Front inner axle seal- 2001 4x4 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Rogmatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front inner axle seal- 2001 4x4

while about to replace a front U-joint on passesnger side, noticed leaking from the axle on my son's 2001 Ram 4x4. Brother-in law said it was the inner axle seal. i picked one up today & as we speak they are trying to do it. Got the U-joint done, but they are having problems replacing the inner axle seal.
Anyone done this & have any thoughts?
thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Davcruz
I disgaree...:)

Are they removing it from the outside or from the CAD area? My understanding is it has to come out from the CAD area, not from the outside.

David
2001.5 - 2500 HD CTD 4x4 Sport SLT Quad Cab
Fabtech 5.5 Long Arm Performance lift
Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75-16's
AFE Stage II Intake
BD XMonitor pyro, trans, boost digital pillar gauge
Westach fuel pressure gauge
Edge Comp w/wire tap
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Airdog FP100 and big line kit
#3 Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
crazys182003

Had mine done at a shop and they removed both axle shafts and took apart my diff to replace the axle seals.
#4 Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 PM
nhlbill
Ram x2

You can replace it through the passenger side without having to take out the ring and pinion and carrier but you have to be creative.

-Take off the wheel/tire
-remove the caliper
-remove the rotor
-remove the hub assembly
-pull the axle shafts out of the passenger side
-pull off the CAD plate

From the knuckle opening on the passneger side, use a long rod, or put together a bunch of socket extensions, and feed them through the knuckle and into the axle tube. Make sure your extensions or rod is up against the seal and then just tap out the seal. It will fall into the CAD housing.

To get the new seal in:

-Take a 4ft peice of all thread and feed it through the knuckle and axle tube until it gets into the CAD housing.
-Slide the new seal over the all thread
-Slide a socket over the all thread that matches the diameter of the seal. (This socket will be what drives the new seal in place so make sure you pick out the perfect size for it.)
-slide a large washer over the all thread to butt up against the end of the socket
-thread a nut on the end of the all thread to hold the socket in place.

On the knuckle side of the all thread:
-Slide a large socket over the all thread
-Slide a large washer over the all thread
-Thread a nut onto the all thread

Then have someone line up the new seal in the axle housing and firmly hold the drive socket and end of the all thread in place. The person on the knuckle side can now begin to slide the large socket into the large washer in sort of a make shift slide hammer procedure.

Stop often and recheck your progress and make sure the seal is going in straight.

After you get the seal driven into place, take off the nut on the CAD end and pull the all thread back through the axle tube.

When you reinstall the axle shaft, be sure you feed it into the tube straight. If you dip it down into the tube, you can pick up some of the nasty debis that collects in the tube and if you get that caught in the seal, it can leak. Also if you don't feed the axle in straight, you can inadvertently bump into the seal you just installed and either totaly or partially dislodge it which again will cause a leak.

Here is a pic of the orientation the seal should be installed in:

Good luck with the whole thing, if you just take your time, you should be able to get it done in about 4-5 hours. Hope you get it fixed soon !

99 Ram Sport -318, 5spd,
JB Conversions NV231HD with SYE and CV rear driveshaft/7" SJ coils/RK long arms/RS9000XL/Thuren TB/1-Ton steering/ 3" PA Body Lift/38.5-14.50-17 Xtreme AT's/D60's/ARB's/5.13's/ EMS Off Road Hub Conversion/One peice passenger axle/chromolly's
Rockcrusher Covers/BDS Shackle flip/ U-Bolt flip/Zero Rates/Mopar Perf. Air Cleaner/ Mopar Perf. 7.5mm wires/Coverlay dash/Alien Patrol Bumper/Sony & Alpine system with single 12" behind seat
#5 Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Davcruz
I disgaree...:)

Great instructions Bill, and clever ideas also!

David
2001.5 - 2500 HD CTD 4x4 Sport SLT Quad Cab
Fabtech 5.5 Long Arm Performance lift
Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75-16's
AFE Stage II Intake
BD XMonitor pyro, trans, boost digital pillar gauge
Westach fuel pressure gauge
Edge Comp w/wire tap
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Airdog FP100 and big line kit
#6 Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
95RamDan

That exactly how I do it also. You only have to remove the diff when your doing the driver side seal.

95 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4
5" Tuff Country Lift
35" Hankook MT's
Mopar Performance PCM
Jacobs Pro Street Ignition
#7 Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 AM
mibro

Question D44 front axle seal same part both sides?

I have to replace the leaking driver side front axle seal on my 98 Ram 1500. I already have a Mopar front axle seal that I bought when I replaced the wheel bearing and u-joint on the passenger side. I ended up not using the axle seal when I did that job because the existing seal looked fine. My question is - are the front axle seals the same part for driver and passenger side? If so, I can use the seal that I bought for the passenger side on the driver side and save 20 bucks. Thanks!
#8 Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Red Sleeper
Blowin n' Goin

O, and be careful not to drag the axle shaft on the seal like nhbill said. I can now disassemble my entire front axle in prob 30 min.

Nick J
05 Cummins QCSB. TransGo Smarty H2O/CH4O
13 Jetta TDI 6spd auto
91 Cummins Dedicated water hauling vehicle
94 Z28 LT1 355ci 6spd Lots of Tubing
RockCrawling Dakota http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...90#post4512290
www.builtwithblood.com
Closed Thread