auto Club member they'll cut you a plastic "credit card" key for free. It's a key that looks like it is punched out of a credit card you can keep in your wallet. It's only good for opening the door but, hey, that's all you want it for anyway. It's saved my butt a few times. They do this for free for members because it's a lot cheaper then sending a tow or locksmith out when a member locks their key in their vehicle.

2004 Ram 1500 Quad Hemi - Airaid Cold Air Intake - Gibson single cat back - Monroe Reflex shocks all around - XM Radio - Custom Painted Dash Bezel - Viper A/C and Radio Knobs - 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler AT's on Crager soft 8's - Go Rhino Step Bars - Wide mouth black billet grill - Line-X'ed front & rear bumpers - Slammed One 2" Drop Shackles -

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
Arise - Kill - Eat ACTS 10:13

fmdog44

Posted: 04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
City: Houston, TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

I had a locksmith try to get my door open with a slim jim and he could not dop it.
Moe'sTraction Bars
Magnaflow Exhaust
Air Raid M.I.T. w/Stock Box
K&N Filter
Debagded
Leveled by Slammed1
20" Tiresw/Ultra 5 Spoke Mag Wheels
Rear & side windows etched "Hemi" W/ Ram Head etched in the rear window

"It's never too late to have a great childhood".

quietpeen

Posted: 04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
You've been Hijacked
State: PA
Post #13

$20 is not bad to have a spare door key.
05 Ram Daytona #08372 SLT QC 4x4 SOLD!!
Daytona Truck Club Member #19
Black Rim Club Member #2
Black Badge Club Member #3
Trucks and Bikes Club #(5)
Butch

mottorammatal02

Posted: 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
City: Terre Haute
State: IN
Post #14

when i last got locked out i GENTLY pulled back on the top of the door and slid a hanger down and it only took like 2 minutes, really easy
black dual halo projector headlights
orange wireloom under hood
altezza black taillights
sir michaels steel rollpan
pioneer headunit
interior orange accents
glove box stripe from MRK
orange painted calipers
2 12" sony xplode subs
20" moto metal 952's
dual CAI
-future mods-
orange and black wet okole seatcovers
2-4 drop from slammed one
suede headliner
triple a pillar pod
srt-10 front end and wing

*Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member #00*
BLACK TRUCK CLUB #55
**GOD SQUAD member since 1992-eternity**
Jhn 20:29
"Blessed are those who have not seen
and yet believe."

danh63

Posted: 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
City: Toledo
State: OH
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottorammatal02
when i last got locked out i GENTLY pulled back on the top of the door and slid a hanger down and it only took like 2 minutes, really easy

That is how it is done!

2005 CTD 6" BDS lift and Pro-Comp Extreme A/T 37's

bad munky

Posted: 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Post #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danh63
That is how it is done!

Lol... that didn't quite work out for me last night. The hanger, as soon as the door handle started lifting, would slide to the very end slipping off.

Had a door only key made today.... I'M BACK IN BUISNESS!!!

Also, talked to the parts guy, said that if I tried the key in the ignition, it would work, but only for a couple of seconds before it shut down. Then I would have to bring the truck in to be re-programmed. I always figured that the sentry chip just wouldn't allow the vehicle to start, not mess it all up...learn something new evey day.

Turbo back straight pipe
Airaid C.A.I.
Painted Calipers

spiritofdeath

Posted: 04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
V6 Driver
City: Houston
Post #17

on my 04 the only entry point is through the top corners i have to stand in the bed of my truck to hanger it.

Reg. Cab Truck Club Member #7
3.7L Powertech club Member #2
Black Truck Club Member # 130
Trucks & Guns Club Member # 51
Nekid truck club member #14

Fastman TB
AIRRAM power wire
K&N FIPK 2nd gen CAI
3" SI/SO Flowmaster 50 series Muffler
ASP 25% underdrive pulley
2/4 Slammed1 Drop

Mods yet to be installed
JBA shorty headers

Mods i want
Tuner/Programmer
High Flow Cats Dual Delta 50 flowmaster Muffler 3"
Detroit Tru Trac LSD 4.56 Gears

BIG BLK 5.7

Posted: 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
City: San Antonio
Post #18

I think its like after 4 trys without the sentry key do you need to take it in.
2006 Brilliant Black Pearl Dodge Ram~Color Matched Front End~Custom Knight Runner Headlights~HID Solutions 8k Heads/Fogs~Color Matched C.A.I.~Color Matched Bezel~WeatherTech Floormats~SRT-10 A-Pillar w/Trans Gauge~Pioneer Door Speakers~Bazooka Amp~Depth Charge Dual 10s~Color Matched Factory 20s~Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas~Rancho 5000 Shocks~Color Matched Mopar Gas Cover~Color Matched Mopar Tonneau~Color Matched EFX Roll Pan~Color Matched Shaved Tailgate~L.E.D Brake Light~Color Matched Differential Cover~Tinted Taillights~Magnaflow Side Swept Exhaust~Duplicolor Painted Calipers~Ceramic Brake Pads

BTC MEMBER#72

waynehays

Posted: 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Post #19

Plastic type strapping used for shipping boxes etc it can be found outback of almost any store in the dumpster you will need about 30" to 36" of it fold it in half creaseing it in the middle if you have time i put self stick sand paper 80 girt or so 2" folded in the crease for girp start by prying the door open slightly at the top i have a little wedge but any thing in a pinch will work such as an plastic ink pen screw driver etc. just enough to slide in the plastic strip into the door gide it down onto the lock knob and there you go pull it tight and up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p322.jpg (35.8 KB, 89 views)

bad munky

Posted: 04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Post #20

That's brilliant!! Actually a little too brilliant.

Mr. waynehays.... I believe your integrity just might be in question.

J/K... that is pretty cool though

Turbo back straight pipe
Airaid C.A.I.
Painted Calipers
Closed Thread