Bad Thermostat? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM
BigWhiteD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bad Thermostat?

So over the last couple of days my water temp gauge has been going a little crazy. The gauge will show an increase in water temp and then it will plunge back down to normal. It continues to do this now all the time. The coolant level is fine, the fan is working, and no water leaking on to the ground.

Thinking about giving the thermostat a change and seeing if that fixes things.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Dan

1999 Durango 5.9 SLT 4x4
93,000 miles (March 2008)
Tow Package
3.55 Gears

Mods
  • Flowmaster 40 Series "Original" 3" SI/ 2.5" DO 3" Chrome Tips
  • AFE Magnum Force Intake w/ 7" Filter
  • 2" T/S Lift
  • 32x11.5 R 15 BFG All Terrain T/A KO
  • 15x8 Rock Crawler 97 Series
  • Smitybilt Black Nerf Bars (Weby Special Edition)
  • XM Roady XT

~DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #13~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Don Fox

BWD:

Those signs surely could indicate a T stat past its prime. If yours is OEM at 93k, I would change it just to eliminate the possibility. While you are at it, if your cooling system has not been flushed in the last 30-35k, I would do that also and put in fresh anti freeze.

Don

2004 SLT Hemi Durango AWD Flame Red
w/ 3.55 gears. New in the stable since 03/26/10.

05 Linen Gold Pearl Grand Caravan SXT
w/3.8L (hers) since 09/30/06
#3 Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 AM
livz

Hi, I had a similar problem myself. Bought a new thermostat and coolant. Before I could get around to doing the change I noticed a large temp drop and my heater was still plenty warm. So I got a new sending unit and that cured it. Lot easier job. Although I have the 4.7 myself I'm pretty sure it could be the same on yours. I will say that mine seemed to indicate a cooler temp than actual I do believe that is what affected my gas mileage until it was fixed since it sends info to the computer. If yours is showing a temp increase that could actually be the stat sticking. you definately don't want that.

03 Patriot Blue SXT
4.7 engine
Chrome Grill
Mobil 1
Smoke Weathertechs
Amsoil in axles and transfer case.
Drop in performance air filter
Flowmaster 50 SUV ( gone)
Magnaflow installed. Lots better inside !!
Heater hose shut off valve ( This works great )
Switched to NGK2262 plugs (checking mileage soon)
Scangauge II
#4 Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
marc85

ya, its is most likely the thermostat,i was having the same problem, the temp would show it going up but they engine was still running fine and after a couple of seconds it went right back down, i just replaced my last week
#5 Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Iwa2002

I would change the temp sensor first. A lot easier to do than t-stat..

2002 Dodge Durango 4.7L SLT 2WD
11600 Miles 5/10
#6 Old 04-10-2008, 09:47 PM
gramol

i'd plug my laptop in and go for a drive...............monitoring engine coolant temp.....probably graph it as well...........i'd look for it to climb to 203-207( i'm running a 205 thermostat way up here in canada) then i would notice it drop quite quickly down to 165-170 then slowly start to rise again..........up to 205 , drop to 175-180......that's a normal cycle for this time of year..............in the summer, it'll tend to stay closer to or above therm temp......

if you're getting really erratic numbers look for either no coolant on the sensor(a leak somewhere) or start looking electrically( sender, connections, wires,etc)

2000 dodge durango,5.9 L,4wd,cold air intake,clear corners,mechanic from canada(spend my days diagnosing and finding broken wires/bad modules),onboard laptop loaded with mitchell, alldata,autoenginuity among others
#7 Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
BigWhiteD

(Thread Starter)
Well we were right...it was the thermostat.........the water pump, all the hoses, and the radiator cap! Now it runs great and stays nice and cool. I put a 180 degree stat in.

1999 Durango 5.9 SLT 4x4
93,000 miles (March 2008)
Tow Package
3.55 Gears

Mods
  • Flowmaster 40 Series "Original" 3" SI/ 2.5" DO 3" Chrome Tips
  • AFE Magnum Force Intake w/ 7" Filter
  • 2" T/S Lift
  • 32x11.5 R 15 BFG All Terrain T/A KO
  • 15x8 Rock Crawler 97 Series
  • Smitybilt Black Nerf Bars (Weby Special Edition)
  • XM Roady XT

~DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #13~

#8 Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
coachholland
Backwoods Hillbilly

Temperature sensor is much less likely to fail though. It's likely sticking closed. If it were stuck open, you would have your engine go to normal operating temperature and then plummet while in motion.

2005 Durango Limited Hemi Bone Stock for Now.
Previously:
*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(5)*
1999 Durango SLT 4x4 5.2 V8 Light Driftwood Satin

Engine and Exhaust Mods
Mopar Performance PCM. 360 Air Intakez Power Shot w/ heat shield. DynoMax Super Turbo exhaust. Autolite Platinum 3923 Plugs. 180 T-Stat.
Interior Mods
EVS II Plus Security. Upgrade interior seating and door skins to leather. Replaced cassette w/ factory CD/Cassette then replaced w/ Pioneer DEH-45DH. Pioneer speakers. Powered MTX Thunderform. Dynamat Xtreme on all doors. APC White Face Gauge.
Exterior Mods
Front windows 20% tint. Ventshade window air deflectors. Blue Xenon headlights. Street Scene Grill Inserts. Diamond Cut Headlights and Corners. Altezza tails. Chrome grill. Chrome Bumper w/ stock valance. Polished Billet Locking Fuel Door. Mirrored Ram's head front license plate. Ram's head rear window sticker. Installed OEM fog lights. Polished stainless steel nerf bars. Chrome rear differential cover. Fender flares upgrade.
Wheels and Suspension
Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. Drilled and slotted performance brake rotors. Aluminum to alloy wheels upgrade.
To Do List:
Custom Striping (To be installed). Fastman TB. Mopar Performance M1 Intake. Anodized Engine Accents. Performance Headers. Chrome Wheels.
Replacement Maintenance and Repairs:
Rear speed sensor. Window motor. Greasable upper ball joints. Water pump. Goodyear Wranglers. Mopar plug wires.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.