Windshield Wiper Park Switch - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Marksman007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Windshield Wiper Park Switch

My windshield wipers will not turn off when I turn the switch off. Service manual says that I have a "defective motor park switch". Is this the same switch that turns the wipers on & off? If it is, I was wondering if anybody on the forum would be willing to sell me one.

Thanks,
Gary

'83 W150 318
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM
charlie1935

It ain't the dash switch. Its on or in the wiper motor.

Grouchy Old Man
Sport short bed
R&S Automotive cat back duals
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
265 70x16 Firestone Destination LE tires
3.55 rear
99-01 sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs
MSD coil
Fram Boost intake -Freebie. I won it
Edelbrock shocks
Yes, grandpas like toys too

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
#3 Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
mikehopkinsjr

If it was the wiper switch on the dash you could put a heavy duty aftermarket toggle switch on instead of hunting for the stock one.
#4 Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Speed Dragon
Aka Force Fed Mopar

Yeah I'm pretty sure the park switch is in the motor assembly. I have a good used one if you need it.

Rob M.
'93 D150 RC SWB, 5.2 Magnum, NV4500 5-spd, 9.25" diff
'72 D100 RC LWB, PT project
#5 Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Marksman007

(Thread Starter)
Speed:
The motor I have is the intermittent type. If you have one of those email me with a price including shipping & I will get a check off too you.

Thanks for the help.

Gary
#6 Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Speed Dragon
Aka Force Fed Mopar

I'll see what I got, not sure I have an intermittent motor.

Rob M.
#7 Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Chump

The park switch is in the wiper motor.

If no one here has one then try your local auto parts stores for a rebuilt or www.car-part.com for a used one.

Some diagnostics...

Motor Will Not Operate In Any Switch Position
1. Place wiper switch in low position and listen to hear if motor is running.
2. If motor is running, but output shaft is not rotating, motor is defective. If drive shaft is turning, check drive link to output shaft or linkage for proper connection.
3. Check wiper system fuse on 1983-87 front wheel drive models and Dakota, and replace if necessary. If fuse blows again, proceed to step 7. If fuse does not blow, continue with next step.
4. Connect voltmeter between wiper motor terminal L and ground, leaving electrical connector in place. On all except 1983-87 front wheel drive models and Dakota, observe meter for several minutes to check circuit breaker. If circuit breaker is cycling, proceed to step 7.
5. If meter indicates approximately 12 volts, the motor is defective.
6. If voltmeter indicates no voltage at motor terminal L, and fuse or circuit breaker is satisfactory, check continuity of wiper system wiring and wiper switch. Repair wiring or replace switch as needed.
7. If wiper system fuse is blown on 1983-87 front wheel drive models and 1987 Dakota, or if circuit breaker is cycling on all other models, disconnect electrical connector to wiper motor. On 1983-87 front wheel drive models and 1987 Dakota , install a suitable test circuit breaker across wiper system fuse terminals.
8. Check voltage at terminal L in electrical connector to wiper motor.
9. If circuit breaker continues to cycle, check for short circuit in wiper system wiring or defective switch.
10. If meter indicates approximately 12 volts in step 8, and circuit breaker does not cycle, check motor as follows:
a. Remove wiper arm assemblies.
b. Connect positive lead of ammeter to battery positive post, and connect negative lead to motor terminal L.
c. If motor operates and draws less than 6 amps, motor is satisfactory, recheck switch, wiring and circuit breaker.
d. If motor does not operate, or operates but draws more than 6 amps, disconnect ammeter and remove crank arm retainer and arm from motor.
e. Repeat step b. If motor operates and draws 3 amps or less, repair wiper linkage. If motor does not operate, or operates but draws more then 3 amps, motor is defective.
Motor Operates At Either High Or Low Speed Only
1. If motor operates at low speed, place wiper switch in high position and connect test lamp between motor terminal H and ground. If motor operates at high speed, place wiper switch in low position and connect test lamp between motor terminal L and ground. Leave electrical connector connected to motor.
2. If test lamp does not light at motor terminal, there is an open circuit in wiper switch or wiring. If test lamp lights at motor terminal, motor is defective.
Wiper Motor Will Continue To Operate With Switch In Off Position
1. Remove wire connector and connect jumper wire from motor terminal L to terminal P2. Connect a second jumper wire from terminal P1 to battery. If motor runs to park position and stops, wiper switch is defective. If motor continues to operate and does not park, motor is defective.
Wipers Do Not Return To Park Position
1. Remove wiper motor wire connector and clean terminals.
2. Place wiper switch in park position.
3. Connect a voltmeter between terminals P1 and L. If a reading of 12 volts is obtained at terminal P1, check voltage at terminal P2. If voltage at terminal P2 is zero, motor is defective. If there is 12 volts at terminal P2, there is an open circuit in wiper switch or wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80-84 Wiper Motor Intermittent Connections.jpg (16.3 KB, 116 views)
#8 Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Speed Dragon
Aka Force Fed Mopar

