Hemi spark plug change - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM
quiller303

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hemi spark plug change

Hey guys,

I would like to change the plugs in my 2004 Ram w/ Hemi after the dealer quoted me a $250 price. I've change plugs in many other vehicles, but am not sure if there are any access issues or things unique to this engine. I would also appreciate any recommendations on the plugs themselves with an eye towards performance. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Newbeme

Here's a how to article that's on this site. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93658
I haven't changed the plugs on my Ram yet, but it doesn't sound too complicated, just time consuming.

Atlantic Blue '03 Ram QC 1500 4x4
*5.7 Hemi & auto trans.
*K&N air filter
*Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors (275/60R 20)
*Spray-in bed liner
#3 Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 AM
dale3fan3

There are a couple plugs tough to get at in the back but take your time and you will be fine. We were able to torque all mine to the proper spec without any issues as well.
#4 Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
piper18
Great View

if your a small thin person it helps but if you have fat fingers it will be a worse. expect some knuckle rash since gloves get in the way.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Regular Cab, Long Box, 3.55 LS rear end ,17" cast wheels, Flame Red

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs
#5 Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 PM
DELTARAM
DELTARAM

pull fener well

HI
I changed plugs a couple of months ago and read on this forum to:
Jack up the left front of the truck and put a jack stand under for safety.
Remove the left front wheel
Remove the inner fender well = 10 minute job. there are a couple of wires clipped onto it.
After removal fasten wires elseware.
lean in and change the plugs they are now easy to get at and no more broken back problems cuz you are sitting down.
Don't forget that the air cleaner box on the right side lifts out of the way and makes the job on the right side easier.
When putting in the new plugs don't let them fall down as it can close the gap! I use a short length of rubber tubing pushed onto the plug to lower it and start threading.
Good luck and hope this helps.
don't forget the never seize and special grease.
Ron

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie / Atlantic Blue / Hemi / 4x4 / 20's / True Flow / 4:56 gears / Tailgate Lock / Air Bags /
#6 Old 12-22-2007, 02:35 PM
quiller303

(Thread Starter)
Hemi spark plug wires

Thanks for all the info! My next concern are the plug wires. I've seen some advertised with 0 resistance and claiming a performance boost. As they are pricey, I am a little skeptical. I've got about 33,000 miles on my truck. I am wondering what's out there and what works.
#7 Old 12-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Blackbirdrider

Bosch Yttrium +2. They work great, and add a mild bit of performance. Also do not require gapping. Mine idled very smooth with the upgrade. I just changed them. Have fun!
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185356

'07 1500 4x4 SLT
Leveling kit
Terra Grapplers
Alpine subs
#8 Old 12-22-2007, 06:12 PM
jrsick

I love my MSD plug wires. They are bigger than stock though so they won't fit in the OEM plug wire tracks. I took the track out and organized the wires with cable ties. If you just set the wires on top of the OEM track then you won't be able to get the hemi hat back on. Great wires though, noticeable difference in idle and off the line acceleration. Watch out for the racing wires, they will interfere with your radio reception.
#9 Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Hemi2500

I just changed mine today at the 59K mileage mark. It took me about 3 hours to do the job and that included pulling drivers front tire and wheel liner (the best way to get the back 4 plugs). I checked the gap of the NGK plugs I pulled out that I put in at 25K and it was at .055. That's .010 increase in gap. Hoping my gas mileage improves some. I ended up going back to the stock Champion copper plug. From what I've seen and a lot of the comments from others, there is no significant advantage in anything but the stock plug.

I still need to change the plug wires. I'm thinking about getting 8mm Taylor.

2004 Ram 2500 4X4 QC SB 5.7L Hemi Flame Red
Superchips 3815 Flashpaq Tuner
AAM 4.56 Gears TRAC-RITE Anti-spin; MAG-HYTEC Rear Differential Cover
Nitto Terra Grappler AT LT285/70R17
Trueflow CAI; JBA Shorty Headers; Magnaflow #12578 3" In/ 3" Out
Mopar Tonneau Cover & Nurf Bars

2011 Avenger LUX 3.6L Brilliant Black
Red Leather Interior
#10 Old 12-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Jake1050

Correct me if Im wrong but besides having half as many plugs the 4.7 is much easier isn't it?

Electric Blue
SXT
4X4
QC
#11 Old 12-23-2007, 05:53 AM
dale3fan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi2500
I just changed mine today at the 59K mileage mark. It took me about 3 hours to do the job and that included pulling drivers front tire and wheel liner (the best way to get the back 4 plugs). I checked the gap of the NGK plugs I pulled out that I put in at 25K and it was at .055. That's .010 increase in gap. Hoping my gas mileage improves some. I ended up going back to the stock Champion copper plug. From what I've seen and a lot of the comments from others, there is no significant advantage in anything but the stock plug.

I still need to change the plug wires. I'm thinking about getting 8mm Taylor.
Get shorties and dont look back. the 8.2 mm will be jusyt fine the heavier 10.??? is stiff and guys had them pop off alot. You can order them from henson motorsports from Art and I thin Bob at Moes sells them too.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.