Hemi spark plug change - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

quiller303

Hemi spark plug change - Posted: 12-22-2007, 08:11 AM
City: Philadelphia
Post #1

Hey guys,

I would like to change the plugs in my 2004 Ram w/ Hemi after the dealer quoted me a $250 price. I've change plugs in many other vehicles, but am not sure if there are any access issues or things unique to this engine. I would also appreciate any recommendations on the plugs themselves with an eye towards performance. Thanks.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Newbeme

Posted: 12-22-2007, 08:21 AM
State: IA
Post #2

Here's a how to article that's on this site. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93658
I haven't changed the plugs on my Ram yet, but it doesn't sound too complicated, just time consuming.
*Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors (275/60R 20)
*Spray-in bed liner
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

dale3fan3

Posted: 12-22-2007, 09:32 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

There are a couple plugs tough to get at in the back but take your time and you will be fine. We were able to torque all mine to the proper spec without any issues as well.

piper18

Posted: 12-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #4

if your a small thin person it helps but if you have fat fingers it will be a worse. expect some knuckle rash since gloves get in the way.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

DELTARAM

pull fener well - Posted: 12-22-2007, 12:05 PM
DELTARAM
City: Delta, B.C.
State: BC
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

HI
I changed plugs a couple of months ago and read on this forum to:
Jack up the left front of the truck and put a jack stand under for safety.
Remove the left front wheel
Remove the inner fender well = 10 minute job. there are a couple of wires clipped onto it.
After removal fasten wires elseware.
lean in and change the plugs they are now easy to get at and no more broken back problems cuz you are sitting down.
Don't forget that the air cleaner box on the right side lifts out of the way and makes the job on the right side easier.
When putting in the new plugs don't let them fall down as it can close the gap! I use a short length of rubber tubing pushed onto the plug to lower it and start threading.
Good luck and hope this helps.
don't forget the never seize and special grease.
Ron
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie / Atlantic Blue / Hemi / 4x4 / 20's / True Flow / 4:56 gears / Tailgate Lock / Air Bags /

quiller303

Hemi spark plug wires - Posted: 12-22-2007, 01:35 PM
City: Philadelphia
Post #6

Thanks for all the info! My next concern are the plug wires. I've seen some advertised with 0 resistance and claiming a performance boost. As they are pricey, I am a little skeptical. I've got about 33,000 miles on my truck. I am wondering what's out there and what works.

Blackbirdrider

Posted: 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM
City: Jacksonville, FL
Post #7

Bosch Yttrium +2. They work great, and add a mild bit of performance. Also do not require gapping. Mine idled very smooth with the upgrade. I just changed them. Have fun!
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185356
Alpine subs

jrsick

Posted: 12-22-2007, 05:12 PM
City: Chesapeake, VA
Post #8

I love my MSD plug wires. They are bigger than stock though so they won't fit in the OEM plug wire tracks. I took the track out and organized the wires with cable ties. If you just set the wires on top of the OEM track then you won't be able to get the hemi hat back on. Great wires though, noticeable difference in idle and off the line acceleration. Watch out for the racing wires, they will interfere with your radio reception.

Hemi2500

Posted: 12-22-2007, 08:43 PM
City: White Lake
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

I just changed mine today at the 59K mileage mark. It took me about 3 hours to do the job and that included pulling drivers front tire and wheel liner (the best way to get the back 4 plugs). I checked the gap of the NGK plugs I pulled out that I put in at 25K and it was at .055. That's .010 increase in gap. Hoping my gas mileage improves some. I ended up going back to the stock Champion copper plug. From what I've seen and a lot of the comments from others, there is no significant advantage in anything but the stock plug.

I still need to change the plug wires. I'm thinking about getting 8mm Taylor.
Nitto Terra Grappler AT LT285/70R17
Trueflow CAI; JBA Shorty Headers; Magnaflow #12578 3" In/ 3" Out
Mopar Tonneau Cover & Nurf Bars

2011 Avenger LUX 3.6L Brilliant Black
Red Leather Interior

Jake1050

Posted: 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Correct me if Im wrong but besides having half as many plugs the 4.7 is much easier isn't it?
4X4
QC

dale3fan3

Posted: 12-23-2007, 04:53 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi2500
I just changed mine today at the 59K mileage mark. It took me about 3 hours to do the job and that included pulling drivers front tire and wheel liner (the best way to get the back 4 plugs). I checked the gap of the NGK plugs I pulled out that I put in at 25K and it was at .055. That's .010 increase in gap. Hoping my gas mileage improves some. I ended up going back to the stock Champion copper plug. From what I've seen and a lot of the comments from others, there is no significant advantage in anything but the stock plug.

I still need to change the plug wires. I'm thinking about getting 8mm Taylor.
Get shorties and dont look back. the 8.2 mm will be jusyt fine the heavier 10.??? is stiff and guys had them pop off alot. You can order them from henson motorsports from Art and I thin Bob at Moes sells them too.
Closed Thread