Water in oil??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

ivegotcows671

Exclamation Water in oil??? - Posted: 03-10-2008, 02:57 PM
City: Lebanon, Tn
State: TN
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I was changing my oil today and found a yellowish beigeish foam on the bottom of my oil cap. Im not sure exactly what it is but im thinking it is water in the oil. Which means it could be a head gasket leak. Please tell me im wrong....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil cap.jpg (153.8 KB, 13 views)

2003 4.7L QC RAM

SCT Tune by HEMIFEVER / Killians Ported and Polished Heads / HO Cams / JBA Ceramic Coated Headers / Motive 4.10 gears with lsd / Gibson Dual Extreme Exhaust / DMH electric cutout / Fastman 70mm Throttle body / Jet 180 Tstat / Ramhammer / Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster / Powerwire/Jetstream Scoop / Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge / Custom Powdercoated Srt10 wheels wrapped in 305-40-22 Nitto 420s / Sport Conversion / McGaughys 2/4 Deluxe Drop

Signature picture by BMRbrnSNRbrd

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

tarbaby

Posted: 03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Old F@rt
City: Tijeras, New Mexico
State: NM
Post #2

It's probably just condensation on the cap. Is it loosing coolant?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

tctwg

Posted: 03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
City: Fort Worth
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

The only time I've ever seen that much of the water in oil look is when the head gasket is bad
Military Truck Club Member #6
Dodgetalk.com 345 Enthusiast Member #41
Black Truck Club Member #131

"Off-Road" Package Club #35
HID Club Member #30
Twiggy HID Club Member #1

D2S Infiniti Bi-Xenon Projectors 6000k
D2S Projector Fog Lights 6000k
H3 KC Lights 6000k

SINGLE BEAM, DUAL BEAM, BI-XENON, BI-XENON4

ivegotcows671

Posted: 03-10-2008, 05:27 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

That is all there was though. There wasnt any in the oil that i drained. I might have lost very little coolant. That is water though?

2003 4.7L QC RAM

SCT Tune by HEMIFEVER / Killians Ported and Polished Heads / HO Cams / JBA Ceramic Coated Headers / Motive 4.10 gears with lsd / Gibson Dual Extreme Exhaust / DMH electric cutout / Fastman 70mm Throttle body / Jet 180 Tstat / Ramhammer / Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster / Powerwire/Jetstream Scoop / Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge / Custom Powdercoated Srt10 wheels wrapped in 305-40-22 Nitto 420s / Sport Conversion / McGaughys 2/4 Deluxe Drop

tarbaby

Posted: 03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Old F@rt
Post #5

Yes, it is water. If it's just on the cap, there is nothing to worry about. The Positive Crankcase Ventialtion system will cause that. I saw that on my 4.7 on the very first oil change. I will say this, the 4.7 is prone to sludge, so make sure you are using a good quality oil and changing it according to the maintenance schedule.

ivegotcows671

Posted: 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Thats good. Im using mobil 1 full synthetic. How often should i change it? I believe it is rated for 15000 miles but i changed it at 8000.

2003 4.7L QC RAM

tarbaby

Posted: 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Old F@rt
Post #7

8,000 should be good. I use Amsoil and change it at 12,000. Amsoil filter once in between. I have not had a problem.

Boyo336

Posted: 03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
City: In A Hole
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Also letting the engine completely warm up and run for a bit will help keep that from happening.
Gives the engine a chance to burn off the condensation before ya shut her down.

Proud Member of WCPW

-'04 SILVER RAM 1500 QC/SB HEMI

ivegotcows671

Posted: 03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo336
Also letting the engine completely warm up and run for a bit will help keep that from happening.
Gives the engine a chance to burn off the condensation before ya shut her down.
So are you saying that i need to let it warm up more or that i need to let it idle more before turning it off?

2003 4.7L QC RAM

JohnMcD348

Posted: 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Average Guy
City: Lakeland
Post #10

It's normal to have a small amount of condensation under the oil cap sometimes. Keep an eye on your coolant level and make sure there's no decreases in the levels. As long as the levels stay the same and the amount of foam doesn't increase you're OK.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

92 Dakota ClubCab 4x2(Stock)
92 Ford Bronco Custom(Stock pretty much for now)
08 1500 MegaCab 4x4 McDougald Limited Edition(SC3865 tuned, Airaid CAI, Reverse camera RECNav Display)

#152 Blue Truck Club
#61 Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club
MegaCab Club#152

The Mayor

Posted: 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
They call me Fred???
City: Ottawa
State: ON
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
It's normal to have a small amount of condensation under the oil cap sometimes. Keep an eye on your coolant level and make sure there's no decreases in the levels. As long as the levels stay the same and the amount of foam doesn't increase you're OK.

Ditto...my HEMI does this as well. I doesn't matter how long I've driven, whether or not the oil was changed recently, or even the type of oil I've use. I always have some condensation under the oil cap. It IS normal. Like 'tarbaby' said with today's positive crankcase ventilation systems moisture is normal. The system is always pulling fresh air into the crankcase, I believe to help prevent blowby. Just watch for any significant changes.
2003 Dodge Ram Laramie, 5.7 Litre HEMI, silver, FBSS Air Ride Technologies suspension, Custom 3" exhaust w/Magnaflow muffler, K&N filter, Street Scene rollpan, tinted tails and third brakelight, painted headlights, debadged with custom HEMI bed graphic, JVC AVX2, Clarion 7" flip, Stock wheels with 265/50R20 tires.

