Factory Alarm Annoying my Neighbors - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

tpetray

Factory Alarm Annoying my Neighbors - Posted: 02-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Post #1

This started out to be a rare occurance, but now it happens almost every morning, and it is really anoying. I'm afraid my neighbors are going to get pissed.

When I unlock the doors with the FOB the horn beeps three times, very loudly mind you, which according to the manual, idicating that "the vehicle has been tampered with." The Alarm is not going off in the middle of the night, just the three beeps nearly everytime I unlock the doors. The vehicle has definately not been tampered with.

Anyone know a solution? Turning the alarm system off completely is fine by me as long as the keyless lock/unlock works, but I would prefer to keep it on if there is a fix to the problem.

Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MadMike05

Posted: 02-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Spending
City: Ny
State: NY
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

not sure about the electrical problem your having but for now you can NOT disable your alarm and open your truck with just the key
Exterior: *20% Tints *Halo + Projector Headlights *Third Brake Light Reading "SXT" *Twigy H.I.D. 10k headlights *Silverstar Ultra Fogs *Racing Guy's Matte Black Grill
Coming Soon: *LED Tails *Headers
DODGETALK.COM DURANGO CLUB MEMBER #62
Silver Truck Club Member #156
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

brad81987

Posted: 02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
City: Houghton
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike05
not sure about the electrical problem your having but for now you can NOT disable your alarm and open your truck with just the key
That has always been a pet peeve of mine- if the Japs can make there alarms disable when the vehicle is unlocked with the key, and unlock all the doors in the process, why the heck can't Dodge?!?! One of the key fobs for my dads 04 Durango got lost and the second transmitter refused to work for some reason. So we locked the doors from the inside when we got out, which arms the alarm, and had to unlock it with the key, which would then set off the alarm until you turned the key on. I finally got so fed up with it i pulled the horn relay until we got the transmitters fixed

-Brad-

2000 Durango SLT 4.7L 116,000 miles
Bilstein Shocks, Addco Sway Bars, Magnaflow Muffler
Drawtite Front Hitch and Custom Brush Guard
True HID Projector Headlights (Morimoto Mini's in Clear Headlights)
Hella Micro DE Projector Fogs with 3000k HID Kit

SCTrojans29

Posted: 02-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member
City: Southern California
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

i had something similar like this happen to me a couple of years ago.
it turned out that my fob had to be reprogrammed. i tried it myself with some online help and even changed the batteries...which didn't work...just made the fob completely useless. i took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed it for $45.
worked fine for about a month...then it happened again.
i bought a used one on ebay...explained to the dealer that it went out again. they programmed the new used one (WOW...no charge this time).
been working fine for two years now.

tpetray

Posted: 02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Post #5

After a little more research, I'm starting to think it the FOB too. I only have one so I ordered a new one. Hopefully if I program the new one with the one I have it will start acting normal. I guess if not, I'll have to suck it up and pay the dealer to reprogram. Lucky there are a million dealerships in Denver maybe someone will give me a break.

dizzyD

Posted: 02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #6

I thought in the owners manual, you have an option on programming the unlock horn chirp sounding or silent.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, hughes plenum rebuild, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 factory freak CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

Neil F.

Posted: 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
City: Marlton, NJ
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad81987
That has always been a pet peeve of mine- if the Japs can make there alarms disable when the vehicle is unlocked with the key, and unlock all the doors in the process, why the heck can't Dodge?!?! One of the key fobs for my dads 04 Durango got lost and the second transmitter refused to work for some reason. So we locked the doors from the inside when we got out, which arms the alarm, and had to unlock it with the key, which would then set off the alarm until you turned the key on. I finally got so fed up with it i pulled the horn relay until we got the transmitters fixed
I'm not sure if I follow Brad. Are you saying, if you manually lock the doors, which arms the alarm, you cannot open the door with the key without setting off the alarm? On my 99 I can arm the factory security system with either the fob or manually locking the doors and then disarm the alarm with the fob or the key. The alarm disarms as soon as I unlock the door with the key.
99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, MOPAR PCM, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ

tpetray

Posted: 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Yeah, It's not the horn chirp for arming or dis-arming. It is the three loud long honks that signal you that the alarm has gone off since that last time you armed it, when I dis-arm it with the FOB.

