Flex-A-Lite electric Fan for the Cummins - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM Diesel Talk

Closed Thread

DodgeThis_AZ

Flex-A-Lite electric Fan for the Cummins - Posted: 03-28-2008, 02:40 AM
City: Scottsdale
State: AZ
Post #1

So I was flipping though one of the several diesel magazines I get every month in the mail, and an add for once caught my eye. It was an add for Flex-A-Lite fans. It seems they have created a system for our beloved Cummins. They didn’t have any thing for them the last time I looked at their site, just the DuraSlug.

Any one install one of these on their trucks? I’m interested to see how well they really perform in the real world. I personally don’t need it, but if it could help up fuel mileage it would be great. I’m sure the mechanical fan is a drag on the engine.

I don’t think one would ever see a noticeable difference while driving, but hey, every little bit helps.

2003-2008 Full Size Diesel Truck Fan

2006 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie SRW • Brilliant BLACK • SRT-10 RAM Air Hood • Red Painted Calipers
Banks Power BigHoss Kit • 4” Lift Kit • BFG A/T Tires • Custom Skid plates • Mopar iPod Adaptor
Upgraded 56g Fuel Tank • 115gal Aux. Fuel Tank • Custom Sliders • Slotted Brake Rotors
Warn 16.5ti Winch • Line-X Bed Liner • 18k Firth Wheel • Radar Detector
Buckstop Front & Rear metal Bumpers • Duel Antenna CB

I try to keep it at 2,000 RPM on the highway, but while merging, there is no point in trying to get great mileage if you are about to become a hood ornament for an 80,000 lb Freightliner coming at you.

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodgezilla

Posted: 03-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Dodgezilla
City: Northern Virginia
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Sounds like a great idea but Man I bet that's a lot of $$$. I hate the drag our fans make but they do work great......

Devil Dog

Posted: 03-28-2008, 05:07 AM
OOORAH!
City: Rockford
State: IL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

Looks like a good idea, also you can shut the fans down for a quicker warm-up in the winter months.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Project Dad

Posted: 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Mopar from Birth
City: Hollis, OK
State: OK
Post #4

Wow $550 on summit

2004 White Dakota 4.7 4WD Quad Cab

1991 Dakota 318---Hot Rod Project
8 3/4 from a 1967 Coronet, Hooker long tube headers, Holley 750cfm, B&M Truck Megashifter

Former Trucks
2001 5.9L QCab 1500 4X4, 4.10 Gears, FastMan O2 Sim, Fabtech 5.5" lift w/ rear springs, Superchips Tuner, 14" Round K&N Filter, 52mm Fastman TB, Skyjacker Transfer case Reindexing ring

DodgeThis_AZ

Posted: 03-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Post #5

Ya, I was assuming they were running about that price. Would take a long time in fuel saves to justify buying that. Maybe I can stop drinking soda for a year and buy one.

2006 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie SRW • Brilliant BLACK • SRT-10 RAM Air Hood • Red Painted Calipers
Banks Power BigHoss Kit • 4” Lift Kit • BFG A/T Tires • Custom Skid plates • Mopar iPod Adaptor
Upgraded 56g Fuel Tank • 115gal Aux. Fuel Tank • Custom Sliders • Slotted Brake Rotors

I try to keep it at 2,000 RPM on the highway, but while merging, there is no point in trying to get great mileage if you are about to become a hood ornament for an 80,000 lb Freightliner coming at you.

mkostersitz

Posted: 03-31-2008, 12:11 AM
City: Seibersdorf, Austria
View This User's Garage
Post #6

Not sure how these work but what does it do to your cooling when the electric motor fails? Because if the Visco Drive for the stock Fan fails it locks up and permanently drives the fan but if the electric motor fails for the E Fan what keeps the engine cool?