2007 Chrysler Aspen, black, Custom 3" Magnaflow Exhast, 275/55R20 Pirelli tires, tinted tail lights & 3rd brake.

2005 Dodge SX 2.0, silver, 2" Tein coils, custom exhaust, projector headlights, tinted tails & 3rd brake, flat black hood and trunk lid, Euro bumper lights, SRT rear bumper, 17" Core Racing 'Image' wheels and 215/40R17 tires.

DannyMK2

Posted: 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
City: Long Island
State: NY
Post #12

i always thought it was because of the filler tubes for the oil. on all my other cars, the oil fill cap was right on the valve cover. on this one, theres a filler tube. moisture gets trapped there when the motor runs, it doesnt burn off for me no matter how long it let it warm up or idle before i shut it down. its normal though.
2002 Ram 1500 QCSB 4.7L 4x4 - SOLD
Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member #108

piper18

Posted: 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotcows671
So are you saying that i need to let it warm up more or that i need to let it idle more before turning it off?
No, you don't want to do that. What generates the most condensation is short trips where the engine doesn't get up to temp. The hotter the engine, the quicker and more condensation burns off.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

MikeHTally

Posted: 03-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Got 2 Hemis
City: Tallahassee, FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

No need for "warm up". The engine just needs to get hot enough to turn that water into steam and then blow it out. My Hemi with 94K has no "chocolate milk" or sludge buildup on the cap or the filler tube. I suspect the P.O. did a lot of highway miles (86K in four years with some towing) and regular oil changes. The oil changes will continue, the heavy highway miles won't (no need).

Rich 2500

Posted: 03-11-2008, 10:53 AM
City: Chesapeake City
State: MD
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHTally
No need for "warm up". The engine just needs to get hot enough to turn that water into steam and then blow it out. My Hemi with 94K has no "chocolate milk" or sludge buildup on the cap or the filler tube. I suspect the P.O. did a lot of highway miles (86K in four years with some towing) and regular oil changes. The oil changes will continue, the heavy highway miles won't (no need).
That is very true, I've been kicking this problem around in my head for a while now. The highest my engine coolant Temp. has been is 208, the highest for my engine oil 165, and the Trans. max is 135. This is with at least a dozen 100 mile + runs with speeds between 65- 85 Mph. With all the extra coolers and large radiators we have on these trucks, I have my doubts if most of us ever get hot enough, for long enough, to burn the condensation out of any of the oils. Don't get me wrong running cool is the best way to preserve oils, but I think, unless you are working these trucks as hard they were built for, condensation is a very real problem with no easy solution. Even the exhaust, I've never seen a vehicle, blow as much condensation out of the tail pipe, as consistently as this 07. Does anyone know how the synthetic motor oils hold up to condensation, dumping regular oil every 3000 Mil. is one thing, but changing synthetics once a year could be a whole other ball of wax.

bufordtpisser

Posted: 03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
City: Brogue (in the boonies)
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

I drive 100 miles a day, use synthetics that I change every 5000 to 8000 miles, and I still get condensation. Condensation is caused by the heating and cooling cycles that our engines go through. Even if we get the engines hot enough to burn off the water, when we shut them down there will always be a temperature change. With that cooling process we get condensation. Because our engines are sealed, that water or steam if you will, collects in high places. The oil filler tube being the highest. That is normal in almost all modern emissions sealed systems. Some just see it more than others. As long as the oil in the engine is not of a milky consistency on the dip stick or when you change it, you will be just fine.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 RC LB 4X4 5 Speed Manual
Leather Interior
Westin Bull Bar
Westin Stainless Nerf Steps
XTANG Tonneau Cover
Jet Stream Scoop
Power Wire
Extension Wire
Relocated Temperature Sensor
Mobile One
Autolite DP's
Hella 500's behind the grill
Hella 700 FF's behind the grill
New SilverStar Ultras
Look Ma, I can see.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #17

I too believe its just condensation on the cap. Change the oil and check it every week for the next month or two. If you see it again, you may have a problem or you need to change the way you drive.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years 65-Days and Counting! ~

thecrapshoveler

Posted: 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't give a...........
State: OH
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

No need to worry. If you do a seach for "yellow crap in oil", it's a thread I started over a year ago because I have the same thing. I mainly get it in the winter months and not so much in the summer. It's normal.

You don't want to know what I'm driving now.....

07quad

Posted: 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM
City: Cornwall, Ontario
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #19

thats nothing to worry about. Up here in Canada we get them in, the 4.7's especially, and you actually have to scoop the yellow goo out of the oil fill tube before you can out oil in it. there is a revised pcv system that you can get from the dealer (p/n 05191104AA) that replaces the pcv valve with a crankcase ventilation valve in the back of the left head. the tsb# is 25-001-06, for the pcv system freezing.
levelled with Bilsteins
3" PA body lift
Magnaflow exhaust
Hella's behind the grille

Blue Truck Club member #136

1998 ram 1500 4x4
318 auto
hole in lf fender
38's jammed in stock tearing fenders apart as I turn
waiting to be lifted,dovetailed,shortened and beaten

" having an import that can run 11's...is kinda like coming out of the closet....your going to suprise a lot of people....but in the end your still gay"
Closed Thread