2000 Dakota 4.7 Surging at cruising speeds - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-30-2008, 01:44 PM
grayak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 Dakota 4.7 Surging at cruising speeds

I have a 2000 dodge dakota with a 4.7 liter and the issue i have is when setting the cruise at 70 or holding the throttle steady around 70,it runs great but the tack will jump up and down 2-4 hundred rpm,not thousand rpm,and i hear the engine surging, this will also occur at different speeds not just 70 just as long as i hold the speed.Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this issue,or what i could do to fix this?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 PM
heavy01

man my 00 quad cab is doing the same thing ,been trying to correct problem for a year now with no luck ,but when i changed the plugs the problem went away for about six months and just recently return
let me know if get anywhere with it
#3 Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Jmw132001

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to dodgetalk.you need to do a full tune up on the vehicle. this is what mine done when the spark plugs were bad. get you some new spark plugs, plug wires and you should be good to go. also, moved this thread to the dakota forum

Justin
Resigned July 19th 2011
COIN HOLDERS ASSOCIATION MEMBER # 88

Beta tester for online games.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 qc sport 360 4x4
208,300 original miles (as of 9-25-10)
new transfer case, brakes, shocks, radiator, water pump(twice cause of faulty parts), front balls joints, trak bar, front u-joints, tires, heater core.

#4 Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM
MosersRam

Is that still a 46RE trans? If so, it's the torque converter not locking up right, or not staying locked up. Look in the drivetrain section, there are a few threads or post it there and tactransman or one of the other trans guys will help you sort it out. Mine does it too, I am putting in the Transgo OD Jr. shift kit and new solenoids sometime in April.

It is also sometimes the the throttle position sensor or the brake light switch. Post it over there and the guys who know better than me will help you out.

1997 Ram 1500, 5.2L, auto, 2wd, 170K
Towing package plus second trans cooler, trans temp gauge
Felpro plenum gasket repair

Coming soon JR shift kit

Pulling a 20 foot Forester pontoon boat all around the Raystown Country
#5 Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
sjonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayak
I have a 2000 dodge dakota with a 4.7 liter and the issue i have is when setting the cruise at 70 or holding the throttle steady around 70,it runs great but the tack will jump up and down 2-4 hundred rpm,not thousand rpm,and i hear the engine surging, this will also occur at different speeds not just 70 just as long as i hold the speed.Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this issue,or what i could do to fix this?? Thanks
These are the classic symptoms of a faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and is a very common problem on these trucks. Just search these forums and you'll find numerous similar reports. Luckily a new TPS is $35 part from RockAuto and installation is a snap, quite literally
#6 Old 04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Bowhunter88
I Love Fat Chicks!

Funny I should read this today...

Sjonnie is right, its a faulty TPS sensor. Friday night I was doing 65 on a highway and thought my trans was slipping. Everytime I went over a bump the tach would jump up 200 rpms or so. The longer I went, the worse it got. When i parked it my Rpms jumped around while in park (although it hasnt done it since). Looked it up, and indeed these are classic symptoms of a bad TPS. Changed 'er out yesterday.

It is located ontop of the Throttle body and is the top sensor on the right while looking at the engine from the bumper. 2 Torx (sp?) screws hold it in. The computer will need to relearn the idle (at least mine did) for a few minutes.

I also had a slight stumble at idle, nothing big, but i could feel it. That is completely cured now!
#7 Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
ricbrk

I had the same thing on 04 4.7. Dealer also changed tps and it went away. You'd think it would throw a code, but it doesn't
#8 Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
sjonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbrk
You'd think it would throw a code, but it doesn't
That doesn't make any sense, why would it show a code? The TPS is just a potentiometer and wear and corrosion causes the resistance to change in certain spots, but as long as remains within the expected parameter range the computer can't tell that it's malfunctioning.
#9 Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
grayak

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the great help guys!! much appreciated!i think ill put my fluke meter on my tps sensorand see whats going on.
#10 Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Bowhunter88
I Love Fat Chicks!

Let us know how it goes man
#11 Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
bjones25

I had surging a long while before it threw a code. You dont want to wait for it to throw a code, its not a pretty feeling. It will only throw a code when the TPS goes completly bad at that point your truck is almost undrivable because the transmisson doesnt know what gear to be in.

xxx
2001 Dakota CC 4.7, 4x4
Superchips 3715
K&N Air Intake
TB Lift
32's All-Terrains
Flowmaster 40 turned down
Hella Off-Road lights
Black tool box
Kenwood deck hooked
up to 2 12's
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.