2000 Dakota 4.7 Surging at cruising speeds - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 2nd Gen (97 - 04) Forums > 2G Dodge Dakota General Talk

Closed Thread

grayak

2000 Dakota 4.7 Surging at cruising speeds - Posted: 03-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Post #1

I have a 2000 dodge dakota with a 4.7 liter and the issue i have is when setting the cruise at 70 or holding the throttle steady around 70,it runs great but the tack will jump up and down 2-4 hundred rpm,not thousand rpm,and i hear the engine surging, this will also occur at different speeds not just 70 just as long as i hold the speed.Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this issue,or what i could do to fix this?? Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

heavy01

Posted: 03-30-2008, 09:01 PM
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #2

man my 00 quad cab is doing the same thing ,been trying to correct problem for a year now with no luck ,but when i changed the plugs the problem went away for about six months and just recently return
let me know if get anywhere with it
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Jmw132001

Posted: 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
City: Columbus
State: IN
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Welcome to dodgetalk.you need to do a full tune up on the vehicle. this is what mine done when the spark plugs were bad. get you some new spark plugs, plug wires and you should be good to go. also, moved this thread to the dakota forum

Beta tester for online games.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 qc sport 360 4x4
208,300 original miles (as of 9-25-10)
new transfer case, brakes, shocks, radiator, water pump(twice cause of faulty parts), front balls joints, trak bar, front u-joints, tires, heater core.

MosersRam

Posted: 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM
City: Bullscrick
State: PA
Post #4

Is that still a 46RE trans? If so, it's the torque converter not locking up right, or not staying locked up. Look in the drivetrain section, there are a few threads or post it there and tactransman or one of the other trans guys will help you sort it out. Mine does it too, I am putting in the Transgo OD Jr. shift kit and new solenoids sometime in April.

It is also sometimes the the throttle position sensor or the brake light switch. Post it over there and the guys who know better than me will help you out.

Coming soon JR shift kit

Pulling a 20 foot Forester pontoon boat all around the Raystown Country

sjonnie

Posted: 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayak
I have a 2000 dodge dakota with a 4.7 liter and the issue i have is when setting the cruise at 70 or holding the throttle steady around 70,it runs great but the tack will jump up and down 2-4 hundred rpm,not thousand rpm,and i hear the engine surging, this will also occur at different speeds not just 70 just as long as i hold the speed.Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this issue,or what i could do to fix this?? Thanks
These are the classic symptoms of a faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and is a very common problem on these trucks. Just search these forums and you'll find numerous similar reports. Luckily a new TPS is $35 part from RockAuto and installation is a snap, quite literally

Bowhunter88

Posted: 04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I Love Fat Chicks!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Funny I should read this today...

Sjonnie is right, its a faulty TPS sensor. Friday night I was doing 65 on a highway and thought my trans was slipping. Everytime I went over a bump the tach would jump up 200 rpms or so. The longer I went, the worse it got. When i parked it my Rpms jumped around while in park (although it hasnt done it since). Looked it up, and indeed these are classic symptoms of a bad TPS. Changed 'er out yesterday.

It is located ontop of the Throttle body and is the top sensor on the right while looking at the engine from the bumper. 2 Torx (sp?) screws hold it in. The computer will need to relearn the idle (at least mine did) for a few minutes.

I also had a slight stumble at idle, nothing big, but i could feel it. That is completely cured now!

ricbrk

Posted: 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Post #7

I had the same thing on 04 4.7. Dealer also changed tps and it went away. You'd think it would throw a code, but it doesn't

sjonnie

Posted: 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbrk
You'd think it would throw a code, but it doesn't
That doesn't make any sense, why would it show a code? The TPS is just a potentiometer and wear and corrosion causes the resistance to change in certain spots, but as long as remains within the expected parameter range the computer can't tell that it's malfunctioning.

grayak

Posted: 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Post #9

Thanks for all the great help guys!! much appreciated!i think ill put my fluke meter on my tps sensorand see whats going on.

Bowhunter88

Posted: 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I Love Fat Chicks!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Let us know how it goes man

bjones25

Posted: 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
State: TX
Post #11

I had surging a long while before it threw a code. You dont want to wait for it to throw a code, its not a pretty feeling. It will only throw a code when the TPS goes completly bad at that point your truck is almost undrivable because the transmisson doesnt know what gear to be in.
K&N Air Intake
TB Lift
32's All-Terrains
Flowmaster 40 turned down
Hella Off-Road lights
Black tool box
Kenwood deck hooked
up to 2 12's
Closed Thread