Just a thought
Single Rear Wheels
Linex Over the Rail bedliner
Raider Nomad II Canopy
5" Exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake
DDP High Flow Injectors and Fuelpump
TQ updated with Bullydog
Engine Start Button (SRT-10)
3 Gauge 'A' Pillar for Transmission temp, Boost and EGT
Stock Taillights rewired for Austria, Yellow Flashers in the bottom (instead of Backuplights, no red flashers etc.)
Seperate Backuplight and Foglamp under Bumper
Dual Halo Projector Head lights
Interior LEDs
Bed Slide installed
Replaced RB1 Nav with Truck PC
Towing mirrors with LED Flashers
Zune Dock integration
Headrest monitors
Xbox 360 for rear entertainment

DodgeThis_AZ

Posted: 03-31-2008, 02:36 AM
Post #7

What happens? The same thing that happens on front wheel drive cars. They overheat. LOL. That’s a good point. Even so, I’m willing to bet the fans have a very long life. Take the fans in my computer. I built a new computer about for years ago, with all new parts. Fans were at the top of my list, and theres five or so in there. Every thing else has changed but the fans in the case. So in four years, that’s over 35,000 hours these fans have been turning (I don’t shut down my computer). I’m sure these fans have more years to go. I’m willing to bet these fans are built to a much higer spec than the cheap “Made In China” fans I bought for my computer four years ago.

hivoltage

Posted: 03-31-2008, 09:37 AM
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Everything will eventually fail, I like the fans. Maybe they could come up with a warning light so you'de know instanly if they fail.
Don't Touch My Truck Club Member #49

rwood002

Posted: 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
motorcyclepickup
City: south daytona
State: FL
Post #9

your fan is only needed if you are going slow or in traffic. the rest of the time the free flow air going thru the radiator as you drive at speeds above 30mph or so is enought to cool the engine. that is why there is a clutch on the fan that lessons the drag on it after the rpms get high enought. the electric fan would only turn on when you were not moving fast enought to cold it with the free flow of air thru the radiator. they are controled by a thermostat that starts and stops them as needed for cooling.

roger/dodger

Posted: 04-02-2008, 11:50 PM
City: Tucson
Post #10

I thought I read somewhere that if you tow heavy the electric fans were not the hot ticket. Is this new set up recomended for towing heavy? Do they move the same amout of air as the stock fan?
06 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 Auto 3:73 Dually 4 in. cold air, TAG, Blue Cool Tube, Dodge Tail gate protector, Signature Spray Lining, Dipricol Optix Gauges, Chrome Nerf Bars, Aeroturbine Muffler, Superchips, 55 watt back up lights Go Rhino Nerf Bars Deep B&M trans pan, finned Ram diff cover, Timberens

DodgeThis_AZ

Posted: 04-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger/dodger
I thought I read somewhere that if you tow heavy the electric fans were not the hot ticket. Is this new set up recomended for towing heavy? Do they move the same amout of air as the stock fan?
Sadly no. They say if you tow over 18k CGVW not to use these fans. I don't normally tow that much, but it gets faily hot here in the summer, so I'm thinking these fans wouldn't work to tell in my case. Maybe for the every day person who drives to the office every day, and tows his what evers on the weekends.

Josh Brown

Posted: 04-04-2008, 04:37 AM
City: Shohomish
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

I think the gain in mpg would be small, i laove how they advertise recovering 27 hp. If all the bolt ons added as much power as they say we'd all have $1,000 hp rigs.

Farm Boy

Posted: 06-03-2008, 04:35 PM
City: Kansas flat lands
State: KS
Post #13

I saw another post here were a guy put electrics on his dads truck and clammed a 2-3 mpg increase. I am having trouble with my stock set up and was considering going electric, but they are a little high. I was wondering about just using two, or three of those autoparts store electrics. They are only $65.00 ea for 16" fans.

Mykdiver

Posted: 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Go big or stay home!
City: Silverdale, Wa
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkostersitz
Not sure how these work but what does it do to your cooling when the electric motor fails? Because if the Visco Drive for the stock Fan fails it locks up and permanently drives the fan but if the electric motor fails for the E Fan what keeps the engine cool?

Just a thought
You keep an eye on your gauges so you will notice if it is happening!

E-Fans also free up HP as well as MPG!

Mykdiver

Posted: 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Go big or stay home!
City: Silverdale, Wa
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Brown
I think the gain in mpg would be small, i laove how they advertise recovering 27 hp. If all the bolt ons added as much power as they say we'd all have $1,000 hp rigs.
Real world most guys I know have seen about 8-16 Dyno proven RWHP! Which is not bad.
Closed Thread