OBD code PO308 over and over.... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

97black1500ram

Angry OBD code PO308 over and over.... - Posted: 04-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Here's the rundown on the truck: 97 ram 1500, 4wd, 5.9liter, 100,000 miles.
I've owned this dodge for about six months. About two months ago, the check engine light came on and the 1st OBD scan ( and every other since) read
"PO308" cylinder 8 misfire. Here's what I've done: Plugs, plugwires, dist. cap.
rotor, Coil. I also read and followed the TSB on re-routing the plug wires.
Shortly after each procedure, the check engine light would come back and the
scanner would read PO308. The engine runs great, starts great, exhaust doesn't
smell. The only mods are a Volant Intake and pacesetter cat-back dual exhaust.

Any Help?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jmsteelers11

Posted: 04-17-2008, 09:24 AM
State: OH
Post #2

Did you follow the firing order correctly when you did the tune up
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

gramol

Posted: 04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
City: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Post #3

you could easily switch injector with one beside it, clear codes and drive it...........if the missfire is now number six(moved with the injector), you know it is bad.........replace it...............after that i would be doing compression and leak down tests..........another easy thing to do is take off valvr cover to check for broken valve spring ( another fairly common thing)
2000 dodge durango,5.9 L,4wd,cold air intake,clear corners,mechanic from canada(spend my days diagnosing and finding broken wires/bad modules),onboard laptop loaded with mitchell, alldata,autoenginuity among others

97black1500ram

Posted: 04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Post #4

thanks, I will try that next. Then I'm into compression testing and other far
scarier outcomes. i'll report back what I find.

dodgensince74

Posted: 05-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Post #5

So, what did you find? I am going thru the same thing with my number 2
Magnaflow S/i-D/o
K&N cai
Eagle alloy 102's
BFG LT285/75r16 A/T's

clava

Posted: 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Post #6

My Ram was giving the same code. I replaced the plug wires, plugs, etc. This didn't fix the problem. Finally, I removed the fuel injector from the engine. It was plugged with trash. I used carb cleaner and brake cleaner to clean the injector. Also cleaned out the injector hole. Put the injector back on, no more codes.

It's trouble, but it was the only fix. A Haynes manual is a big help.

Maybe this is your problem.

energy0uth

Posted: 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Post #7

yea I am having a engine light issue now....saying misfire and haven't addressed it yet but one day I added coolant and it reset the code just because I needed it. That code has a laundry list of issue it could be but the injectors sound like your best bet right now.

Iko

Posted: 08-01-2008, 02:27 PM
State: GA
Post #8

I had a P0308 as well and I was overdue for a tune up I used the MOPAR tune-up kit which was a cap, rotor, and a set of wires and I forgot how good the thing can run. It might take a few trips to clear the code from the PCM freeze frame but it is worth doing even if it doesn't fix the problem right off.
Closed Thread