brad81987

Posted: 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F.
I'm not sure if I follow Brad. Are you saying, if you manually lock the doors, which arms the alarm, you cannot open the door with the key without setting off the alarm? On my 99 I can arm the factory security system with either the fob or manually locking the doors and then disarm the alarm with the fob or the key. The alarm disarms as soon as I unlock the door with the key.
Hmm, i thought that's what it should be doing, perhaps it had to do with the fact the key fob didn't appear to be working at all, since it wouldn't remotely unlock the door, maybe manually doing so the alarm still didn't recognize a valid key........

-Brad-

SCTrojans29

Posted: 02-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member
City: Southern California
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

dude...change the batteries first.
i had issues with my first FOB a few times.
the first time...changed the batteries, and that worked for a few months.
changing the batteries didn't work the second time around.
sometimes the horn wouldn't come on when i would arm it...but it would still lock it.
i thought it was an issue with the alarm...turned out to be the FOB.
try new batteries first.
that's the cheapest.

Last edited by SCTrojans29 : 02-13-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Neil F.

Posted: 02-14-2008, 05:20 AM
City: Marlton, NJ
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Brad,

The fob has nothing to do with the key being able to disarm the alarm. (there is no magic in the key) Unlocking the door via the key cylinder disarms the alarm.
99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, MOPAR PCM, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ

Rick99

Posted: 02-14-2008, 06:31 AM
City: NH
State: NH
Post #12

I don't think you said what year your Durango is, but it doesn't sound like this is related to your fob, so don't waste any money on that. If the fob is causing the doors to lock and unlock, then it is working fine. As stated above, there is a switch in the driver's door key cylinder that disarms the alarm when you use the key to open the door (or should anyway).

I would check some basics-- is your battery in good shape? Low battery power may start and allow the truck to run, but could cause funny electrical symptoms. Then, depending on the year, I would focus in on the CTM (Central Timer Module) or BCM (Body Control Module). Make sure it's getting good ground and power and that nothing seems amiss with its inputs-- it may have just failed and need replacement.

Hey Brad, haven't ya heard? The war's over. LOL
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

brad81987

Posted: 02-14-2008, 06:41 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F.
Brad,

The fob has nothing to do with the key being able to disarm the alarm. (there is no magic in the key) Unlocking the door via the key cylinder disarms the alarm.
Hmm, then there must have been something screwy with my dads 04 D. If you unlocked it with the key and then opened the door, it would set the alarm off and you'd have to put the key in the ignition and turn it on to disable it.

-Brad-

brad81987

Posted: 02-14-2008, 06:48 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick99

Hey Brad, haven't ya heard? The war's over. LOL
If that was towards my Jap comment, I wasn't trying to be derogatory. I'll probably be shunned for saying it on here, but when it comes to anything besides trucks, I'd take something German or Japanese over anything GM, Ford, or Chysler has any day.

-Brad-

Blue_Boy

Posted: 03-17-2008, 06:14 PM
City: Beckley, WV
State: WV
Post #15

I have a 98 D and my Fob was giving me a fit. it works fine now. Batteries go figure. anyway, I only have 1 fob and its on my set of keys. My ex girlfriend had a key but no fob. when she went to get my d one day, the alarm would not disable by the key, it wouldnt stay running and the horn and lights went nuts.. unplugging the battery, resetting the computer, nothing worked. so end result, i make sure i keep the fob at all times..

Lawdog00

Posted: 03-18-2008, 11:46 AM
City: West Toccoi, FL
Post #16

I had the exact same problem. After the dealer could not fix it, I finally resorted to pulling the horn fuse. The down side is I now have no functioning horn.

I'd love to hear if someone found an actual fix for this issue.
Closed Thread