Chump, do you know what the difference is between the intermittent motor and non-intermittent?

Rob M.
#9 Old 12-07-2007, 09:02 AM
ptannjr

I know i dont have an answer for this but i just bought a 3 POS pull switch from Pep Boys for under $5. My truck only had a rocker switch wired up to low speed only. I was just happy to now have high and low speed. Not that i drive it much just a nice option. Now there are 4 wires left in the wiper harness (looks like they were attached to the OEM wiper switch but that was long ago cut off i think) that i dont know what they are. I do however have the feature of where ever the wipers are when the switch is turned of, they stay. so i have to wait till the bottom of the cycle to get it to work right.
#10 Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
AMP762

chump you don't have the diagnostics for the pulse wipers rite handy do you,huh huh pretty please.
#11 Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 PM
farmguy

Had a problem w/ mine, sev yrs ago, turned out to be a bad ground.......Ran a ground wire from the motor to the fender well, started to work ok.....Id take a temp. ground wire, w/ alligater clips on each end, just to make sure its grounded........Thanks, Chump, for that detailed diagnostic on the wiper motor....I`m gonna print it , and save for future reference...........
#12 Old 12-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Marksman007

(Thread Starter)
OK I bought a motor from Napa & it won't be in for about a week. Napa cannot hook me up with the foam gasket that goes between the motor & the body or firewall. I cannot locate one. Do any of you guys have any idea where I can track one of these down?

Thanks,
Gary
#13 Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 PM
mikehopkinsjr

Whats it look like? What material?
#14 Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

This might sound unusual as a source for a gasket, but the packaging from most steaks is styrofoam although it isn't automotive grade.
Also the intermitant wiper motor has 2 additional wires that go to the dwell switch (see 7th post), a different dash switch and a delay box, at least this is the case on a van... I looked at installing one some years ago found a switch but never the motor or delay box to match.

Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300
#15 Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 AM
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman007
OK I bought a motor from Napa & it won't be in for about a week. Napa cannot hook me up with the foam gasket that goes between the motor & the body or firewall. I cannot locate one. Do any of you guys have any idea where I can track one of these down?

Thanks,
Gary

Wait until the motor arrives and see if there is a seal with it. If not then try Dodge under part# 2926168...if they no longer make it try here.
www.collectorsautosupply.com
#16 Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 AM
67coronet

Or you can use gasket paper.

2003 Dodge Durango SLT
1965 Dodge Coronet 440 318 Poly
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
1989 Dodge Ram Charger 318 f.i.-Soon to be 6bt
2001 Chevy Express Glass Van
1979 Dodge RamCharger 360 full time 4wd
I own an Auto Glass Company, So if you have ?'s about glass, just ask!
#17 Old 12-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Marksman007

(Thread Starter)
Here is a drawing of the gasket. It's real close to what the gasket looks like, the gasket is about 5/16" thick.

Chump thanks for the link & part number. I'm going to call dodge tomorrow & see if I can track one down.

Thanks,
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washer Motor Gasket.jpg (41.2 KB, 4 views)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.